Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
Looks like on the Corsair marked 211 that there is a camera mounted on the tail pointing underneath the plane. Should be an interesting camera angle.

That's the tail hook no??? :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:33 pm 

If you look at the 1st picture in the OP you can see the tailhook of the parked #211. The camera rig(?) is attached to the tailcone behind it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:36 pm 

Michel Lemieux wrote:
Quote:
Looks like on the Corsair marked 211 that there is a camera mounted on the tail pointing underneath the plane. Should be an interesting camera angle.

That's the tail hook no??? :roll: :wink:

No, see this picture:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnTerrell wrote:

I like that they're making an effort at making the pilots look the part, for the flight gear. I can make out some form of Mae West vest and what looks like a HGU-55 helmet but in white with the M-44 goggles. It's not a bad representation of the gear they wore in Korea. As this corsair is sitting on the ground, it might even be an actor in the cockpit for all I can tell.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:37 pm 

I read an article that interviewed the director, and his dad was either an aviator himself or was in military aviation. I think there’s hope here, and I like what I see so far with the attempts at accuracy. I was so afraid it was going to be all CGI.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:53 am 

https://deadline.com/2021/02/devotion-jonathan-majors-joe-jonas-story-behind-movie-jesse-brown-1234684266/amp/

This is the article I read. Director’s dad was indeed a naval aviator. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. It’s too bad that Hudner’s trip back to N Korea to try to find the crash site was cancelled due to foul weather. I can’t even imagine how much red tape that took just to get approval.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:49 am 

FutureCorsairOwner wrote:
This is the article I read. Director’s dad was indeed a naval aviator..

He was with the Blue Angels for two years as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I hadn't realized that the EAA Museum's F4U-4 Corsair (BuNo.97259) flew with Hudner's squadron (VF-32) after they returned from their Korean combat cruise, and was even flown by Hudner himself! It would have been great if they could've included it in the movie production somehow.

http://www.robmears.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:50 pm 

bdk wrote:
The director is not one of the usual suspects, so this could be much better than recent aviation war movie efforts. Aviation is also in his family. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Having Kevin LaRosa Jr as the aerial coordinator will also contribute to the potential success of this film. His family has been in the warbird community for many years. Having worked with Kevin myself, I will say that he was extremely competent and professional. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 pm 

I think this story needs to be told regardless especially in the polarized climate we currently have. Jesse Brown is a heroic character as is Tom Hudner and maybe some will see the relationship as an example to be emulated

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:08 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

rob23da wrote:
I think this story needs to be told regardless especially in the polarized climate we currently have. Jesse Brown is a heroic character as is Tom Hudner and maybe some will see the relationship as an example to be emulated
No question! I certainly can agree with that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

rob23da wrote:
I think this story needs to be told regardless especially in the polarized climate we currently have.

I agree, but I expect some backlash. A pal of mine shared this with a college class he teaches in the African American experience and his student really didn't like it.
"White savior" is the phrase he heard over and over again. He was asked in each class why there can't be a movie about a black man saving a white one instead of the other way around?
I have no comment, personally, just saying that he got that reaction each time he told classes about the movie, so I expect there'll be something like that in the pubic mindset when the film comes out...
:(

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:26 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

p51 wrote:
rob23da wrote:
"White savior" is the phrase he heard over and over again. He was asked in each class why there can't be a movie about a black man saving a white one instead of the other way around?
Yeah, that person was really overthinking the situation. You could also say that he thought his fellow pilot was "worth saving."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:01 pm 

p51 wrote:
rob23da wrote:
I think this story needs to be told regardless especially in the polarized climate we currently have.

I agree, but I expect some backlash. A pal of mine shared this with a college class he teaches in the African American experience and his student really didn't like it.
I have no comment, personally, just saying that he got that reaction each time he told classes about the movie, so I expect there'll be something like that in the pubic mindset when the film comes out...
:(

Maybe have them watch Bat 21?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The narrative that I find more interesting is that in the US and other countries, race relations was having some difficult times. Then here we are, a half a world away, and two guys of different skin color are risking their lives for one another. It is a story I look forward to telling with the museum's Corsair.