Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wendovertom wrote:
Yesterday I did hear that 21% of Americans are vaccinated so that is encouraging but COVID numbers are still out of control....
Tom P.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say the rates are much higher among the age, income and ethnic groups that are EAA members, pilots, warbird owners/fans and attendees in general.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:15 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The latest number is that 46% of Americans have been vaccinated. Something over 50% of adults.

My guess would be that the vaccination rates are lower among the OSH crowd, balancing all the demographic factors. And the rates of continuing to take reasonable precautions also are likely low.

August

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

B-17G "Yankee Lady" providing rides during the week.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... airventure

(Kindly forgive the delayed response...vacationing with family).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's July...three weeks to KOSH...time for bold-faced speculation to begin.

1) Gosshawk Unlimited--which typically updated its facebook page regularly--hasn't posted anything since December. Does this not scream Collings Fw-190F for anyone? And if the Butcher Bird is ready to go, won't the Gosshawk crew require the PB4Y-2 as a chase plane, nicht wahr?

2) Midwest Aero: Mike V hasn't posted anything since March. Does this not scream Me-109G for anyone?

As mentioned, all this is pure speculation. Who is knowledgeable enough to confirm/deny? :drink3:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:53 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Some details from CAF:

Quote:
Here are the top 10 #CAF1957 things to see at 2021 EAA #AirVenture:

1. Come check out our #Mustangs!
@cafredtailsquadron's #TuskegeeAirmen, @cafairbasegeorgia's Red Nose, and the infamous Gunfighter.

2. #DevilDog’s All-Female Crew
This aircraft always attracts a crowd, with its brilliant blue livery, you can’t miss it!

3. C-47 #ThatsAllBrother
The lead aircraft of the main aerial invasion on #DDay, based at the CAF #CentralTXWing in San Marcos, TX.

4. #Warbirds In Review
Pairing aircraft with those who built, flew, and maintained them.

5. #Warbird Rides in Janesville and Fond du Lac, WI
The #AirPower History Tour's B-29 #FIFI, B-24 #DiamondLil, and #AirbaseGeorgia's P-51 Red Nose rides are selling fast!

6. CAF #WarbirdTube Live From EAA AirVenture #OSH21
Join CAF Warbird Tube host Steve Buss for a truly behind-the-scenes tour of EAA AirVenture in #Oshkosh. The airshow announcer has spent decades on air interviewing pilots, performers, and important figures in aviation. Join him for a live, in-depth look from the EAA announcer stand.

7. Newly-Restored P-40 #Warhawk
This is one of the first public appearances since restoration. This includes a more authentic livery as a #FlyingTigers P-40 that was flown by Tex Hill.

8. CAF RISE ABOVE: Red Tail
Take a stroll to #KidVenture and be sure to visit the #RiseAbove Traveling Exhibit including the new RISE ABOVE WASP film.

9. Member Gathering
You can be sure to spot CAF members in the Navy Blue uniform shirt or CAF Flight Suit at EAA AirVenture. Don't forget to ask them about CAF membership!

10. TORA! TORA! TORA!
This is the Commemorative Air Force's re-creation of the Japanese attack on #PearlHarbor on December 7, 1941, which led to the formal involvement of the United States in #WWII.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

In addition to the P-38 and Hellcat, Fagen Fighters is sending the P-40K.

Per Stallion 51, Lee Lauderback will perform a solo P-51 routine Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

I am also betting the Dakota Territory Air Museum's newly completed Hurricane XII will be in attendance.

I'm really hoping the C-53 "Beach City Baby" will make it as well. Whether they make it this year or not, the work they have put in is simply incredible and should put them in line for a top award. I have a hard time imagining that there will be a more authentic and complete member of the DC-3/C-47/C-53/Dakota family flying once it is complete.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

kalamazookid wrote:
...I am also betting the Dakota Territory Air Museum's newly completed Hurricane XII will be in attendance...

Seems a solid bet as it's presently on the list for Air Expo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:12 pm 

Quote:
I'm really hoping the C-53 "Beach City Baby" will make it as well. Whether they make it this year or not, the work they have put in is simply incredible and should put them in line for a top award. I have a hard time imagining that there will be a more authentic and complete member of the DC-3/C-47/C-53/Dakota family flying once it is complete.

Matt, thanks for the kind words! We aren't gonna make it this year, but we are really gunning for next year! We have quite a bit of wiring to complete and ops checks/engine runs that will keep us on the ground for a little longer. Believe me, we are chomping at the bit!
John B.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Dakota Territory Air Museum's Hurricane and Spitfire are scheduled to be part of Warbirds in Review at Oshkosh on the Thursday of the event, and their P-51D Miss Kitty will be part of Warbirds in Review on the Saturday of the event (this was mentioned by Garbs, several posts back, as well). The DTAM are sending their Hurricane, Spitfire, P-51D Miss Kitty, P-51C Lope's Hope, and B-25 Betty's Dream to the AirExpo airshow in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, the weekend before Oshkosh, so we may very well see all five at Oshkosh too.

Charles Somers' recently-completed Spitfire Mk.XVI TB252, that was restored by Avspecs in New Zealand, should hopefully be coming to Oshkosh too, and would be a contender for the top award (one of the most fully-outfitted Spitfires flying). It had been the plan, at the start of 2020, to have it completed in-time to make it to Oshkosh last year, but then of course COVID took over (and it still had a lot of work remaining to be done at that time).

I would think that Kermit Weeks' A-26 might make it, and the Howard Hughes red Boeing 100 that has been under restoration with Roy Rhem, was looking awfully complete as of early last month - that would be another awesome one to see there.

Curious if we'll possibly see a "surprise" Corsair, or two, show up.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

"I would think that Kermit Weeks' A-26 might make it"

What ? Osh 2022 ?

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

phil65 wrote:
What ? Osh 2022 ?

The A-26 has had taxi tests recently, and has been painted. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. There is an award being presented to Carl Scholl at Oshkosh this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:48 pm 

Good to hear in Warbirds news that the VWC Corsair is repaired, along with the -7 of John O'Connor. Disclaimer !!! My Bad !! I should have rechecked my source, BOTH Corsairs Are Not Ready/ Repaired yet. My source was impressed with the repair of the John C. Bearcat, & with no ill intention was more about hopeful expectations for the same to the two Corsairs. Again, my Bad, my apologies to all. I will double check next time, ..no news of Kee bird !!

Last edited by Triplane102 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
Matt, thanks for the kind words! We aren't gonna make it this year, but we are really gunning for next year! We have quite a bit of wiring to complete and ops checks/engine runs that will keep us on the ground for a little longer. Believe me, we are chomping at the bit!
John B.

Thanks for the update! I've been following the page closely. I figured since there hadn't been any information on engine runs yet it was probably a bit further off than it looked. The paint scheme, nose art and attention to authenticity and detail throughout are all first class. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person some day.

Anthony Daniels wrote:
Good to hear in Warbirds news that the VWC Corsair is repaired, along with the -7 of John O'Connors.

Great news!

Any idea if Rod Lewis will be sending anything? I thought I saw the F4F-3 on a Warbirds in Review schedule somewhere, but I can't seem to find it back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:34 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Anthony Daniels wrote:
Good to hear in Warbirds news that the VWC Corsair is repaired, along with the -7 of John O'Connors.

Where are you seeing this? TY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NATA posting that Bud Anderson is also speaking at Warbirds in Review.

https://flynata.org/osh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next