Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Been doing a CAD model of the Merlin Engine just for fun

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Jim I found a copy, check your PM's. Hope to see something of the Zero soon.

Brenden, thanks for the encouragement.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:46 pm

rtwpsom2 wrote:Jim I found a copy, check your PM's. Hope to see something of the Zero soon.

Brenden, thanks for the encouragement.

Zero?
There was a good start of one but he got bored with it.
https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/m ... ect.31284/

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:22 am

Spitty,

Rob is talking about my attempting to use a Deagostini 1/16th A6M2-21 Zero kit as a template to scratchbuild in aluminum not only the -21, but a Rufe, A6M3s and an A6M5-52. I'm going to have to use Solidworks to make some of the tooling and maybe some parts, but I'm not planning on going whole hog on doing an entire Zero in Solidworks like Rob has on the Merlin or Shinpachi has on the Zero in the link you attached. Just learning Solidworks now and am in the planning and research stage of the actual building so it's going to be a long slog. Rob is my inspiration for working in Solidworks and Guillermo Rojas-Bazan is my inspiration for trying to scratchbuild the Zeros.

Mac

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:50 am

I was starting to do a Zero cockpit full size in design to maybe build one in the future.For anything Zero you need to talk to Taizo or Ronnie Osborne.
https://twitter.com/A6M232

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:47 am

Thanks for tips, Spitty. I visit Taizo's site often, but haven't made contact with him yet. I hadn't heard of Ronnie Osborn before and a Google search didn't turn up anybody with that name and a connection to the Zero. Do you have any more info on him? If so, could you PM me, so we don't hijack Rob's thread. I'd like to hear more on your Zero cockpit design.

Thanks again,

Mac

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:51 am

Interesting pic from taizo's site!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 am

Jim MacDonald wrote:Thanks for tips, Spitty. I visit Taizo's site often, but haven't made contact with him yet. I hadn't heard of Ronnie Osborn before and a Google search didn't turn up anybody with that name and a connection to the Zero. Do you have any more info on him? If so, could you PM me, so we don't hijack Rob's thread. I'd like to hear more on your Zero cockpit design.

Thanks again,

Mac

My bad spelling again.Its Ronnie Olsthoorn you should be chasing..Hes admin on this Zero Page on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417814 ... 571976272/
Sorry for derailing the Merlin thread.Back to your regular scheduled posts :)
Cant wait to see the cylinder heads.A mate started the Supercharger housing for a Merlin 46 quite a few years ago,not sure what he got up to.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Just a quick update to let you guys know I've completed the lower crankcase, a.k.a. the oil pan, casting. It's up on grabcad for those who want to download it. Please look forward to the machined part and complete assembly in the near future.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:38 pm

I need a really really big 3D printer...

Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:12 am

Just a quick update, but I have completed the latest subassembly of the Merlin. I have posted it at grabcad if anyone is interested.

https://grabcad.com/library/packard-v1650-7-merlin-lower-crankcase-assembly-1

Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:30 am

Nice detail!!Did you ever do the reduction gearbox cover and Intercooler?

Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:07 pm

Spitty wrote:Nice detail!!Did you ever do the reduction gearbox cover and Intercooler?

Not yet. If you look at my profile on that website you can see what I have done so far; the starter, the crankcase, and a couple of gearing assemblies. I do plan to do it all before I shuffle off but it's not a fast process.

Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:39 pm

Cheers mate :)

Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:31 pm

Progress update for St Paddy's Day, 2024. I have finished the cylinder cast and the machined parts for it. I have also finished the head castings.

As always, I am posting these to Grabcad, however because I am only going to upload the major assemblies of the BOM, the only thing I am posting right now are the castings. The completed machined assembly should be done in a few weeks.

https://grabcad.com/rob.mccune-1/models

Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:24 am

That's looking really good, Rob. Any plans to get it printed out full scale? How's the job search going?

Mac
Post a reply