Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Neptune
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:30 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great photos! I love the Neptune - too bad one or two are not still operable and going to air shows. I say this knowing that two radials mean a lot of gas and oil but I agree - a water drop air show act would be pretty cool! Roll an old clunker out there - set it on fire and let the water bomber "save" the day.

As an aside, I just cannot come to love the firebomber version of the PBY - I guess the warbird lover in me desperately wants to see the waist blisters, nose and tail turret.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:04 pm 

Great shots of the Aero-Union Neptunes, very sleek looking aircraft.

Was it Aero-Union's Neptunes that were scrapped by Government order a few years ago? I remember the horrifying pics of perfectly good Neptunes with lots of otherwise salvageable parts being bulldozed without ceremony. :(

I hope that kind of fate won't apply to those more recently retired??

On the subject of preserved Neptunes in flying condition, there are two examples flying in military colours with HARS in Australia.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:17 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

wendovertom wrote:

As an aside, I just cannot come to love the firebomber version of the PBY - I guess the warbird lover in me desperately wants to see the waist blisters......

I agree, a PBY without waist blisters looks wrong. Imagine the flush hatches reduced drag a bit, but there were never any concerns about Mach limiting speeds in the PBY..... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:45 pm 

It was really sad to see the last of the fire fighting Neptunes retired. I had hoped that at least one example might be preserved to be seen flying at air shows or other events, but alas that did not happen.

Nice that HARS in Australia has kept a couple airworthy. A LONG time ago (1980's/90's) the Mid-Atlantic Aviation Museum in Reading, PA had a flying example (SP-2H/P2V-7) in USN markings, but it has been long grounded. Erickson in Oregon also has one in U.S. Navy markings that has flown more recently, and it may still be "airworthy," but it flies very rarely if at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

jcochr50 wrote:
It was really sad to see the last of the fire fighting Neptunes retired. I had hoped that at least one example might be preserved to be seen flying at air shows or other events, but alas that did not happen.

Nice that HARS in Australia has kept a couple airworthy. A LONG time ago (1980's/90's) the Mid-Atlantic Aviation Museum in Reading, PA had a flying example (SP-2H/P2V-7) in USN markings, but it has been long grounded. Erickson in Oregon also has one in U.S. Navy markings that has flown more recently, and it may still be "airworthy," but it flies very rarely if at all.

I was wondering about the MAAM P2V - I have seen photos and it seemed like it was basically a time capsule plane. What grounded her? - just money or something else?

Tom P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jcochr50 wrote:
Erickson in Oregon also has one in U.S. Navy markings that has flown more recently, and it may still be "airworthy," but it flies very rarely if at all.

I saw that Neptune several years ago when it was in the blimp hangar at Tillamook. It looked like a real time capsule...so much so I was surprised when they flew it to Madras.
It's a nice example, I hope they do fly it occasionally.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:45 pm 
Taylorcraft Racing

sandiego89 wrote:
So I'd suggest that some fire bombers retained their RCAF scheme, and some P2Vs form US sources were later painted in something close to the Canadian scheme, perhaps for fleet consistency. The color and lighting bolt is indeed a sharp look.

It is interesting that the Canadian scheme became so widespread in the firebomber Neptune fleet, because, as best I can tell, only three RCAF Neptunes flew in the US as firebombers. All 24 remaining RCAF Neptunes - one crashed in RCAF service - were sold to the California Airframe Parts Company. Most were scrapped and reduced to spare in Saskatoon. Three were purchased by the Flying Fireman of Victoria BC and these moved to the US when it became apparent that the Neptunes could not be operated as firebombers in Canada. All three ex-RCAF Neptunes were destroyed in crashes.

The only Neptune on display in Canada is an ex-US Navy example.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:21 pm 

A few P2 pics from the Butts Rd Fire in Pope Valley from 2014. I had seen the plume of smoke from work, so I got home, grabbed the camera and went air tanker hunting. Found the fire at the north end of Pope Valley, just west of Lake Berryessa. There were a few S2 trackers working the fire and a couple UH-1s. Toward the end of the day the S2s went home, the UH1s had stopped for fuel and it was pretty quiet. Then, off in the distance the sound of a pair of radial engines appeared and grew louder. The wind shifted and suddenly there was Neptune Aviation's Tanker 43 overhead.

He made a few orbits around the fire, then dropped his load and went home. This was the only time I got to see a P2 doing its thing on a fire.

Apologies for the sub par pics. These were shot when I had a low resolution camera and a single 70-300mm lens.

Will

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Nice.... pop2

Phil