Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:01 pm 

This website now has over 400 period photos of stateside WWII training aircraft reflecting their respective Fuselage Letter Codes. I have restructured the displayed photos into subsections in each category(i.e. Basic, Adv, S-E, 2-E Transition, etc) to reflect the various training commands (e.g. WFTC, CFTC, EFTC, 1st AF, 2nd AF, etc). Examples of recent photo additions include "Z" coded P-63 assigned to Las Vegas AAF, "T" coded P-51's assigned to Dale Mabry AAF, "N" coded RP-39 assigned to Napier AAF. Thanks to people like yourselves I continually receive additional period photos for consideration and of course I always provide the names of the contributors
and or sources.

It's www.fuselagecodes.com

JDV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And may I add,

Without question one of the “Gold Standard” best websites relating to historical military aviation available. Meticulous research and presentation that’s a fine example of the good the Internet can offer.

Not nearly enough credit goes to the folks who spend so much of their time and effort creating and maintaining these sites. For many of us who care for this type of history we couldn’t be thankful enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:02 pm 

That is a great site and a wonderful resource. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication!

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:06 pm 

Let me add to the "thank you's". Super useful site. My only request would be if you could link your photos so they would open in a larger format. Getting older and the eyes just don't work like they did.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:53 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Always good stuff, John! Here's a Z-code Las Vegas B-17 for you:
Attachment:
B-17G trainer 42-31195 Z53 Las Vegas.jpg
B-17G trainer 42-31195 Z53 Las Vegas.jpg [ 202.36 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:07 am 

Chris

Thank you for ANOTHER GREAT find...a "Z" marked B-17! If you could forward that image to me I'll post it. It seems that Las Vegas AAF had quite a variety of aircraft utilized in their gunnery school and of course these A/C were not factory fresh but probably deemed excess to needs. Interestingly, I did see a photo of a wrecked "Z" coded Martin B-10 that had the1944-45 level insignia. A lot of variety at LVAAF and probably Kingman AAF as well.

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:43 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Is there a similar site for USN training aircraft?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 pm 

Hello bdk,

I am not aware of any such listing for WWII era USN / USMC training aircraft. Stuck in your home until the Covirus-19 blows over AND looking for something WWII aviation related to research? Now there is an opportunity for someone...

JDV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:27 pm 

To: Mark Allen, Chris Brame, Clifford Bossie, et.al.

I wish to thank you for all your kind comments and positive feedback about my website. Needless to say the site is far from complete but I keep plugging away at it. Identifying the various AAF's and their actual training role, determining their field letter code (if at all) and ultimately finding a period photo is a most challenging task.

Fortunately, many readers have forwarded photos (handed down) that were taken with personal cameras during WWII (Verboten!) and consequently I have been blessed with some very unique images. I love this stuff!!

Thanks again to all contributors,

JDV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:01 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I just HAD to ask! ;-)

jdvoss wrote:
Hello bdk,

I am not aware of any such listing for WWII era USN / USMC training aircraft. Stuck in your home until the Covirus-19 blows over AND looking for something WWII aviation related to research? Now there is an opportunity for someone...

JDV