Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/misspickup

Any up-dates ?

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:30 pm 

phil65 wrote:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/misspickup

Any up-dates ?

Phil

Updates are being posted on the GoFundMe page as fresh news is available.

Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:10 am 

I was a little shocked in the plea for funding where tgey suggest that if the money could not be raised, that she would be left for the winter in place. Any organization running an aircraft such as this really ought to have a maintence fund to deal with repairs of all types. Considering standard maintenance and operating costs, if they dont have 20K available, the whole program is basicaly on life support.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:15 am 

Mick G wrote:
I was a little shocked in the plea for funding where tgey suggest that if the money could not be raised, that she would be left for the winter in place. Any organization running an aircraft such as this really ought to have a maintence fund to deal with repairs of all types. Considering standard maintenance and operating costs, if they dont have 20K available, the whole program is basicaly on life support.

Hi,

Are you aware of the current situation, like a little pandemic having cancelled the majority of airshow and so having cut short the majority of the income of association owning and operating warbirds ?
It looks like they're indeed wealthy before the crisis to be able to fly a bit this year, where others operators never put their plane outside the hangar not even for a ground run.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:33 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

If they did not have a spare engine last year, they certainly wouldn't this year!

If this organization were run as a business might, you would expect them to have some spare parts so they could continue their money-making operations. If they merely fly when they can to honor who they can, it probably doesn't matter. As Mick G states however, that doesn't give one confidence that the organization has the means to keep the aircraft airworthy in the long-term. They may be only one engine failure away from the aircraft going derelict or sinking into the abyss.

Some museums do operate like this however, and rely on wealthy donors or crowd-funding schemes to step in during a time of critical need. That really isn't a plan though and the funding could take 5 days or 5 years to materialize. I do wish them luck though. Having the aircraft sit exposed for the winter may incur additional maintenance expenses beyond the engine.

Iclo wrote:
Are you aware of the current situation, like a little pandemic having cancelled the majority of airshow and so having cut short the majority of the income of association owning and operating warbirds ?
It looks like they're indeed wealthy before the crisis to be able to fly a bit this year, where others operators never put their plane outside the hangar not even for a ground run.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It looks like they're getting close to their financial goal.
No dog in this fight, but give if you can...

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:18 pm 

I seem to remember similar fund raising in the past for engine changes etc , I think the most recent was for a engine change on a B-17 . it may be more to cover the cost's of getting the engine there and swapped , I'd be suprised if there would be an engine available in the U.K at short notice otherwise.
In these strange times the operators are looking to make their money go further .
Regards and stay safe ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:04 pm 

If you watch this video, which is on the Gofundme page, from Matt Dearden who set up the go fund me page and is one of the volunteer pilots, he goes into some of the cost involved and just to get it into the position it is now, on dry land, has cost approx £13,000 (about $16,500). They haven't had to purchase a spare engine, they already had one, which has been transported to Loch Ness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DypuCTa ... e=emb_logo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:32 pm 

bdk wrote:
If they did not have a spare engine last year, they certainly wouldn't this year!

If this organization were run as a business might, you would expect them to have some spare parts so they could continue their money-making operations. If they merely fly when they can to honor who they can, it probably doesn't matter. As Mick G states however, that doesn't give one confidence that the organization has the means to keep the aircraft airworthy in the long-term. They may be only one engine failure away from the aircraft going derelict or sinking into the abyss.

Some museums do operate like this however, and rely on wealthy donors or crowd-funding schemes to step in during a time of critical need. That really isn't a plan though and the funding could take 5 days or 5 years to materialize. I do wish them luck though. Having the aircraft sit exposed for the winter may incur additional maintenance expenses beyond the engine.

With all the respect needed, what are you speaking for ?
They lost almost all their revenues this year with all airshows cancelled in the UK and I think a single airshow in France few weeks ago, but succeed to keep the plane flying and were practising crew recurency training when this failure happened. They have a spare engine ready, they just asked for a bit of help for the extra cost caused by having to crane the plane on the dry. How do they have to operate this plane to make you happy ?

I guess you have similar criticism about the Liberty Bell Foundation and they crowfunding for part of the restoration ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:09 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Iclo, I'm speaking in generalities because I have no direct information about this group and it is my own opinion based upon my observations and limited powers of logic.

Sounds like they already had a spare engine which is good. Crowdfunding probably is viable for problems due to a single event, but like I said, that is not a "plan," it is a reaction to the event. The plan was having a spare engine which they apparently had in place.

For a long-term restoration, I would think there are multiple campaigns to raise funds and crowdfunding is only one aspect of that effort. But I have no information about that either.

Iclo wrote:
bdk wrote:

With all the respect needed, what are you speaking for ?
They lost almost all their revenues this year with all airshows cancelled in the UK and I think a single airshow in France few weeks ago, but succeed to keep the plane flying and were practising crew recurency training when this failure happened. They have a spare engine ready, they just asked for a bit of help for the extra cost caused by having to crane the plane on the dry. How do they have to operate this plane to make you happy ?

I guess you have similar criticism about the Liberty Bell Foundation and they crowfunding for part of the restoration ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:44 am 

bdk,

To be honnest, I think your analyse doesn't match for this group : they always operated this bird very professionnaly, and as far I remember it's the first time they launch this kind of fundraising : having to crane the plane to the dry is a very unexpected event. If the engine had failed on a regular airport I guess they didn't have to do this campaign.

But I understand your opinion, who had more matched with the Vulcan organization, who lived on permanent fundrizing with message like "If we doesn't meet the XXXX goal for this date, the Vulcan will never fly again and all the money you have already given will be lost, etc"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:09 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hopefully the Miss Pick-Up crew will recover soon from this unfortunate event. After presumably suffering a reduced flying season due to this pandemic, they venture out to put a little money in the bank, and get a swift kick in the 'nads for their reward. Good luck folks! Stiff upper lip...carry on! Keep 'em flying lads 'n lasses! :drink3:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:55 am 

The RH engine is now off, they will need about a week in the workshop to build up the replacement engine with accessories, carb, hoses, mount and cowling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:46 am 

Iclo wrote:
Mick G wrote:

Hi,

I stand by what i said. You don't operate a Warbird program like this on a shoestring budget or you will find yourself in this situation sooner or later. I guess the thing that bugs me most, is not being honest about the need for money. If they did the gofund me and explained everything, it would sit better than to threaten that the aircraft sit over the winter which could compromise the airframe. There is no need for scare tactics or guilt trips with the donors, all they needed to say was that they needed cash. Enough said.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:46 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Iclo, I think we are in full agreement! Seems that they were well prepared for everything but this unusual event. From the reports, it seems they have everything well in hand.

Iclo wrote:
To be honnest, I think your analyse doesn't match for this group : they always operated this bird very professionnaly, and as far I remember it's the first time they launch this kind of fundraising : having to crane the plane to the dry is a very unexpected event. If the engine had failed on a regular airport I guess they didn't have to do this campaign.

But I understand your opinion, who had more matched with the Vulcan organization, who lived on permanent fundrizing with message like "If we doesn't meet the XXXX goal for this date, the Vulcan will never fly again and all the money you have already given will be lost, etc"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next