Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

wendovertom wrote:

I have not read Fred's book - probably should one of these days. I have to admit, having been able to interview the 509th CG's XO, Tom Classen, my opinion of Sweeny is probably a bit jaded. Classen had a great deal of combat experience and more flight time over Sweeny but Classen and Tibbetts did not see eye to eye and Sweeny got the mission and dang near blew it....

I should also read the Decision Nagasaki Randy mentions and the trilogy Joe recommends.

as for the "dang near blew it", it seems multiple factors were in play, and indeed likely personalities. From Sweeny's account in his book, the big factors seemed to be:

- The aux. bomb bay fuel tank unable to transfer (mechanical problem) Not enough time to switch aircraft or fix without a costly mission scrub. (pressure to not scrub due to narrow weather window, and to keep up the image that strikes could be generated in quick fashion)
- Photo ship failed to rendezvous. Sweeny was quite adamant he had told Hopkins where to rendezvous, and others seem to support that. Bock in the instrumentation ship had no problem with the rendezvous. Seems there were personality issues at play, Hopkins seemed like he didn't want to be told how to do his job (human factors). Sweeny extended his orbit for longer than briefed (human factors, combined with bomb/mission commander directing extension) Hopkins broke radio silence causing confusion (human factor)
- Obscured target. 3 runs were attempted on primary under rules to bomb visually. (Environmental factors, exacerbated by delays)
- Barely made it Okinawa on fumes- combination of weather, mechanical and human factors.

It does seem there were personality issues within the BG and some sour grapes. Perhaps Hopkins, Classen and others all thought they were more deserving of a strike mission, but that Tibbets chose Sweeny speaks volumes to me. Some sources indicate Hopkins was ready to take a mission when Tibbets was away for a few days on a unknown side trip.

Sweeny seems quite clear of his understanding of the mission importance, and specifically recalls his being told about the "value" of his airframe and crew in relation to the cargo immediately before the mission.

I tend to give the strike crew that day the benefit of the doubt. They accomplished the mission under difficult circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

We spent a long weekend wtih a couple of former TBM Inc folks and got the firefightingtank removed. A little bittersweet as it is the end of an era.

But the plane will be preserved and is a potential flyer in the future should funds be available to take on that project. Here are a few photos from the event.

Tom P.

ImagePXL_20210326_225212736 by Tom Petersen, on Flickr

ImagePXL_20210327_154324754 by Tom Petersen, on Flickr

ImagePXL_20210327_154305263 by Tom Petersen, on Flickr

ImagePXL_20210327_154259154 by Tom Petersen, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

wendovertom wrote:
We spent a long weekend wtih a couple of former TBM Inc folks and got the firefightingtank removed.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what happens to the tank? Do the TBM guys still have a use for it?

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Noha307 wrote:
wendovertom wrote:
We spent a long weekend wtih a couple of former TBM Inc folks and got the firefightingtank removed.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what happens to the tank? Do the TBM guys still have a use for it?

Not a dumb question at all - the museum is most likely going to scrap it. With the retirement of the last DC-7 aerial tanker there is no need for a tank like this one. Also, the corrosive nature of the fire fighting slurry has caused a couple of serious issues on the left side of the tank. TBM Inc. closed shop quite sometime ago as I understand (correct me if I am wrong).

Tom P.