Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 pm 

michael luther wrote:
We are very excited to announce,

The theme aircraft for the 2021 THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN Air Show will be the B-25 Mitchell!

Didn't you announce that at the end of August?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:19 am 

First 2021 participant,

Brent Hisey's B-25J Mitchell "SUPER RABBIT"! :wink:

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:24 am 

michael luther wrote:
First 2021 participant,

Good start Michael! Hopefully the beginning of a record gathering of Mitchells next August.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:16 am 

michael luther wrote:
First 2021 participant,

it begins!!!

Can't wait to see what you manage to pull out of the woodwork for next years show!!

Sean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:25 am 

Just added,

The Liberty Aviation Museum's B-25J Mitchell "Georgie's Gal"!

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:46 pm 

jcochr50 wrote:
michael luther wrote:
All,

The theme for the 2021 THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN Air Show will be "Mitchell Madness".

NICE Theme! The last time Thunder had B-25's as a theme aircraft was 2007 when FIFTEEN Mitchells showed up.

Maybe we can shoot for TWENTY this time.

Look forward to next August.

That long ago, holy moly !
I was there, quite a kick to see all those beautiful twin engined demons tearing around the sky.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:47 pm 

A26 Special K wrote:
Having flown a B-25 for several years, I am partial to Mitchells, but this has already been done several times. What about an A-26 Invader Invasion?

Whats to stop some 26's from joining them, how many flyable are there ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Not sure what the actual count of A-26’s flyable is right now, but I can count about 10 just offhand. The question was asked about some A-26’s showing up anyway. That could happen if sponsored by the show. For Kay to come to Michigan from Texas would cost around $20,000 in expenses. That’s why you won’t see an A-26 show up unless it lives closer or has a sponsor behind it. Wanting to come is one thing. Having to write the check is another. There are too many people who have very little understanding about just how expensive these airplanes are to operate now. That’s not a criticism, but something the operators need to share with fans and enthusiasts so they understand it has to be a business decision. Our organization tries to break even on what we charge a show and then hope we get donations to cover the rest because most shows can’t afford to pay for our direct expenses. It is an unfortunate reality. There are many different airplanes I would like to see at a show as a fan, but as one who has managed airshows and been a performer as well, it is a different picture on the other side of the show line. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:53 am 

Well sure, I didn't mean to be flippant and suggest you just take a joy ride up here for the pleasure of flying.
Of course performers have to be compensated for their efforts and considerable expenses, which they would also have to be if they were "theme" aircraft. But I can see that, by concentrating on a certain type would leave less a chance for other types due to financial considerations.

Hope there is [will be] a premium jet act[s] on the bill, which boost ticket sales which should lead to more attractions.
Congrats on your bird, couldn't follow much as I don't do FB but what a beauty, an astounding effort and devotion to get her where she is today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

No, no, you were not flippant at all. It just reminded me that to take the opportunity to discuss the costs of operating a large warbird. This year has been especially brutal in that maintenance, insurance and hangar rent still goes on with very little income. Our Facebook page is open to the public. You do not have to be a FB member or log in to view it. To comment you do, but you can see all of our photos. Try it. http://www.Facebook.com/a26specialkay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:48 pm 

I'm gonna pass on clicking any fb link thanks, its personal.

Obviously you would have a far greater understanding into the dynamics of airshows in general, and maintaining/operating a vintage medium bomber in particular, than me or most anyone else, and look forward to your insights and thoughts, and hope to see your awesome bird in action some day.

I imagine things have got be to brutal with the current situation, let me ask you this though - Have there been any changes to flying passengers in the wake of the Nine-O-Nine crash ? [Or maybe you never progressed that route with your aircraft, don't know]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Each operator of an experimental or limited class airplane has to file a request for an Exemption from the rule of not using these airplanes for hire with the FAA. The Collings Foundation operated 9-0-9 on that type of Exemption and it has been rescinded last I heard. We only sell rides on the DC-3 which is a standard category airplane and does not require an Exemption, but I am also involved with the CAF A-26 in our hangar which operates on the CAF Exemption. The B-29 and B-24 sell rides that way. The B-29 has been doing brisk sales on the limited appearances they are making. The Corona virus makes them stay close to home and do out and back trips rather than their usual tour schedule. Insurance rates have gone up though on most all warbirds because of the 9-0-9 incident. That’s the biggest issue. Kay and our T-33 are both in the Experimental category. We do not have enough seats to make it profitable to sell rides so have not pursued the Exemption. That answer your question?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In your opinion how many seats could you offer and what would be the price to make it profitable ?

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 pm 

A26 Special K wrote:
Each operator of an experimental or limited class airplane has to file a request for an Exemption from the rule of not using these airplanes for hire with the FAA. The Collings Foundation operated 9-0-9 on that type of Exemption and it has been rescinded last I heard. We only sell rides on the DC-3 which is a standard category airplane and does not require an Exemption, but I am also involved with the CAF A-26 in our hangar which operates on the CAF Exemption. The B-29 and B-24 sell rides that way. The B-29 has been doing brisk sales on the limited appearances they are making. The Corona virus makes them stay close to home and do out and back trips rather than their usual tour schedule. Insurance rates have gone up though on most all warbirds because of the 9-0-9 incident. That’s the biggest issue. Kay and our T-33 are both in the Experimental category. We do not have enough seats to make it profitable to sell rides so have not pursued the Exemption. That answer your question?

I believe it does answer the question, never did offer rides to paying customers so not a factor for you at the moment.
What is your function with the 26, just curious. I know, all that and more could be explained in one click but I have serious, long standing issues with fb and I feel like 1 click will violate my convictions.
I know I am missing out, and I realize many people in positions like your cannot possibly avoid social media ,,, I actually do [did] have an account and over the last 5 years sent 3 messages, one of condolences to Robin Trower when he posted that his wife had passed away, and 2 to people I think I might have known as a kid, not sure if they ever replied or what.
OK I'm digressing here sorry, but last time I checked a couple years ago said my account was hacked and had to be reset or something and I didn't think it was worth the bother. Why someone would hack my boring ass is beyond me.

But mad props to you and your crew for the work you have done restoring this beauty, I did follow on your post here but got distracted when most updates just seemed to be links back to fb.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:31 pm 

michael luther wrote:
Just added,

The Liberty Aviation Museum's B-25J Mitchell "Georgie's Gal"!

SECOND B-25 Announced and over 9 months to the show. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next