Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Ex-TFLM FG-1D sold?!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:22 pm 

Courtesy Aircraft sales log seems to lead me to believe so!

Post subject: Re: Ex-TFLM FG-1D sold?!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

As I understand it, it was one of the 5 former TFLM warbirds that were owned/sponsored by Ed Bosarge who decided to get out warbirds and pursue other interests, resulting in the sale of the hangar at Ellington Field as well as the sale of the P-40K and Avenger (sold to the Mid America Flight Museum), the sale of the Zero ( to Ron Lauder), the Corsair now being sold, and the B-25 "Betty's Dream" being the last yet to be sold (the Corsair and B-25 have been for sale for the past couple years, but weren't listed publicly, though the B-25 is now).

The rest of the former Texas Flying Legends warbirds have been under separate ownership/sponsorship (Bruce Eames) and have been and will be, as far as I know, remaining together at the Dakota Territory Air Museum - P-51C, 3xP-51D's, P-40E, Spitfire Mk.IX, Wildcat, Hawker Hurricane, Bearcat, C-53, Harvard and L-5, as well as the P-47 and eventual P-38 restoration projects at AirCorps Aviation. I haven't heard anything recent on the Bearcat, but it was supposed to have been flying again as of last August after getting its engine back. I haven't heard anything on the Hurricane in recent weeks, but it was being anticipated to have its first test flights back in May and was going to be making a few airshow appearances this summer prior to the COVID outbreak.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:08 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Did the Bearcat ever fly? I heard a while back that there were paperwork issues, and rather lost track of it after that.

That Corsair has a history that includes a genuine, authenticated Zero kill! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'd forgotten about that Zero kill. :)

The Bearcat flew in 2018, but they found metal in the screens after an early test flight. It was supposed to be at Oshkosh last summer, but Warren Pietsch, at the Warbirds in Review program, said it wasn't ready in time but that they were planning on flying it within the next month (August 2019), but I haven't heard/seen anything since then on the subject.

Here is a screen grab of the Bearcat from the film that was the background to the Warbirds in Review program last year that was supposed to have featured the aircraft, seen here landing with Stewart Dawson at the controls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:39 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just an update on the ex-TFLM Corsair, N209TW - the new owner is Tom Duffy. Duffy of course used to own the FG-1D "Marine's Dream" some years ago prior to selling the aircraft to Scott Glover.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JohnTerrell wrote:
Just an update on the ex-TFLM Corsair, N209TW - the new owner is Tom Duffy. Duffy of course used to own the FG-1D "Marine's Dream" some years ago prior to selling the aircraft to Scott Glover.

Wow! That was unexpected! I thought he was getting out of the fighters in exchange for larger aircraft to take his family and whatnot. Awesome to know we'll have another Corsair so close to Stratford again!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

Last edited by Warbird Kid on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It surprised me too. The aircraft was test flown at Minot this morning, where its been sitting displayed at the Dakota Territory Air Museum. The last time it flew I think was in 2018 on a photo flight out of Minot. I've always loved the looks of N209TW in particular, with the -1A style framed canopy and the fantastic job that John Lane/Airpower Unlimited did on the tri-color paint scheme and all of the extreme authentic detailing throughout. I was also surprised to realize today that it has already been 10 years since that aircraft was originally completed and debuted at Oshkosh, where it won the WWII Grand Champion award that year.

As far as Corsairs in the northeast, that would now make it soon-to-be 5?

FG-1D N209TW - Tom Duffy (New Jersey)
FG-1D N43FG - Louis Horschel (New York)
FG-1D N83JC - Ron Lauder (New York)
F4U-5 N45NL - Collings Foundation (typically based in Massachusetts, but recently has been spending time at Hangar 743 in New York)
FG-1D N67HP - David Prescott/Hangar 743 (New York) - Under restoration at Airpower Unlimited since 2017

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 am 

I'm glad to hear it's gone to a good home! It's such a unique restoration among the flying Corsairs.

Regarding N43FG, when did it leave SC? I was really hoping to catch that one at an airshow one of these days. Side note, why does the FAA have it listed as a "Barry Avent FG-1D" with serial # BA45FG-1 vs being a Goodyear FG-1D. I had thought this airframe was Buno.88090, ex RNZAF?

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29449

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:28 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Nice to see Mr. Duffy acquiring a fighter again. It looked to me like he was easing out of warbirds for a while there. He must have won a few big verdicts!

August

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

FutureCorsairOwner wrote:
Side note, why does the FAA have it listed as a "Barry Avent FG-1D" with serial # BA45FG-1 vs being a Goodyear FG-1D. I had thought this airframe was Buno.88090, ex RNZAF?

Imported without provenance to the bureau number I’d imagine. No paper trail from military release. As an aircraft built from scrapped parts it is like a salvage title for a car.