Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Kiwi Ventura's ...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PV-1's in RNZAF Service.

From August 1942, 487 Squadron RNZAF, (operating in Europe as part of the RAF), was equipped with the type, although losses (including on 3 May 1943 the loss of all 11 aircraft attacking Amsterdam), lead to their replacement with the de Havilland Mosquito in June.

The Royal New Zealand Air Force in the Pacific received 139 Venturas and some Harpoons from June 1943 to replace Lockheed Hudsons in the maritime patrol bomber and medium bomber roles. Initially Venturas were unpopular with the RNZAF due to rumoured poor performance on one engine, the fate of Squadron Leader Leonard Trent VC of 487 Squadron (above) as well as the failure of the U.S. to provide New Zealand with promised B-24 Liberators. Despite that the RNZAF Venturas came to be among the most widely used of any nation's, seeing substantial action until VJ Day over South West Pacific islands.

The first 19 RB-34s that arrived by sea from the U.S. in June had much equipment either missing or damaged. Six airworthy machines were hurriedly produced by cannibalization and sent into action with No. 3 Squadron RNZAF in Fiji. On 26 June the first PV-1s were flown to Whenuapai and No. 1 Squadron RNZAF was able to convert to 18 of these by 1 August, then replacing the mixed 3 Squadron in action at Henderson Field, Guadacanal in late October.

By this time No. 2 Squadron RNZAF at Ohakea and No. 9 Squadron RNZAF were also using the type. The following year No. 4 Squadron RNZAF and No. 8 Squadron RNZAF also received Venturas. Some squadrons were retained on garrison duty while others followed the allied advance to Emirau and Green Island and to New Britain. RNZAF Venturas were tasked with routine patrols, anti-shipping strikes, minelaying, bombing and strafing missions, air-sea rescue patrols, and photographic reconnaissance missions. In an apparently bizarre case of taking Lockheed's marketing slogan of The Fighter-Bomber too literally, even briefly, Venturas conducted fighter sweeps.

RNZAF machines often clashed with Japanese fighters, notably during an air-sea rescue patrol on Christmas Eve 1943. NZ4509 was attacked by nine Japanese single-engined fighters over St. George's Channel. It shot down three, later confirmed, and claimed two others as probables, although it suffered heavy damage in the action. The pilot, Flying Officer D. Ayson and navigator, Warrant Officer W. Williams, were awarded the DFC. The dorsal turret gunner Flight Sergeant G. Hannah was awarded the DFM.

By late 1944 the Ventura began to be phased out of front line action as the RNZAF backed away from the Patrol Bomber concept, orders for PV-2 Harpoons were canceled after a handful of aircraft had been delivered. At VJ Day only 30 PV-1 aircraft remained on the front-line with No. 3 Squadron at Jacquinot Bay.

Planned re-equipment with de Havilland Mosquitos did not take place until after the cessation of hostilities. The last Ventura unit was No. 2 Squadron, which continued to operate PV-1 and PV-2 aircraft on meteorological duty until 1948

Photo Credit: Air Force Museum of New Zealand

3/4 front view of Ventura NZ4541 'C', believed to be from No. 1 Operational Training Unit, RNZAF Station Ohakea.

The New Zealand Governor General, Sir Cyril Newall, with No. 1 Squadron personnel. Believed to be at Munda, New Georgia.
NZ4503 and NZ4509 among line-up of Venturas in the background.

No. 10 Servicing Unit PV-1 Venturas at Piva, Bougainville. NZ4518 (near) and NZ4503 (far). Dodge weapons carrier in foreground is MT1977.

No. 1 Squadron Venturas in their dispersal area on Henderson Field, Guadalcanal.
Aircraft on charge to No. 10 Servicing Unit.
NZ4521 in foreground.
Joins with PR2242 to form a panorama.

No. 10 Servicing Unit personnel overhaul Pratt and Whitney (Ventura) engines. Piva, Bougainville.
Ventura NZ4515 in the background.

No. 10 Servicing Unit personnel manoeuvre a Pratt and Whitney (Ventura) engine on a gantry. Piva, Bougainville.

Groundcrew load equipment into a No. 10 Servicing Unit Ventura. Emirau.

Air to air view of No. 2 Squadron Ventura NZ4638 over Buka Passage, North Bougainville.
Aircraft flying from Green Island.
NZ4638 on charge to 14 Servicing Unit.

Air to air view of No. 2 Squadron Ventura NZ4638 circling a ship in Green Island lagoon.
Aircraft on charge to No. 14 Servicing Unit.

Air to air view of No. 2 Squadron Ventura NZ4638 over Buka Passage, North Bougainville. Aircraft flying from Green Island.
Aircraft on charge to No. 14 Servicing Unit.

Air to air of Lockheed PV-1 Venturas dropping bombs over Rabaul. Aircraft flying from Green Island.

Air to air view of a USAF B-25 Mitchell leading two RNZAF Venturas over Rabaul. Aircraft flying from Green Island.

Air to air view of a formation of RNZAF Venturas and USAF B-25 Mitchells on a mission to bomb Rabaul. Aircraft flying from Green Island.

Air to air view of RNZAF Ventura NZ4616.

Air to air view of four No. 1 Squadron [?] Venturas in formation. Presumed to be flying from RNZAF Station, Whenuapai.
NZ4513 (front) and NZ4503 (second)

Air to air view of No. 1 Squadron Ventura NZ4608 over Simpson Harbour, Rabaul.

Air to air view of No. 4 Squadron Ventura NZ4558. Emirau.

Air to air view of two Venturas in formation dropping bombs on Rabaul.

Post subject: Re: Kiwi Ventura's ...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark,
Thanks for posting these. In the third picture, the vehicle in the foreground is not a Dodge Weapons Carrier, or at least not one like I've ever seen. It has a standard US Service tail light on it, but I am asking for collective wisdom to identify it. I am not familiar with that vehicle.

The photos reminded me of a book a friend gave me, "The Last Flight of Bomber 31." It is a great story about the B-34's/B-37's flown out of the Aleutians attacking Japanese targets during WWII. Good read.

Best Regards- Forgotten Field

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:31 pm 

Did they have American .50 cals or British .30 cals?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:11 pm 

They kept the .50 cals in the upper turret and fixed forward firing positions and kept the .30 cals in the tunnel gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:45 am 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 pm 

Fine photos of an under-appreciated aircraft. I wonder if the sole remaining example (in Canada) will ever be restored to flight?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:10 pm 

Mark Sampson wrote:
Fine photos of an under-appreciated aircraft. I wonder if the sole remaining example (in Canada) will ever be restored to flight?

You mean the last one that is in Canada, rather than the last one (which is in Canada)?

ImageVentura hasn't looked this good for years! by Errol Cavit, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:03 am 

Some very interesting pics and history, thanks for sharing these. The pic with the B25 lead-ship is an interesting one, I'm guessing with solid noses the Venturas had no bombsights??

On the subject of surviving Venturas, the one in Canada looks like being the only one likely to ever fly again (the project seems to have gone very quiet in recent years though). There was also the Australian example that suffered a belly landing a couple of decades ago and has since been permanently grounded.

The South African Air Force kept a number of Venturas in service up to about 1960 and several of these survive in varying states of preservation. One ex-SAAF example is in storage with the RAF Museum at Cosford, awaiting static restoration.

I'd be interested to see any pics/history of Harpoons in RNZAF service, I never realised the Harpoon saw NZ use.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:41 pm 

I noted that all the posted photos of the RNZAF Ventura's have 'solid noses'. However, reviewing the lasted posted COLOUR photo( taken in Canada) is it possible that the pictured A/C is actually a Hudson ??? From the angle it is hard for me to tell for sure other than the classic nose windows which were characteristic of the A-28 /A-29.

What's your take????

JDV
www.fuselagecodes.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 pm 

My photo is of MOTAT's (Auckland) RB-34 NZ4600 (properly 'Lexington', but always referred to as 'Ventura'). The RNZAF operated both PV-1s and B-34s. A brief search hasn't brought up good descriptions of the various nose configurations of different models. My hunting about did find a couple of forum threads that included 'are we sure that isn't a Hudson', definitely tricky from some angles.

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/nz-serials/nzventura.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jdvoss wrote:
I noted that all the posted photos of the RNZAF Ventura's have 'solid noses'. However, reviewing the lasted posted COLOUR photo( taken in Canada) is it possible that the pictured A/C is actually a Hudson ??? From the angle it is hard for me to tell for sure other than the classic nose windows which were characteristic of the A-28 /A-29.

What's your take????

JDV
http://www.fuselagecodes.com

The Hudson never mounted an R-2800. Compare to the linked Ventura pic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... CH8885.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:32 am 

Regarding the 487 Squadron raid. 10 of the 11 aircraft were shot down by either fighters or flak. One aircraft did manage to make it back to a base in England but was badly shot up.
I just read the history of 487(NZ) Squadron called Through to the End and I thoroughly recommend it. The Ventura was nicknamed the Pig on the Squadron, not because it was a bad aeroplane but because of its unsuitability for the role they were asked to use it for. The Mosquito was much better for the role, mainly low level intruder type missions where speed and an easy handling machine was necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:11 am 

The European Venturas had the glazed nose as per the B-34.