Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:43 pm 

Restoration update on the Desert Rat B-17E. This is a restoration to return a vary rare E model B-17 to flight. She will be the oldest airworthy B-17 when she takes to the skies.

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restora ... QDvr_CKca0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:14 pm 

I certainly don't want this to open a can of worms...that these days seems to happen with everything...but I am not sure this project ever gets completed to airworthy status. I feel I donated to this project about a decade ago (up at Thunder over Michigan?)...if not longer. I applaud their efforts and when given the opportunity will continue to support it but my gut tells me I will be 90 years old and there will be a new thread on the "Restoration Update of Desert Rat."

Is there any way we could get this more press where the "big donors" could get involved and really lend a helping hand like with Doc?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:05 pm 

We are working on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:26 pm 

Even a well funded single engine fighter restoration can take upwards of 10 years, sometimes more. with a project of this magnitude it takes an awful long time. There has been substantial progress especially in the last few years. All donations have been greatly appreciated and certainly the restoration team has made good use of these donations. Efforts are underway to get more exposure for this effort, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime if folks want to help but are unable to contribute financially, they can be a huge help by simply spreading the word about this restoration. For additional info folks can go to www.vintageaviationmuseum.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/cww2/c108.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:25 pm 

hurricane_yank wrote:
I certainly don't want this to open a can of worms...that these days seems to happen with everything...but I am not sure this project ever gets completed to airworthy status. I feel I donated to this project about a decade ago (up at Thunder over Michigan?)...if not longer. I applaud their efforts and when given the opportunity will continue to support it but my gut tells me I will be 90 years old and there will be a new thread on the "Restoration Update of Desert Rat."

Is there any way we could get this more press where the "big donors" could get involved and really lend a helping hand like with Doc?

Twenty years from now, if there is a new thread on the Desert Rat restoration, I can guarantee that there will be more progress on the airframe than there is today. Restoration projects don’t necessarily need to be completed by “X” date. They are working on it and continually making progress. I don’t know what else you could ask for.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:44 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

This is a monumental task. I remember when the project was recovered, in fact Earl Reinert told me about it! I'm sure as it looks more and more like an airplane, donations will start to come in greater numbers. This is a project that almost nobody would have taken on when it was contemplated. At that time B-17s were still a mainstay of the fire bomber force. It is truly amazing what has been done for very little money!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:11 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I suspect that they will have more fundraising success as it looks more and more like a real airplane. That photo showing the fuselage from the nose backward, looking quite externally complete, is inspiring. I would think that progress like that will make larger donors feel more comfortable because there is a potential end in sight. I wonder if there is any thought given to taking it to Oshkosh next year on a trailer to show off, or to encourage donors to participate? That would be a heck of an effort, but seeing the airplane can cause lots of folks to donate when otherwise they might not based on an internet post.
Way to go guys! Keep up the great work!
kevin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 pm 

Another restoration update on the Desert Rat B-17E. Update on the wings. Right inner wing has almost all of the damaged items removed. It does need some cleaning and detailing prior to painting and making needed repairs. Left inboard the landing gear and superchargers have been removed. Both outboards have had all damage removed are are awaiting replacement corrugation to be manufactured

Attachments:
Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg [ 516.51 KiB | Viewed 1936 times ]
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg [ 534.63 KiB | Viewed 1936 times ]
Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg [ 625.15 KiB | Viewed 1936 times ]
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg [ 585.84 KiB | Viewed 1936 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:27 pm 

Another restoration update on the Desert Rat B-17E. The restoration team has the floor installed in the radio room and it looks awesome!!! We are excited about the progress that the team has made. If you would like to help sponsor this restoration or would like to get involved please let us know. Every dollar counts, so please consider a contribution.

http://www.vintageaviationmuseum.com

Attachments:
Desert Rat radio room.jpg
Desert Rat radio room.jpg [ 107.63 KiB | Viewed 1299 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What is the story on the scale model U-boat (?) in one of the photos?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

warbirdcrazy wrote:
Another restoration update on the Desert Rat B-17E. The restoration team has the floor installed in the radio room and it looks awesome!!! We are excited about the progress that the team has made. If you would like to help sponsor this restoration or would like to get involved please let us know. Every dollar counts, so please consider a contribution.

You should offer a little a little bit of cheese.
You should say buy this $10 T-shirt for $50, or buy this piece of skin that we're going to throw away for $50.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:24 pm 

phil65 wrote:
warbirdcrazy wrote:

You should say buy this $10 T-shirt for $50, or buy this piece of skin that we're going to throw away for $50.

Phil

They did just that at Thunder 2010. I have a piece of skin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:02 pm 

WIXerGreg wrote:
phil65 wrote:
warbirdcrazy wrote:

Phil

They did just that at Thunder 2010. I have a piece of skin.

We do have items available for sale on our website and those do help support the restoration. For larger sponsors we do have a separate sponsor package.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:24 pm 

another restoration update on the Desert Rat B-17E. The restoration team is getting the landing gear packed up so it can be sent out to be overhauled. When her restoration is completed she will be the oldest airworthy B-17!

Attachments:
desert rat landing gear.jpg
desert rat landing gear.jpg [ 50.96 KiB | Viewed 569 times ]