Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Finally figured out what the sharks fin is for

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 pm

I just couldn't figure it out. I am sure plenty here do know but what the heck was that sharks fin on those old WWII aircraft pitot tubes for. And when I did ask several people involved with warbirds, they didn't know. Only thought about it occasionally but wondered for years. Google searches didn't help. But I finally took an IFR groundschool to renew my rating which had lapsed(long story as I had one in another country) and they had a slide with a cutaway of one of those old pitot tubes with interior parts labelled. Then I had the information to google pitot tube riser and got the explanation.

I know, I am rambling on but for those that ever wondered why there is a sharks fin on some of those old pitot tubes....

google it or look at this link....

https://books.google.ca/books?id=bMwIAQ ... er&f=false
Last edited by 54H60 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Finally figured out what the sharks fin is for

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:34 pm

Very interesting!! Don't you just love old books?!

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Thank you! I had wondered about that but never found an answer.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 pm

That's a very good resource!

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am

Good find! Many aircraft have static ports on the fuselage as well.

I wonder if the shark-fin was only used on the heated ones for IFR capable aircraft that were likely to encounter icing?

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:38 am

One of the ways in which the A-36 Mustang differed from all other Mustang production was that it had the shark-fin pitot tube on the end of a mast sticking out forward of the wing. Otherwise, all other Mustang production that came before and after it had the under-wing mounted type without the fin.

You can find both styles/types of pitot tubes (fin/no fin) on P-40's, mounted to the same type mast sticking out from the wing.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:21 pm

That's very cool. I always assumed that it was just the occasional "Art Deco" engineering style of the time.

I learned something today. Thank you.

:drink3:

Dan

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:54 pm

Hueys with the roof mounted pitot tube had the shark fin type.
Post a reply