Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

PBJ-1 Carrier Landing

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:22 pm

PBJ-1H Bu #35277 on the flight deck of USS Shangri-La *CV 38). Pilot Lt. Comdr. H.S. Bottomley.

http://joebaugher.com/navy_serials/thirdseries4.html
35277 (USAF 43-4700) modified for carrier landing and catapult launching trials at sea aboard USS Shangri-La (CV-38), the first of which took place Nov 15, 1944.

Taxiing up to catapult.

Being prepared for catapulting.

Landing

Being inspected after landing.

Re: PBJ-1 Carrier Landing

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:08 pm

The P-51D carrier trials, headed by Bob Elder, and the F7F Tigercat carrier trials, headed by Charlie Lane, were also taking place at the very same time, from the very same carrier. This was performed in the Chesapeake Bay, near the Virginia Capes. It was also a shakedown cruise for the USS Shangri-La and her crew at the time. From what I've read, the "Ship Experimental Unit" (SEU), which was tasked with the airframe modifications and testing for carrier trials, really favored their SBD Dauntless tailhook design, and that is the same design hook that was fitted to the B-25 used for these trials.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:39 pm

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:26 am

Very new to me. thanks for posting.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:56 am

wish they had a utube of this

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:02 am

Sea-stang! I'll have mine navy blue.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:23 am

JohnTerrell wrote:The P-51D carrier trials, headed by Bob Elder, and the F7F Tigercat carrier trials, headed by Charlie Lane, were also taking place at the very same time, from the very same carrier. This was performed in the Chesapeake Bay, near the Virginia Capes. It was also a shakedown cruise for the USS Shangri-La and her crew at the time. From what I've read, the "Ship Experimental Unit" (SEU), which was tasked with the airframe modifications and testing for carrier trials, really favored their SBD Dauntless tailhook design, and that is the same design hook that was fitted to the B-25 used for these trials.

So you're saying someone could come along and create a diorama with a PBJ-1, P-51D, and F7F on a carrier deck together?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:27 pm

I believe only one aircraft would have been on the deck at any given time during the carrier trials on that day, Nov. 15, 1944. According to Commander Syd Bottomley, who piloted the PBJ, Charlie Lane in the Tigercat was the first to perform the carrier trials that day, followed by Bob Elder in the Mustang. Both of those aircraft were then below deck when Bottomley came aboard in the PBJ, beginning its trials (which also included handling tests below deck).

The early F7F used for the trials was BuNo.80291.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 pm

One of the original factory drawings that AirCorps has shown thus-far from the "Ken Jungeberg" collection is that of the pendant-style catapult hook that was bolted on at the base of the firewall and center wing rib on 44-14017 (in front and between the clam shell doors). It would be fantastic if the drawings also included any covering the tail hook installation and catapult lasso that was also installed on 44-14017.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Warbird Kid wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:The P-51D carrier trials, headed by Bob Elder, and the F7F Tigercat carrier trials, headed by Charlie Lane, were also taking place at the very same time, from the very same carrier. This was performed in the Chesapeake Bay, near the Virginia Capes. It was also a shakedown cruise for the USS Shangri-La and her crew at the time. From what I've read, the "Ship Experimental Unit" (SEU), which was tasked with the airframe modifications and testing for carrier trials, really favored their SBD Dauntless tailhook design, and that is the same design hook that was fitted to the B-25 used for these trials.

So you're saying someone could come along and create a diorama with a PBJ-1, P-51D, and F7F on a carrier deck together?

Go for it Chris.... :drink3:

Phil

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:58 pm

phil65 wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:

Go for it Chris.... :drink3:

Phil

Maybe one day! I've got enough projects to keep be busy if I retired tomorrow! And if I were to build this as a diorama, it'd have to be a somewhat cutaway of the P-51 and F7F in the hangar bay underneath due to John's notes. Still would be really cool!

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Artistic license ... :wink:

And those P-40's can wait... :P

Phil

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:09 pm

I would have liked to see a glossy blue P-51...with folding wings....

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:44 am

menards wrote:I would have liked to see a glossy blue P-51...with folding wings....

I can get you half way there: introducing the FJ-1A Seahorse (yeah, I know. Roll with me on the designation-it WOULD HAVE been the FJ-1)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:40 am

Courier Sportster wrote:Sea-stang! I'll have mine navy blue.

pop2

ZNavyMustang.jpg
Post a reply