Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm 

Wixers:

I'm beginning the planning stages of taking StangStung Jr. on a road trip down the Hudson River Valley, starting in Montreal and stopping...not sure yet, but likely Philadelphia. I say Philly as I suspect that's as far as we'll get before we run out of time. Of course, along that route we'll run out of time far before we run out of things to see! But I'm trying to avoid NYC/Philly proper as this is more of an "off the beaten path" type of trip.

The mid-point time wise will be the weekend shows at Old Rhinebeck, probably towards the beginning of August. Any suggestions as to places to stay? Helpful tips on getting the most out of any visit to OR?

I'm thinking we will probably visit Mid-Atlantic Air Museum as well. So same questions there.

Any of our Wixers have suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:06 pm 

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn in Poughkeepsie before, it was nice enough from what I recall. I'd recommend you check out the FDR Presidential Library & Museum if you have time and the Golden Age Air Museum in Bethel, PA if you like antique aircraft as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:24 am 

if you can, consider catching the WWII Weekend at MAAM a fantastic warbird show and really so much more

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If you are into trash haulers at all, I might suggest the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover Delaware. 1.5 hours past Philadelphia, but great place for transports and can get inside a few. The C-141, C-5 and C-130 are always open and the very impressive C-133 if you ask a docent.

The American Helicopter Museum in West Chester (outside Philadelphia) is a small but neat place if you are into helicopters. Only if you are into helos. Definitely off the beaten path.

And if Stanstung Jr is into ships at all the USS Intrepid (Yes New York City) is very neat. Highly recommended if you have never been aboard an Aircraft Carrier (although the Midway in San Diego is better), and the USS New Jersey Battleship is in Camden New Hersey (across the river from Philadelphia).

have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:30 am 

These are great recommendations gentlemen. Exactly what I was looking for.

FDR Library is definitely on the list. Didn't know about Golden Age, so that's a score.

I tried working in the WWII weekend, but that may have to be another year. Too many summertime commitments and not enough time! Our window of opportunity does not allow for that particular weekend, alas.

Dover is great recommend. I had totally forgotten about that one and the American Helicopter Museum is a must. Helicopters were StangStung Jr.'s first aviation love.

We've done the Intrepid and Midway in the past and enjoyed both immensely. I have to give the Midway the slight edge, as their program for kids is just head and shoulders above any museum ship I've seen before. Plus we got to meet two WWII pilot vets while we were there! Jr. was thrilled. Haven't made it to the New Jersey yet, but we were on Missouri this past summer, so I think we're set for Iowa class for the time being. That said, I recommend to you all a visit to USS Olympia across the river from New Jersey if you get the chance. What a step back in time that was.

Thanks again for the ideas!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:10 pm 

StangStung wrote:
...I had totally forgotten about that one and the American Helicopter Museum is a must. Helicopters were StangStung Jr.'s first aviation love.

And their historian is David Vanderhoof from the Airplane Geeks podcast!
https://twitter.com/DMVanderhoof

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well if you don't mind about deviating off the beaten path a little bit I would always suggest visiting the Connecticut Air & Space Center, birthplace of the Corsair! Saturdays are the best for tours.
https://www.ctairandspace.org/

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:03 pm 

https://www.esam.org/
and for early history:
https://www.fortticonderoga.org/
Both would be on your way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

airknocker wrote:
https://www.esam.org/
and for early history:
https://www.fortticonderoga.org/
Both would be on your way.

Second ESAM. Cool place, though almost all of the aircraft are outside. Some particularly interesting aircraft like the Scimitar, Vigilante and Skynight. There are some neat indoor displays too, including a large-scale carrier model used in Tora, Tora, Tora.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Starting from Montreal?

Drive 2 hours west to Ottawa and see:
- Canada National Aviation Museum
- Vintage Wings of Canada

More than well worth the small detour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:34 pm 

There is an inn in Rhinebeck, the Beekman Arms, that is the oldest continuously operated inn in the U. S. I've never stayed there, since we live nearby, but I understand that it's a good one to consider.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:43 pm 

If StangStung means you're a Mustang driver, several of the great driving roads in the country are along your route, on the WEST side of the Hudson: Route 218 from Cornwall to West Point (the USMA), which is the Old Storm King Highway. Route 9W also between Cornwall and West Point. The Palisades Parkway from Bear Mountain to the George Washington Bridge. And a variety of wonderful, meandering roads within Bear Mountain State Park, such as Seven Lakes Drive. 218 and 9W are favorite motorcycling roads during the summer. As a volunteer ambulance driver, we used to start picking up the bodies in May and it was nonstop through October, every nice weekend.

I used to be the Editor of Car and Driver, and I've tested a variety of exotic cars on all those roads.

PM me if you need any other advice on that specific area. We live about five miles north of West Point, in Cornwall-on-Hudson. I also know ORA well, for all its faults.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:15 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

I left the Hudson valley 12 years ago so some things I am sure have changed...

ESAM is good, if you drive over to the other side of the airfield there is a LC-130 on display (I think it is an A model with 3 blade props)

Fort Ticonderoga is great!

Saratoga Battle Field is worth a stop.

West Point does tours as well and well worth it.

The NYS museum had, may still a 9-11 section that i heard was powerful.

Old Rhinebeck was also fun, some times it is better than others.

The USS Intrepid may still be worth a stop as well...

When in Philli the Cruiser Olympia is a MUST see, in walking distance from everything else you would want to see there.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Stephan Wilkinson wrote:
I used to be the Editor of Car and Driver, and I've tested a variety of exotic cars on all those roads.

PM me if you need any other advice on that specific area.

Hi Stephan - sending a PM re C/D.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:24 am 

You guys are the best. :drink3:

Lots of great ideas here. I'm usually a big fan of the multi-quote, but I'm going to respond here individually.

Slight change of plans. Flights into Montreal were way too pricey. So we are flying into Boston and immediately going to ORA. Yes, I know there's a ton of stuff to do in the Boston area, but this trip is not that trip. It's more convenient anyhow as doing the airshows at Old Rhinebeck the first weekend of our trip allows us a little more flexibility.

As an aside, check out these guides. They've been helpful to me on the Revolutionary War stuff in the area.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931373124/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931373116/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1