Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: 2020 Restorations.

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:44 pm

stryper wrote:
bdk wrote:Isn't there a Helldiver going together in Colorado Springs?[/quote

As well as one at Fagen Fighters.

and one at Yanks in Chino

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:41 pm

Clifford Bossie wrote:Any updates on the CAF P-47N (45-53436 N47TB)? I do not look for it in 2020, but there is always hope.
That one is in Camarillo, but not sure if there has been progress made since I was there a couple of years back.

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 pm

The Dakota Territory Air Museum's Hawker Hurricane (former LSFM example), that has been under restoration at Ray Middleton's shop in Colorado (mentioned earlier in this thread), is scheduled to appear at the Wings of the North's AirExpo airshow in July. (For the first time the Collings Foundation will also be appearing at the show, as one of their tour stops, with the B-24, B-25, TP-40 and TF-51, providing rides.)

There were some recent photos posted to the "Friends of Planes of Fame" Facebook page of the Fagen family's F6F-5 Hellcat (former Yanks Air Museum example) that has been undergoing an in-depth, everything stripped-out, restoration at Fighter Rebuilders. Photos show it at this time as a bare metal fuselage and center section sitting on its gear once again, with fresh yellow zinc chromate primer firewall and tail cone, and showing clear signs that it will be finished in an overall glossy sea blue paint scheme (as that is how the landing gear and inner wingfold section has been painted). Anyone have news that can be shared on Rod Lewis' Hellcat restoration at Ezell's (if it's still there)?

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but individuals in high standing at the FHCAM have stated a number of times this past year that they plan on having the Ju-87 Stuka finished/flying in 2020 (at least by late quarter).

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:33 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:The Dakota Territory Air Museum's Hawker Hurricane (former LSFM example), that has been under restoration at Ray Middleton's shop in Colorado (mentioned earlier in this thread), is scheduled to appear at the Wings of the North's AirExpo airshow in July. (For the first time the Collings Foundation will also be appearing at the show, as one of their tour stops, with the B-24, B-25, TP-40 and TF-51, providing rides.)

There were some recent photos posted to the "Friends of Planes of Fame" Facebook page of the Fagen family's F6F-5 Hellcat (former Yanks Air Museum example) that has been undergoing an in-depth, everything stripped-out, restoration at Fighter Rebuilders. Photos show it at this time as a bare metal fuselage and center section sitting on its gear once again, with fresh yellow zinc chromate primer firewall and tail cone, and showing clear signs that it will be finished in an overall glossy sea blue paint scheme (as that is how the landing gear and inner wingfold section has been painted). Anyone have news that can be shared on Rod Lewis' Hellcat restoration at Ezell's (if it's still there)?

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but individuals in high standing at the FHCAM have stated a number of times this past year that they plan on having the Ju-87 Stuka finished/flying in 2020 (at least by late quarter).

Hey John,

Speaking of Ezell's: weren't they on the verge of finishing up the Bearcat for DTAM, but the engine started making metal?

Yes, I thought I heard the Stuka was going to fly this year as well. But I'm really waiting on news (and video :D ) of the first flight of their Schwalbe.

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:12 am

stryper wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:Also, I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but individuals in high standing at the FHCAM have stated a number of times this past year that they plan on having the Ju-87 Stuka finished/flying in 2020 (at least by late quarter).

Yes, I thought I heard the Stuka was going to fly this year as well. But I'm really waiting on news (and video :D ) of the first flight of their Schwalbe.

The 262 should be any day now, based on the monthly update videos FHCAM releases. And I'd love to see the Stuka up this year, even seeing it complete and painted would be good as last year I bought a 1/48 Airfix model kit to represent her...so far only small parts have been painted as I await cockpit and exterior photos!

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:52 am

Not a restoration, but for those that haven’t seen, Lyon Air Museum is getting their B-25 back in the air after a 6-year hiatus. A beautiful example we’ve missed in SoCal for sure! 8)

I think the B-17 will come next, maybe as soon as next year! Awesome to see Lyon getting their birds going again!

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:06 am

Spitfire XIV RN201 has had it's first engine runs since being put back together at Sywell by Air Leasing. :D

https://www.facebook.com/Ultimate-Warbi ... 121510239/

Cheers

Paul

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:55 am

GRNDP51 wrote:Not a restoration, but for those that haven’t seen, Lyon Air Museum is getting their B-25 back in the air after a 6-year hiatus. A beautiful example we’ve missed in SoCal for sure! 8)

I think the B-17 will come next, maybe as soon as next year! Awesome to see Lyon getting their birds going again!

Thanks for the update. I guess I didn't realize The B-17 has not been flying of late.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:57 am

Anyone have a status of FHC's B-17E? It sure would be nice to see that completed and flying one day.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 pm

From Kermit's Facebook page, his Boeing 100

-

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 pm

WOW! :shock:

Just gorgeous.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Yeah, you said it Andy -- WOW! :shock: Thanks for that Baldeagle!! 8)

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:07 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:Anyone have news that can be shared on Rod Lewis' Hellcat restoration at Ezell's (if it's still there)?

Saw this on Instagram yesterday. Bradley Wentzel is the Creative Director at Lewis Air Legends. The Lewis Air Legends page also posted pic of Rare Bear

Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:05 pm

ErrolC wrote:RAAF Museum Vampire T.35 A79-617 ("late 2020")
Pioneer Aero P-40E 41-13570 ??

Rob Mackley Lockheed L-10A Electra ZK-AFD
NZ Warbirds Carl R. Swanson Siemens-Schuckert D.IV Model SSW D-IV replica, ex-N1094G, ZK-SSW (has a 160hp Gnome)

Sunday should be the first public NZ display of the SSW D.IV (and perhaps the St Andre Albatros if CAA approval happens) plus T-28B (R2000) ZK-TGN. Also return after test flight a year ago (engine issues) for Po-2 ZK-POL.

Both 41-13570 and and Spitfire TB252 will be on static with panels off :-)

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... 3775005366
https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... 3775005366

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:27 pm

Thomas_Mac wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:Anyone have news that can be shared on Rod Lewis' Hellcat restoration at Ezell's (if it's still there)?

Saw this on Instagram yesterday. Bradley Wentzel is the Creative Director at Lewis Air Legends. The Lewis Air Legends page also posted pic of Rare Bear

I saw it week before last and its looking really good.
Post a reply