Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:52 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It depends on the job. The Mustang is terrific for going places -- it's quite a simple airplane that goes like snot. The Spitfire is wonderful for maneuvering -- it does not want to snap-roll during a tight low-speed turn. The Hurricane is great for making you appreciate all the other fighters. And the Lysander is great for getting into a 2000 ft strip.

Here is how I fly it.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... -Kite.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 pm 

Thank you Dave, great article. I can appreciate where you are coming from. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:58 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dave, sorry if it's a dumb question, but does the Lysander perform anything like the Stinson Reliant? The wing shape and layout looks very similar to me.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:09 pm 

Dave - have you guys made any progress in making the Lysander's engine more "maintainable"? I seem to recall in the past there was trouble even finding the right manuals for it., much less suitable spares.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

DB2 wrote:
Dave - have you guys made any progress in making the Lysander's engine more "maintainable"? I seem to recall in the past there was trouble even finding the right manuals for it., much less suitable spares.

Not really. What I was looking for were engineering drawings for the cylinders, in order to replace the cylinder barrels from scratch. All I found were maintenance manuals -- got lots of those. So, when we need more cylinders, we'll have to find another source, or reverse-engineer.

And there a market for Warner cylinders right now, too, in case anyone wants to have a shot. (Many cylinders are already bored-out .020-over. And chroming isn't as good a fix as a new one.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Chris Brame wrote:
Dave, sorry if it's a dumb question, but does the Lysander perform anything like the Stinson Reliant? The wing shape and layout looks very similar to me.

It's not the wing, it's the slats and flaps. As per my article referenced in the above reply, you can't control them other than with angle-of-attack.

And of course the elevator is not big enough to control the aeroplane, and the brakes are unreliable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:41 pm 

Thanks again, everyone esp. Dave, Great Stuff ! BTW, I should have thrown in the Fairey Swordfish, C-GEVS, as well as the Avro Avian, N7083, Man ! Am I A Nosey One ! geek pop2 :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:14 am 

Dave H,

Just in case you weren't aware, the Shuttleworth Collection over here in the UK are currently undertaking a "Keep Them Flying" campaign for the collection's Mercury-powered Gladiator and Lysander. One of the avenues they are exploring is reverse engineering Mercury cylinder barrels. Getting in touch with them would surely be worth a shot, if you're not in touch already that is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:14 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Shuttleworth -- what a great way to fly a Lysander! Controlled, museum conditions, a wide strip -- of GRASS! -- and lots of volunteers.

When I barnstormed with this one in 2015 and 2016 it was just me and a pickup truck, and shows all across Southern Ontario.

However, in my direct experience with having engine work done in England, EVERYTHING starts at £100,000, and then goes up. Sometimes way up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:35 am 

Perhaps us Brits could be described as being "reassuringly expensive"? :lol:

Was thinking if more than one group were involved it may bring costs down all-round, so may end up being more affordable? I'm not involved with the project in any way, although I am a member of SVAS (Shuttleworth supporters club). Wonder if CWH might be interested too? They have the Bolingbroke and Lysander to think about. On the face of it it sounds like some backs could be well and truly mutually scratched.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:34 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dave,
Thanks for posting that link to the article. I said a prayer of thanks for owning the L-5 after I read it.

Best Regards- Forgotten Field

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 am 

DH82EH wrote:
I walked past the CWH Lysander this past Saturday.
It is disassembled and CWH engineering currently have their hands full with other projects.
The Lysander didn't look like it was being worked on.
I did hear that they have secured a replacement undercarriage arch.
The original was broken during the forced landing.

Great to hear that the VWoC example will remain in Canada for the time being.

Andy

The aircraft is "shelved" for now but we did obtain a replacement undercarriage .
No definite target date to commence repairs at this time