Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:13 am 

So I'm assuming that'll be KA114 and PZ474. Impressive!

That's one helluva planned lineup but sceptical about a few of the items listed. Some are yet to fly (two of the Hurricanes, C-69) and I wonder if there really will be five B-17's considering what's going on at the moment with them. Also, is Stuart Walton's Spitfire SM969?

I was also disappointed to read only 20 of the planned aircraft due to be involved are going to be on public display on the Saturday. Seems a little disappointing considering the magnitude of the event and the amount of aeroplanes involved in the flypast. It would be nice to have a good look at, say, the A-20 again or the two Mosquitos but I doubt they will be on public display somehow. Hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:37 pm 

They now have a complete list of aircraft that are planning to participate.
This is an incredible variety of aircraft.

https://ww2flyover.org/participating-aircraft/

In the early stages of planning they were saying that the 2 airports that the aircraft would be staging from would be open to the public on that Wednesday. Well it looks like that is not the case anymore and the public cannot access those airports. This is extremely disappointing as I would very much like to take photos and see all of these aircraft. 20 aircraft on display Saturday is a fraction of the participating airplanes.

If I decide to make the trip does anybody have any suggestions on where we could photograph the flyover away from the thousands of people that will be down at the memorial area. Maybe a little to north and west. I am not familiar with the area.

This will in fact be a once in a lifetime flyover event.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:58 pm 

Sad to see no BT-13/15's on the list. I speculate that more pilots flew this model aircraft than any other during WWII.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yes, sorry, we can't do it.

Not enough weeks in the Spring.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:33 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It's disappointing, but not at all surprising, that there is no public access to the staging fields. The logistics of this event are already staggering without the extra burden of making the airports safe for the public (and keeping the planes safe FROM the public).

I may drop by Thursday and see what can be seen over/through the perimeter fences. Hopefully airport and local fuzz won't be unnecessarily aggressive.

For any WIXers participating in the event or otherwise privy to inside info, it would be sincerely appreciated if you could share details as you learn them, such as when the Thursday practice flight is scheduled. Even by private mail to those who have expressed interest in this thread, if you don't want it to be public.

Isrr70, as far as the flyby itself, the best locations may not be too crowded. Most people will be along Constitution Ave and in the Mall, I imagine. From that vantage point, the planes will be directly overhead or south, and against the sun. Based on the flyby route, a better location might be south of the Capitol around 1st and D SE, maybe in Spirit of Justice Park or thereabouts. That's where the formations will be making their turn south, so they'll be in view longer, banked toward you, and the sun will be at your back. That's not a popular neighborhood for tourists.

The northern part of the tidal basin would be a good option for front-lit views also, but likely more crowded.

August

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:14 pm 

In 2015, I went to the Culpepper Airport for the practice and to the National Mall for the flyover. In my opinion, the practice at Culpepper was much better. I was able to see many of the formation and seethe fighter aircraft on their glide path to land. This made for some fantastic pictures. I will be definitely in Culpepper for practice this year!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:32 am 

Thank you August for this information.
I would also be very much interested in the schedule for the Thursday practice flights.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:41 pm 

ErrolC wrote:
So, two Mosquitos flying together last happened when? Early 1960's?

1986/87 I think, just before Kermits aircraft left England.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:20 pm 

Jonp where did you park to view the planes at Culpepper? Was it hard to find a place to pull off and watch them coming in? I see on google maps there is a few businesses and pull offs not too far away. I'd like to arrive early Thursday and spend all day just spotting the airport and planes coming and going.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:03 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The flyover has been postponed to September 25.

August

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:24 pm 

Knocks out part 1 of my May vacation, Udvar Hazy probably closed also. Part 2 is Warbirds Over The Beach at Virginia Beach , it might get cancelled or postponed , will keep hotel reservations till latest news.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

k5083 wrote:

August

I'm glad to hear it wasn't cancelled outright. Let's hope it will go off with a hitch now.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:12 pm 

Warbird Kid wrote:
k5083 wrote:

August

I'm glad to hear it wasn't cancelled outright. Let's hope it will go off with a hitch now.

Things won't be back to anything like normal until an effective vaccine is widely available.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

ErrolC wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:
k5083 wrote:

August

Things won't be back to anything like normal until an effective vaccine is widely available.

Or people take their eating habits, personal hygiene, and such seriously.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RyanShort1 wrote:
Or people take their eating habits, personal hygiene, and such seriously.

1.85 Billion people would love to take you up on your advice. Unfortunately they live in extreme poverty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next