Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:31 pm 

Bump, doing this then on the next weekend going to Virginia Beach for Warbirds Over The Beach, don’t think Yagens P. 39 has flown yet at Virginia Beach, should this air show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:20 pm 

So judging from the website, the following is planned:

-Trainer formations
-L-Bird formations
-Two Spitfires (Battle of Britain)- BR601 and Yagens?
-P-40's (Pearl Harbor)
-B-25's (Doolittle Raid)
-PBY Catalina's, SBD Dauntless's (Midway)- can't think what the other examples could be other than the Fighter Factory and CAF Dixie Wing's respectively?
-P-39, Wildcats (Guadalcanal)- P-39 Yagen's?
-Mosquito
-P-38 Lightning's- maybe Collings and Fagen?
-Clandestine Ops. Picture of the Canadian Lysander. Possible?
-CWHM Lancaster (Dambusters).
-B-24.
-P-51's
-B-17's.
-C-47's.
-TBM Avengers.
-SB2C Helldiver.
-P-47's, A-26 (Battle of the Bulge).
-Corsairs.
-Transports- C-46, C-47, C-54, C-69 (!)
-Both B-29's.

Does anyone have any experience from the last Arsenal of Democracy flyover? Is it worth doing?

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:03 pm 

I was at the last one with Mrs. Stang and Stang Jr. We really enjoyed it.

Of course, as an "air show" probably everyone here has seen something more grand. But there is something to standing on the Nation's lawn and watching those planes fly by.

In addition to the flyover, we went out to U-H where they were staging some aircraft. The USAF band was playing in period uniforms for Honor Flight participants. Stang Jr. got to sit in a jeep in his flight suit and thought he was the king of the world. The highlight was shaking hands with an Iwo Jima vet. Not sure if he'll have that opportunity this time, but we're going to bet there in case he does.

Plus, if you can't find something interesting to do in DC, well, you're not really trying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:06 pm 

Yagen is listed to bring his Spitfire, P40 , FM2 Wildcat, Mosquito and FG1 Corsair.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:55 pm 

The other Spitfire is more than likely Dakota Territory

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:39 am 

Was there for the last one. Super cool event. :drink3:

USN Ret
Recip FE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Was just checking in on the Arsenal flyover site, since today I finally established that I will be able to go see it. The site currently offers some details not noted here previously.

The two Spitfires listed are Fighter Factory and "Stars of History". The latter is what Lauder is calling his collection these days, so that would be Mk.I P9374 if true. A third Spit, Dakota Territory, may be part of the final missing man formation.

A Swordfish is also indicated. Not sure what to make of that; HS554 must be in the UK by now, leaving no candidates. A Lysander is also suggested; this also seems dubious.

Five P-40s, owners listed as CAF, Dakota Territory, Fighter Factory, AAM/Clyman, Warbird Adventures.

CAF P-39, CAF and Fighter Factory Wildcats. Possible also Dakota Territory FM-2 as part of missing man.

Erickson and Tennessee P-47s. Savage and Doggett A-26s.

Corsairs: Fighter Factory, CAF, Tobul, Kimmel, possibly Dakota Territory as part of missing man.

Yagen Mosquito.

C-46, C-47, C-54, and -- C-69 Columbine II ?? I did not realize the Connie was close to flying.

It seems that the CAF will be bringing all 4 heavies, 4 B-25s, 3 P-51s, SBD, SB2C, TBM in addition to the above.

Links to the specific aircraft for several of the formations are still broken so we don't know what B-25s, P-38s, P-51s, B-17s, or C-47s will be there.

All in all, it seems like trips to the Culpeper and Manassas staging fields will be warranted, besides watching the flyby. There is to be a practice flight on May 7 that will stop short of DC and just go to the holding point.

August

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:41 am 

As far I know, there is only one Lysander flying in North America : the Lysander Fund's Lysander, mostly piloted by Dave Hadfield member of this forum...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

pjpahs wrote:
Yagen is listed to bring his Spitfire, P40 , FM2 Wildcat, Mosquito and FG1 Corsair.

Wish his PBY, P-39, P-51, TBM, Hurricane, and B-25 were included too. Needs more pilots!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:18 pm 

Though not mentioned yet on the A of D website, the plan is for many of the aircraft to recover from the fly over on Friday at IAD and taxi to the Udvar-Hazy Center.
There will be an all day static display on Saturday and departures on Sunday.
re enactors, vehicles the whole smack.

Last edited by Marauderman26 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm nowhere near the area anymore so I won't see it, but it'd be great if they could have gotten Doc as will as Fifi for the B-29 pass. Imagine two Superforts over the Mall area!

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:45 pm 

p51 wrote:
I'm nowhere near the area anymore so I won't see it, but it'd be great if they could have gotten Doc as will as Fifi for the B-29 pass. Imagine two Superforts over the Mall area!

Doc is going to be there. https://www.b29doc.com/events/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Facebook page stated that they are planning on five B-17s. Though I won't be able to attend, I am looking forward to seeing photo and video coverage of the event. Not only is it a fantastic way to honor the anniversary, but I think having those formations over DC can be great PR for the warbird movement as a whole. Here's hoping for a safe and impressive flyover.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:28 am 

There has been an update to the website https://ww2flyover.org/flyover-formations/

-Civil Air Patrol - 4 L-4s (Chuck Tippett, Art Nalls, Kirk Wicker, Steve Taylor), 2 L-5s (CAF), L-16 (John Corradi)
-Trainer formations - Stearmans, Tiger Moths, L-Birds, T-6s, Cessna/Beech twin trainers (no specifics named)
-Battle of Britain - 4 Spitfires (Yagen, Stars of History, Stuart Walton, Comanche Fighters) and 3 Hurricanes (Yagen, Vintage Wings of Canada, Dakota Territory Air Museum)
-Pearl Harbor - 5 P-40s (Yagen, Dakota Territory Air Museum, CAF, American Airpower Museum, Warbird Adventures)
-Doolittle Raid - 8 B-25s (no specifics named)
-Midway - 2 PBYs, SBD (no specifics named)
-Guadalcanal - 2 FM-2 Wildcats (CAF, Yagen) P-39 (CAF)
-Attacking Berlin - 2 Mosquitoes (no specifics named)
-Yamamoto Intercept - 2 P-38s (no specifics named)
-Battle of the Atlantic - PBY, TBM, Firefly (no specifics named)
-Clandestine Ops. - Lysander (no specifics named, Vintage Wings of Canada has the only airworthy Lysander in North America right now)
-Dambusters - Lancaster (no specifics named, CWHM Lancaster is the only airworthy one in North America)
-Ploesti Raid - B-24 (no specifics named, most likely Diamond Lil)
-Long Range Fighters - P-51s (no specifics named)
-Big Week - B-17's (no specifics named, as mentioned up thread 5 were mentioned on the facebook page)
-D-Day - C-47s (no specifics named)
-Air Battle Over Chichi Jima - 4 TBM Avengers (no specifics named)
-Battle of Leyte Gulf - SB2C Helldiver, TBM, Hellcat, A-20 (no specifics named, there is only one airworthy Helldiver (CAF), and A-20 (Lewis))
-Battle of the Bulge - 2 P-47s (Tennessee Museum of Aviation, Erickson) 2 A-26s (Tim Savage, Jed Doggett)
-Iwo Jima - 4 Corsairs (CAF, Yagen, Tobul, Frank Kimmel)
-The Hump - C-46 (City of Monroe), 2 C-47s (Yankee Air Force, Dynamic Aviaiton), C-54 (Berlin Airlift), L-26 Aerocommander (CAF). “Columbine II” is mentioned in the write-up but not specifically as participating, likely depends on if the plane will be airworthy in time.
-Bearcats - 2 Bearcats (no specifics named)
-Final Air Offensive - 2 B-29s Doc and Fifi
-Missing Man Formation - Corsair (Stars of History), P-51 Lopes Hope (Dakota Territory Air Museum), FM-2 Wildcat (Dakota Territory Air Museum), Spitfire (Dakota Territory Air Museum)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:33 am 

So, two Mosquitos flying together last happened when? Early 1960's?