Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:27 pm 

p51 wrote:
Matt Gunsch wrote:
5 killed per the latest
Where'd you see this?
Of course I hope it's not accurate!

Multiple news sources are saying at least 5 killed now. I just cant wrap my head around the whole thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:45 pm 

Oh, people, people, people, can we call a “knock-it-off” to the mindless speculation about the cause(s)?!
In 20,000 hours and 38 years of professional flying I’ve never, NEVER, read an NTSB accident report that sounded anything like the initial reports.

Please, for the sake of those lost and for their families and friends, STOP IT!

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

God, what devastating news. I've flown aboard 9-0-9 many times and crewed with the Collings guys many times while they were on their Dallas tour stop. This is awful. My heart goes out to everyone affected.

No speculation or "armchair quarterbacking" here, just crushing sadness. It's hard not to sit here and cry (I'm at work, so I can't).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:57 pm 

My opinion is that we need to stop posting all the gossip and speculation. So far on this thread I have read no fatalities, 2 fatalaties, 5 fatalaties, number 3 engine was the problem, number 4 engine was the problem, both were the problem, 909 hit something, did not hit something. I have seen a post where someone got a newsflash on their phone that 909 was down..this several posts into the thread where it had already been reported, and photos shown. Please, let us stop all this and wait for the facts to be presented. By all means continue to tell stories of your experiences, I too have flown it 909, and offereing condolences. Just stop all the speculation. It does no good for anyone. That is my rant for the day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is just terrible. My thoughts, prayers and condolences are with them all and the Warbird Community.

Please, out of respect, keep the speculation out of this for now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:04 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sounds like the P-51 was in the air at the time; doesn't seem like he knew it was Nine-O-Nine when the ATC says there was an incident. Prayers for all involved and successful recoveries for the survivors.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:24 pm 

Like many have also stated, this is absolutely shocking. Actually, the word shocking doesn't even come close to describing this. With everything that airframe has been through and always bounced back better than before, I really thought this Fort would be the last one still flying. She was my first warbird ride, I got to volunteer a couple of times to help them when they were in town, I really feel like 909 and her crew were like friends that I would see once or twice a year. It seems everyone who is in to warbirds has had a run in with the Collings Foundation. The number of cities they visited ensured that anyone who wanted to see these aircraft had a chance. I will be forever grateful for that. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims in this awful time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I wasn't going to log in and post anything about this tragedy....however, I feel a point of observation is due. We all know it's very common for the details of any high profile event to change as new media updates come in. I, like most here, are saddened by this tragedy and want to learn more. With that said....I'd much rather come here to read whatever details there are from you people who live this life and some who are even subject matter experts....more so than trying to discuss or read about it with individuals on some other website that likely do not have the knowledge or expertise that is found here.

So....IMO some latitude should be given as this discussion goes on that we all know the information will change as new updates come in. You people who have the expertise and/or knowledge of how things like this may/may not have happened...I like to read what your view is. I believe it can be discussed and still give due respect and privilege to those directly affected by this. No doubt they are grieving. If someone does not feel comfortable reading or discussing it, I understand that and hope they choose not to. As I said above, I'm sure there are others like me who choose to quietly read what the knowledgeable folks and/or SME's here care to share. I'm not targeting anyone, just offering my perspective and I'll head back to under my rock and hopefully keep reading. v/r....John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:46 pm 

CoastieJohn wrote:
I wasn't going to log in and post anything about this tragedy....however, I feel a point of observation is due. We all know it's very common for the details of any high profile event to change as new media updates come in. I, like most here, are saddened by this tragedy and want to learn more. With that said....I'd much rather come here to read whatever details there are from you people who live this life and some who are even subject matter experts....more so than trying to discuss or read about it with individuals on some other website that likely do not have the knowledge or expertise that is found here.

So....IMO some latitude should be given as this discussion goes on that we all know the information will change as new updates come in. You people who have the expertise and/or knowledge of how things like this may/may not have happened...I like to read what your view is. I believe it can be discussed and still give due respect and privilege to those directly affected by this. No doubt they are grieving. If someone does not feel comfortable reading or discussing it, I understand that and hope they choose not to. As I said above, I'm sure there are others like me who choose to quietly read what the knowledgeable folks and/or SME's here care to share. I'm not targeting anyone, just offering my perspective and I'll head back to under my rock and hopefully keep reading. v/r....John

Exactly my thoughts and sentiment!

1952 Ford F6 Howe Fire Truck
1951 Ford F5
1949 Ford F6 Dump Truck
1978 Ford Mustang II
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
1949 Ford 8N; 1948, 1949 & 1950 Baird Beavers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This has some quotes from officials in charge and on the ground. It doesn't look good: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49909735
Quote:
"There were fatalities," State Police Commissioner James Rovella told reporters at a news conference, adding: "Victims are very difficult to identify, we don't want to make a mistake."

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:07 pm 

menards wrote:
Matt Gunsch wrote:
5 killed per the latest

Very tragic. FAA may halt the ride program after this...

That was my thought as well...I would imagine after this the clamps will be put down and I would frankly be surprised to see the Collins Foundation survive this. Sad day all the way around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:03 pm 

The latest I could find now says 7 fatalities. This is so sad.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 10782.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

menards wrote:
Matt Gunsch wrote:
5 killed per the latest

Why?

In any activity, there is risk. Even if the risk is near zero, eventually there will be an accident.

Unless there is something weird about this accident, I don't see that it should change the playing field regarding ride programs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Kyleb wrote:
menards wrote:
Matt Gunsch wrote:
5 killed per the latest

Why?

Simple answer?
The Feds.
Imagine the wife of one of the passengers making a tearful appeal to Senate or the FAA in a hearing. Government usually takes the path of least resistance and it's always easier to say, "No" than it is to have to answer to an elected official (who is in control of your budget, BTW) asking why you allowed it.
Heck, I understand that the FAA recently stopped all paying rides on jet warbirds without working ejection seats and training for anyone sitting in one (which is very unlikely for either thing) other than the pilot.
It's not much of a stretch for the FAA to extend that to crew only on WW2 bombers and fighters.
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but how can anyone think it couldn't?

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:42 pm 

Press conference just given, with several agencies, including the NTSB, giving info.

Official information released at this press conference so far:

1) 16 people total were involved, 3 on the ground and 13 in the aircraft. That includes 7 confirmed fatalities and 6 survivors of the 13 total on board

2) Aircraft took off from Runway 6 and encountered a problem right after takeoff and 5 minutes after takeoff the aircraft crashed.

3) The aircraft was attempting to land on Runway 6. Upon landing, the aircraft hit the ILS instrument stanchion. After it hit, the aircraft veered far right, across the ramp area, and struck the de-icing area and Mx building.

4) A preliminary NTSB report will come out in approximately 10 days, with a final report given at 12 to 18 months.

5) No names of those involved will come out today. All but 3 families of the victims have been notified. Names will come out in the next day or two.

6) There were several heroic witnesses on the ground who rushed to the aircraft after it was on fire to save several survivors. Those heroic stories will be told in the coming days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next