Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 am 

I recently had occasion to pass by the NMUSAF in Dayton. First, if you haven't had a chance to check out the new hangar and Memphis Belle exhibit, do so. It's been about three years since I had a chance to drop in, and man, what a huge positive difference.

My question for those of you who have more intimate knowledge of the NMUSAF is: What happened to the other EC-135 in the Airpark? Last time I was there, I saw the ARIA EC-135 and there was another EC-135 without the droop snoot. Where'd it go?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:35 am 

Come to think of it, the C-60 and YC-125 that were out there were gone as well.

The Airpark is looking pretty spartan these days, compared to days past!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:47 pm 

YC-125B Offered up for exchange:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit ... p-yc-125b/

C-60 Placed in Storage:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit ... -lodestar/

1952 Ford F6 Howe Fire Truck
1951 Ford F5
1949 Ford F6 Dump Truck
1978 Ford Mustang II
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
1949 Ford 8N; 1948, 1949 & 1950 Baird Beavers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I would imagine with much of what was in the R&D hanger and presidential flight (former "annex") moved to the new building 4, there is plenty of space for the EC-135. If the JFK 707 and the XB-70 fit in there the EC-135 would fit no problems.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with some of the heavies that will be retiring ahead. They will need a big hanger for the E-3 AWACS, E-8 JSTARS, C-17#1 (already at Dayton), C-5M Galaxy, KC-10, E-4 "nightwatch/doomsday", Presidential 747 (when the -800 comes on line). I imagine a "real" B-2 could replace the static article, and a B-52H would be a nice bookend to the D model. Also a whole series of E/RC-135 types like Rivet Joint, Corbra's etc will be retiring, but imagine they all (any?) won't go to Dayton. From the latest accounts might be awhile for the C-5, B-52H, and KC-10 to fully retire.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

If you reference the article about the DH-89 being offered for exchange, I think the EC-135 that used to be in the airpark is in the background. I assume it's in storage.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit ... nd-dh-89a/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
If you reference the article about the DH-89 being offered for exchange, I think the EC-135 that used to be in the airpark is in the background. I assume it's in storage.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit ... nd-dh-89a/

That's definitely it. Thanks!

Man, there seems to be a lot going on at that museum. Impressive.

As to all the 707 models coming off lines in years to come...maybe they need a new building!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:58 am 

sandiego89 wrote:
I would imagine with much of what was in the R&D hanger and presidential flight (former "annex") moved to the new building 4, there is plenty of space for the EC-135. If the JFK 707 and the XB-70 fit in there the EC-135 would fit no problems.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with some of the heavies that will be retiring ahead. They will need a big hanger for the E-3 AWACS, E-8 JSTARS, C-17#1 (already at Dayton), C-5M Galaxy, KC-10, E-4 "nightwatch/doomsday", Presidential 747 (when the -800 comes on line). I imagine a "real" B-2 could replace the static article, and a B-52H would be a nice bookend to the D model. Also a whole series of E/RC-135 types like Rivet Joint, Corbra's etc will be retiring, but imagine they all (any?) won't go to Dayton. From the latest accounts might be awhile for the C-5, B-52H, and KC-10 to fully retire.

Perfect excuse to add another hangar! I don't think I could do it all in one day then. Not without running.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

sandiego89 wrote:

I have wondering about this for a while myself. I figure one option would be to just chop the "important bits" off and display them. I was specifically thinking in regards to the KC-135. Since they already have a 707 on display (the VC-137) and the only major important difference is the rear fuselage with the boom and boom operator's section, they could cut the tail off and just display that. (Maybe put it in a line with a mock up of the new KC-46 remote station to show the development of IFR?) Same goes for the chemical laser bits on the NKC-135 and the nose on the EC-135. A horrifying thought, I know, but it is one option.

I imagine they still have the ability to store planes out at Davis-Monthan AFB, so they could store the larger ones in the better environment there until they have a place to put them. (Don't forget, they still have the XC-99 out there that they don't know what to do with.) Something like what NASM did with the Boeing 367-80.

I seem to remember that when they were still planning out the fourth hangar there was a hypothetical layout that showed a C-5 inside. I'm glad that they dropped that idea, since it would have taken up so much space that they were able to use for multiple smaller airplanes.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would hope if they build a new hangar large enough for a C-5 they build it away from the current building...perhaps over by the annex.
That way it won't crowd the museum and memorial park...to say nothing of taking out a chunk of historic Wright Field where they land the planes going into the museum.