Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:39 pm 

Hi all. Working on the airstair door on C-53 "Beach City Baby". I could really use some pictures of the original C-53 door and after it was modified, the airstair type door. Don't have much to go on and want to get it right!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 pm 

Left- or Right-hand door?

I don't think the airstairs came about until after the war.

C2j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:25 pm 

Left hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Apologies! didn't see your thread. I have loads of photos. I'll post some asap.

M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:22 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Mark Allen M wrote:
Apologies! didn't see your thread. I have loads of photos. I'll post some asap.

M

:drink3:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:10 pm 

That would be greatly appreciated! Still not sure if this is a modified original door or if it was a built from scratch airstair. Either way, haven't had much luck on any sort of pictures or documentation!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, or how and what you want to see specifically, so I'll post these for now. Please let me know more specifics and I'll see what I can dig up for you. :)
Link below for the last 4 photos
https://delta.pastperfectonline.com/web ... 4376480957

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:30 pm 

Thanks! That will help a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:08 am 

Jason,

I'm still a little confused as to what you are looking for. I've got a lot of pictures of DC-3 LH doors, both original and airstair.

Are you looking for maintenance / installation drawings for the airstair? I do not believe the airstair was a Douglas part, but an STC by a third party. You may find maintenance / installation drawings and information in old Eastern, Delta or TWA manuals. I'd check with museums that operate the type (Delta and National Airline History Museum (TWA)) and with Basler.

I have maintenance / installation drawings for the original door, but that is of no help if the C-53 is equipped with an airstair door. Who converted the airplane to corporate configuration in 1953? Might give you a start on what STC was used.

C2j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:57 pm 

I'm working on the door for Jason and crew. Any and all documentation, whether its photos or drawings would help. It looks like we're sticking with the airstair for now, but also trying to figure out if our airstair was built from drawings or if the original door was modified.
For now I'm just reproducing what was originally there, minus a latch that we haven't figured out the purpose of. It isn't in any of the pictures Mark posted.
My biggest challenge right now is the bottom forward corner (as viewed with the airstair open). The wood has turned to mulch and the corner structure is rotted. I've attempted to make this corner from 2024T-3, but think I'm gonna have to get some un-treated sheet. The rest seems simple in comparison.
Additionally, looking for reference pics of the airstair data tag. It's here, but has very little color left on it.
I've reached out to a few operators, but have had the most success here with Mark's pictures.
As said, any and all documentation of either door type is greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:49 am 

flypa38,

PM me our email address.

C2j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

flypa38 wrote:
Hi all. Working on the airstair door on C-53 "Beach City Baby". I could really use some pictures of the original C-53 door and after it was modified, the airstair type door. Don't have much to go on and want to get it right!
Thanks!

Perhaps the following will help with the original door?

The linked site is a photo-rich source for Dakota/C-53D, 42-68823, LN-WND. By right clicking on website pics and "Open a new tab/window", one can zoom in to rear door details. Some samples:

http://dakotanorway.no/test/wp-content/ ... C_4532.jpg

http://dakotanorway.no/test/wp-content/ ... C_5402.jpg

I'll leave it to others to search their archive of online newsletters and pics at:

http://dakotanorway.no/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 am 

As I made a right dogs dinner of my last post of information, then what can go wrong with this one.
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:35 am 

DADE wrote:
As I made a right dogs dinner of my last post of information, then what can go wrong with this one.

Well, those are nice pictures of the C-47 door. The C-53 had the original DC-3 passenger door. Apparently the OP is working on a C-53 that has been converted to an airstair door. :drink3:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to contribute.

C2j

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 pm 

Hi Cubs2jets.
When you knowingly put different information about a certain version of an aircraft, I expected some remarks
to be what a right ++++++. But you were very polite in your reply and I thank you. I could not find anything
on the C-53, but on going through the C-47 and other variations of that aircraft, I found they all had nothing
on the maintenance of these doors except just oil the hinges. It was not until I got into the Spares Catalogue
that I found those drawings and thought I would put them on this thread. In Western Australia they used mainly
C-47 aircraft that were surplus U.S.A.A.F. after the war and stored in the Philippines or ex R.A.A.F. transports all with
the double freighter doors. The photo of our C-47 door should have been really in bits and pieces as the aircraft was assigned to
be blown up by a new R.A.A.F. bomb, but a pilot in the Air Force advised preservation groups about these historical
planes and because of the uproar, they were assigned to museums. The pilot had a Court Martial and never went any
further in his rank, but he married one of the ladies of the prosecution and is now a volunteer at our museum (true story).
One old C-53 wreck is still up in the Kimberley area and can be seen on this site.
https://tonyredhead.com/blog/c-53-skytrooper-crash-site
and the history on it can be seen at the bottom of the page in this site of ADF Serials. http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a65.htm
Again thank you :drink3: