Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 pm 

Hi again,

Today’s episode of the Vagabond’s Tokyo Travelogue takes us to the Yushukan - Tokyo War Museum located within the Yasukuni Shrine in Chiyoda, Tokyo.
Photography is allowed only in the main display halls and Special Exhibit area but that was fine for us as our main targets were on display in the main halls.
It was a quick AM trip on a day with a matinee for me, so we didn’t explore much else of the museum. While shooting high-angle images of the Zero with our monopod setup, we were politely told not to use it. We were not asked to delete the images however and what we have are included in the gallery. Fortunately, the other main hall with the Judy and other interesting stuff has an upper viewing area that allows for pseudo overhead shots.
Be warned the gallery is filled with military hardware of various classifications and categories as I chose NOT to make area-of-interest specific galleries this time. Keep scrolling if you don’t care about Japanese Tanks, Artillery, Locomotives, etc.
Also as a darkly humorous observation: I imagine Dr Kevorkian would have enjoyed this museum as there are exhibits of so many pieces of hardware designed for the primary purpose of killing yourself - rocket powered planes, piston powered planes, submarines, boats, swords, thinly armored tanks, etc.
Enjoy!

https://www.vgbimages.com/AirMuseums/Yu ... 9/n-KmJ7hX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:15 pm 

I've really been enjoying your Japanese tour threads Vagabond, thanks for sharing it all with us.

Does anyone know why the D4Y is so thoroughly propped up? I know some Japanese alloys had a tendency to weaken over time, is this the case here or is it a crash/sea recovery and the result of damage/corrosion?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 pm 

LysanderUK wrote:
I've really been enjoying your Japanese tour threads Vagabond, thanks for sharing it all with us.

Does anyone know why the D4Y is so thoroughly propped up? I know some Japanese alloys had a tendency to weaken over time, is this the case here or is it a crash/sea recovery and the result of damage/corrosion?

The answer to that lies in an old "Air Classics" article, from about 1980 or so, if I remember right. After the restoration was finished, they put an electric motor on the plane to make the prop turn and the original engine was left off of it. The article stated that the wing spars, which were not replaced or repaired (or not good enough), started to bend from the weight of the motor. Apparently the wing is so structurally unsound, due to corrosion, that it needs external support to keep from bending under it's own weight, even without the engine attached.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

So, what is the history of this D4Y. Marine or land recovery? Any photos prior to restoration?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:59 pm 

old iron wrote:
So, what is the history of this D4Y. Marine or land recovery? Any photos prior to restoration?

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/d4y/4316.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:26 am 

Many thanks for the info, great to have a complete example even if it is a little crooked.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:26 pm 

LysanderUK wrote:
Many thanks for the info, great to have a complete example even if it is a little crooked.

It's not the only one:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:32 am 

I didn't realize that the Planes of Fame Judy's motor actually worked. Also, I would love to see a comparison in the intakes scoops of the two. I think Planes of Fame's isn't correct.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Adam Kline wrote:
I didn't realize that the Planes of Fame Judy's motor actually worked. Also, I would love to see a comparison in the intakes scoops of the two. I think Planes of Fame's isn't correct.

The POF example originally had an inline engine. It is in taxiing condition only.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:27 pm 

bdk wrote:
Adam Kline wrote:

The POF example originally had an inline engine. It is in taxiing condition only.

This is correct. The PoF had an old, unairworthy DC-3 motor lying around, so that's what they put in the Judy. It is not an airworthy restoration. The original intention was to rebuild a static airframe that was capable of taxiing, but not flight. She could be made airworthy, but it would take a significant amount of money. For starters, the wing spar would have to be completely rebuilt, among many other critical items. But, for what it is, it looks fantastic! It's a far cry from when she first arrived at the now defunct MoF at Santa Monica back in 1991 when I first saw her.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It’s a living , breathing, taxiing, Judy. A 100 times better than a “dead airplane” stuffed in a museum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:23 pm 

marine air wrote:
It’s a living , breathing, taxiing, Judy. A 100 times better than a “dead airplane” stuffed in a museum.

I agree. Even though it doesn't fly, it's still exciting to see a Japanese aircraft taxi around. I think PoF came up with a really good compromise with this aircraft.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 am 

LysanderUK wrote:

Thanks very much! It is my pleasure to share and contribute.

I'm working on a gallery of stuff from a private museum North of Tokyo - I'll post it in a few days or so.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to see the Mitsubishi J8M that Mitsubishi Heavy Industries has in their collection as the museum is in a state of flux - this according to the gent behind the J-Hangar space Japanese aviation site - whom I met here in Tokyo the other day.

Also regarding the POF aircraft - a friend there told me they could also make the Jack airworthy - but it's all a matter of money. Like everything....

Cheers,
VB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:09 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Vagabond wrote:
Also regarding the POF aircraft - a friend there told me they could also make the Jack airworthy -

Other than the intergranular corrosion in the spar caps it appears to be in decent condition. The engine used to still turn over by hand and it has been indoors since.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
Vagabond wrote:
Also regarding the POF aircraft - a friend there told me they could also make the Jack airworthy -

Will someone please tell us that PoF has learned something this year about the risks of putting historic one-only aircraft into the air?