Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:05 pm 

seems a tad bit heavy handed on the exhaust - most of the TBD photos show very little or just a thin stream of exhaust residue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:58 pm 

I agree. Color seems off too. shouldn't it be more black/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:36 am 

Yes, the exhaust turned out badly. I provided the contractor who painted the exhaust on with all known photos and paintings of TBD exhaust stains, but they really went overboard with it. By the time I saw it again it was too late.

There was a wide variance in size and color of TBD exhaust stains (having to do with how often they were cleaned, how rich of a fuel mixture was used, and other factors), but for the most part exhaust stains were minimal. Most of the Battle of Midway pics and films show relatively clean birds (they only had the one sortie with a long prep time beforehand).

I was very happy to add the Devastator to our collection, but the final result with the extreme exhaust kind of ruined it for me.

Still, if you want to experience what it was like to be next to a full size Devastator, this is your only place where you can do that. With the Wildcat and Dauntless mere feet away, and the Battle of Midway Theater and exhibits all around you, this is the best B.O.M. exhibit in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:09 pm 

You guys do a great job. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:22 pm 

She wants to fly! Check out the Devastator waggling her wings in the background of this news story....
https://app.criticalmention.com/app/#/clip/public/652b6a6b-4922-403b-9e31-6adb986e6c83

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I guess leave it as is for now as it matches it’s appearance in the movie and looks nice. The exhaust stain suggests a fuel burn issue more than burning a lot of oil, etc. I couldn’t find an actual photo of a TBD with a stain that large or an engine that suck. Maybe they can shrink the size of the exhaust stain and put weathering and handprints in other areas. There would’ve been greasy handprints from folding the wings and pushing the airplane around on the deck. .Maybe add a couple of flat spots on the tired from smacking the deck on landing.