Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Odd mods on this Marauder

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:53 am

From a current eBay listing:
So why the solid or painted-over (except for bombardier's glass) nose and shackles under the belly?
Over to the experts...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1944-USAAF-ATC ... SwI2NdJnG6

P.S. Same seller has a bunch of shots of a/c that passed through there, including the infamous Curtiss C-76 :shock:

Re: Odd mods on this Marauder

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:22 am

Indeed and interesting nose- no idea on that.

Regarding the rack, wonder if that is the keel mounted external torpedo rack? Some fitted for service in the Aleutian campaign.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:29 am

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... y_1942.jpg

Looks like that to me too. Perhaps the nose which appears “one piece” was a fiberglass part designed to replace the two part plexi as added protection against bird strikes? It would seem to be a hazardous train8ng operation for the crews to be on the water practicing torpedo runs at speed with seagulls being a constant hazard.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:30 am

My first reaction is a radar test bed.
But more pointed than the P-61 nose.

Using an available (bailed) B-26 (looks like it has a trainer number on it) makes sense.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:50 am

Appears to be a B-3 or B-4 version, based on the intakes. The nose looks to be purpose built, so maybe a weary bird impressed into a test program..

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Nice Marauder- don't forget the Dodge Command Car in the background!

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:43 am

Torpedo rack underneath..

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 am

There appears to be a flat clear view panel underneath the nose, which to me suggests that it is not a radar nose.

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:50 am

To me, it looks like the standard plexi unit that has been painted over, except for the bottom flat portion.
Post a reply