Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:14 am 

NNOOOOOOOOOOO!! Not that. If that's what a museum needs/wants, just take a bunch of photos of it now & commission a modeler to make a large scale MODEL diorama for display. To me there is nothing more pathetic than to see a wrecked Warbird that could at least contribute a few parts and an identity for a flying restoration (replica, new build, or whatever term you prefer to use) used as a museum diorama. Well actually there is something more pathetic...a flyable Warbird relegated to a museum static display. In my mind, I can see these planes being in a vegetative state, but aware that they should be in the air & wondering why the heck they're stuck on the ground.
Ready for the roasting. :crispy:

Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:53 pm 

Jim MacDonald wrote:
NNOOOOOOOOOOO!! Not that. If that's what a museum needs/wants, just take a bunch of photos of it now & commission a modeler to make a large scale MODEL diorama for display. To me there is nothing more pathetic than to see a wrecked Warbird that could at least contribute a few parts and an identity for a flying restoration (replica, new build, or whatever term you prefer to use) used as a museum diorama. Well actually there is something more pathetic...a flyable Warbird relegated to a museum static display. In my mind, I can see these planes being in a vegetative state, but aware that they should be in the air & wondering why the heck they're stuck on the ground.

Mac

There is one cool thing about this wrecked fuselage...maybe im weird, but when I look at the original paint, specifically around the insignia..you can see the different applications of paint modifying the insignia as it changed through '42 and '43. There was a mx crew member applying that paint so the insignia conformed with the new regs. Send the hulk to a shop for a rebuilt and you'll lose alllll that originality.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:07 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

menards wrote:
There is one cool thing about this wrecked fuselage...maybe im weird, but when I look at the original paint, specifically around the insignia..you can see the different applications of paint modifying the insignia as it changed through '42 and '43. There was a mx crew member applying that paint so the insignia conformed with the new regs. Send the hulk to a shop for a rebuilt and you'll lose alllll that originality.

Why not just remove and display that skin? It will still retain the history. The original artwork on the cowling from Dottie Mae was retained. They just built a new cowling for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

bdk wrote:
menards wrote:

Why not just remove and display that skin? It will still retain the history. The original artwork on the cowling from Dottie Mae was retained. They just built a new cowling for it.

It's all going to need to be reskinned anyways. pop2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:28 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What's the record for the highest price for the least amount of material?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

PinecastleAAF wrote:
What's the record for the highest price for the least amount of material?

Not sure how much they paid for the hulks, but I imagine the recent Mosquito projects rank quite high in dollars per original pieces. Thank goodness we have some folks and organizations that can do this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jim MacDonald wrote:

Mac

It's only original once. The Pebble Beach folks are on board with this ethos now, and it's only a matter of time before the warbird world catches on. A 99% recreation means far less culturally than something that was 'there and did it'.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Agreed Jim. The Museum of the Pacific War, or whatever it’s called bought a ratty but flying Zero and a beautifully restored F4F Wildcat and parked them forever . Other museums of once flying aircraft include the Kalamazoo Air Zoo and the Palm Springs Air Museum.