Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

VMF-214 Birdcage corsair project offered

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Holy wow!!! :drink3: Currently offered at Courtesy Aircraft:

http://courtesyaircraft.com/aircraft/vo ... t-package/

Re: VMF-214 Birdcage corsair project offered

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Holy wow is right, they spelled Sikorsky wrong... :P

I'm sure Jack Cook will buy it...

Phil
Last edited by phil65 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:32 pm

I've seen others spell it with an "i".

Even if the i is correct in the original Russian (and I have no idea if that's the case), the company spells it with a y.

A bit like the times when I've seen Northrop misspelled as Northrup.

Or the Amazon book on Sikorsky with a Kamov on the cover. :)

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:41 am

This is part of the sell off of the Classic Jets Fighter Museum. They are auctioning off a ton of items along with a few aircraft but are continuing their Birdcage restoration. This was an additional wreck recovered by them to assist with the restoration of 02770. As mentioned in the listing, a number of the parts are coming from 02270, which is the bird they are restoring. That plane ditched in 43, and the remains sat in salt water until recovered several years ago by CJFM. An identity and a lot of pattern pieces are what you'd be buying here, I think. Hope someone grabs it!

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:38 pm

This one is gonna need a fair bit more than pressure washing.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 pm

DH82EH wrote:This one is gonna need a fair bit more than pressure washing.

Buffing! I'm pretty sure some buffing-out will be required.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:02 pm

This package lot was already sold by Classic Jets/Bob Jarrett back in 2017, to another individual who had plans to produce a static restoration, and who I assume is the one selling it now.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:26 pm

With the paint still being in place like that, it'd almost be good to put it back together as best you can and display it like that...

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 pm

I wonder how much/ little would be usable even in a static restoration? A fairly large amount of this package looks to be coming from 02270, and that airframe has essentially been built from scratch at CJFM with nothing done to airworthy standard. They're doing an outstanding job though and saved an airframe that potentially nobody else would have. With nicely restored F4U's going for $3-$4 million, roughly how much would it take to turn this into a flier?

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Likely quite a bit more than that!
The most usable component of this collection of bits, will likely be its' shadow!
A well established shop, that specializes in the type, would be in the best position to use this identity.
It will, regardless, be a monumental undertaking.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 pm

Give me a big box of skin pins :)

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:12 am

DH82EH wrote:Likely quite a bit more than that!
The most usable component of this collection of bits, will likely be its' shadow!
A well established shop, that specializes in the type, would be in the best position to use this identity.
It will, regardless, be a monumental undertaking.

So the Brewster Corsair comes to mind...that was nothing more than a hulk coming out of the swamp. Nothing is impossible....Odegaard's shop in NC is skilled at building up corsair aft fuselages...Ezell rebuilt (new-built) the main spar on the brewster and the window company corsair I believe.... West-Pac is doing pretty incredible things.... In the end for something with a lot of money to throw around... You'll have a brand new corsair with the identity of an original 214 aircraft.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 am

phil65 wrote:Holy wow is right, they spelled Sikorsky wrong... :P

I'm sure Jack Cook will buy it...

Phil

I dare you to knock this battery off my shoulder!
Attachments
conrad-battery.JPG
conrad-battery.JPG (13.7 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 am

And don't forget Chuck Wahl's Vultures Row Aviation is already restoring another Birdcage Corsair and manufacturing parts for other Corsair restoration projects.

Mac

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Maybe just set it up as a diorama.

Phil
Post a reply