Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:27 pm 

I just read something interesting that I'd never been aware of, in the book "Air Apaches," about the 345th Bomb Group B-25 strafers.

"No official stigma or punishment was attached to requests to be removed from combat flying. All aircrew in the United States Army Air Forces were volunteers and could not be forced to fly."

Does anybody know for sure whether this is or is not true?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:23 pm 

Stephan Wilkinson wrote:
I just read something interesting that I'd never been aware of, in the book "Air Apaches," about the 345th Bomb Group B-25 strafers.

"No official stigma or punishment was attached to requests to be removed from combat flying. All aircrew in the United States Army Air Forces were volunteers and could not be forced to fly."

Does anybody know for sure whether this is or is not true?

I am under the impression that even tho they were in in the military and couldn't leave, the choice to be an aircrew was theirs and they could leave flight status and be reassigned to another role without any detrimental affect on their record.

In the RAF, a refusal to fly resulted on the designation LMF ( lack of moral fiber) and resulted in that person being unable to serve in any meaningful position in the military in the future. Officers would be stripped of commission and NCO’s were demoted to LaC and forced to do menial tasks like latrine duty.

Very different outcomes for an airman suffering from combat stress!!

Sean

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Keep in mind that aircrew was a role that people competed for. Most considered it a better life than slogging through the war on the ground as infantry (especially early in the war when the allies weren't doing all that well).
Generally, I think it was considered as a "Careful what you wish for" kind of thing once the heavy bomber losses became known generally. I don't think that fighters were considered as much of a "you'll never make it home" prospect that bombers were by 1943, though.
martin_sam_2000 wrote:
I am under the impression that even tho they were in in the military and couldn't leave, the choice to be an aircrew was theirs and they could leave flight status and be reassigned to another role without any detrimental affect on their record.

I have talked with many 8th AF vets in the past and most of them told me they could turn in their wings if it got too rough, but generally they considered theirs a better lot in life than in a tank or a foxhole.
That's what they assumed awaited those who said they couldn't hack it. If that was accurate for official policy, I was never able to determine.
I once talked with a B-17 co-pilot (don't remember which group) who landed his bird as the only non-wounded member of the crew, covered in the remains of his pilot. As soon as he got out of the flak house (rest center) he walked into the air exec and handed him his wings. He said they made him a ADC for a general stateside as his command decided he'd really had enough, even for that line of work.
He also said he was shunned by the other aircrew on base before he got on the plane back to CONUS. He never flew a plane again, up to the time I met him in the 90s...

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:37 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

That has to be a tough decision. Heck, when I do voluntary overtime I have to constantly convince myself to stay at work. :)
And no one is shooting at me (at least most of the time) :axe:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've heard that as well. They were volunteers.
Given the stress they were under...as dramatized in Twelve O'Clock High, it's a wonder more didn't un-volunteer.

Shows what pride, dedication, honor, patriotism and I suspect...peer pressure...will do.

God bless them all...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:21 am 

There are a lot of these stories out there....

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily ... ailgunner/

If you have a choice...flying sounds better than the infantry. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

menards wrote:
If you have a choice...flying sounds better than the infantry. Just my two cents.

And note that enlisted crewmembers were NCOs.
Better pay, more privileges.

And as Jimmy Stewart said in the recruiting film he made (he really didn't want to trade in his fame but Hap Arnold asked him to) having wings got the attention of the ladies. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

In the movie Catch-22 this didn't seem to be the case?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bdk wrote:
In the movie Catch-22 this didn't seem to be the case?

There wouldn't be much of a book (or later film) if everyone was a well adjusted happy camper.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:08 pm 

JohnB wrote:
menards wrote:

And as Jimmy Stewart said in the recruiting film he made (he really didn't want to trade in his fame but Hap Arnold asked him to) having wings got the attention of the ladies. :)

The aircrew being NCOs was in regard to the Geneva Convention item that excluded officers from being used as labor as a POW, even though non commissioned. But I am sure they appreciated the extra pay and privileges.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:58 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

CraigQ wrote:
JohnB wrote:
menards wrote:

The aircrew being NCOs was in regard to the Geneva Convention item that excluded officers from being used as labor as a POW, even though non commissioned. But I am sure they appreciated the extra pay and privileges.

It was mostly a way for Arnold to loophole better pay for aircrews without completely altering the accounting structure. Every combat aircrewman was at least a Staff Sergeant. The US use, perception and definition of an NCO vis a vis the common European was a whole 'nuther ball o wax.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:43 am 

CraigQ wrote:
JohnB wrote:
menards wrote:

There were other Geneva Convention items, correct? I thought I remembered reading that generally speaking, enemy fighters and gunners were not allowed to shoot at aircrews after they bailed out of their planes and were parachuting down, however firing at paratroopers was ok. I thought this was because there were officers on bombers and paratroopers were all enlisted.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CraigQ wrote:

If that is accurate, I would suspect the decision would have been made at the War Department level, not USAAF/USAAC.

So that begs the question: were USN, USMC aircrew all NCOs?
I don't think so.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

menards wrote:
There were other Geneva Convention items, correct? I thought I remembered reading that generally speaking, enemy fighters and gunners were not allowed to shoot at aircrews after they bailed out of their planes and were parachuting down, however firing at paratroopers was ok. I thought this was because there were officers on bombers and paratroopers were all enlisted.

If you are in the armed forces you get periodic briefings on the Geneva Convention.
I've sat through and even given the briefings, so I can answer this.

Simply, a person parachuting from a disabled aircraft is considered helpless...basically surrendering....so don't shoot.

A paratrooper is an combatant...so he is fair game. His method of delivery to the battlefield is a parachute but he's not using it to save his life after this aircraft becomes disabled. A rough analogy would be it's okay to sink a landing craft or shooting down a helicopter delivering combatants.

It has absolutely nothing to do with rank....and I'd run afoul of some Army acquaintances if I didn't note that some paratroopers are officers.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

shrike wrote:
Every combat aircrewman was at least a Staff Sergeant.
I have been to a coiuple of 8th AF reunions over the years and have met more than a few vets who were buck SGTs as gunners in bombers in the ETO.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)