Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:15 pm 

I was thinking about the "artifacts" in the possession of the Carolinas Aviation Museum. Then I got to thinking what "artifacts" does the museum actually own outright?

Here is what I can think of:

Airbus 320 (ditched, sunk, salvaged, cut apart, cleaned and transported, not airworthy)
Piedmont Airlines DC-3 N44V (last flight April / May 2011 needs one engine and one brake expander tube)
A/B-26 Invader (disassembled, in storage, from Tom Riley, has at least 1 wing attach point cut)
Two (?) T-33's (disassembled, shrink wrapped and outside storage last time I had knowledge)
Gulfstream II s/n 1 (unairworthy, no engines)
OV-1 Mowhawk (1) (originally flyable, not flown since 2005? Lots of spare parts including SLAR boom)
OV-1 Mowhawk (2) (originally flyable, not flown since late 90's / early 2000's)
UH-1H Huey helicopter (complete, potentially restorable to flight)
Bell 222 helicopter (air ambulance config, flown in, engines removed by donor, in storage)
Bellanca Cruisair Junior (hanging in terminal at Charlotte Airport)
Cessna 150 (unairworthy, de-registered, on display)
Champion 7EC Citabria (flown in, de-registered, disassembled in storage)
Ercoupe (not airworthy, on display)
Long Midget Mustang (not airworthy, in storage)
Replica Sopwith Camel (not airworthy, built by local High School)
1903 Wright Flyer replica (from closed museum in Augusta, GA)
1902 Wright glider replica (hanging in terminal at Charlotte Airport)

Can anybody think of anything else that is OWNED by the museum (not on loan from military or other)?

C2j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:15 pm 

Double post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm 

Hi C2J,
Some corrections / updates for your list;

The Huey is on loan from the Army, they traded the one we bought to Tom for the F-100 "project" he had ( it's on the ramp at the old hangar )
The A-26, C-47 "Miss Piggy" , and P-47 went north to the same buyer ( will post when I verify who and receive his permission )
I heard they were wanting to sell / get rid of one of the Mohawks, haven't been able to make sure if any are gone yet.
Shot up remains of F-86 ( Batcave )
CG-15 glider framework ( Batcave)
F-84G ( old ramp )
P-80 forward fuselage ( Batcave )

Also the KC-97 cockpit trailer, and the 727 sim are both owned by the museum as well as alot of the engines and all the ground support equipment.

Cheers
:drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3: :drink3:
Can't imagine why ! He needs a frown to be accurate though !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Cubs2jets wrote:
Interesting. There are three artifacts from the Air Force at the museum. The F-101 and F-102 are actually on loan to the city of Charlotte who 10+ years ago asked the museum to caretake them. To my knowledge, until the C-130 about 5 years ago the Air Force would NOT transfer any assets to the museum because the museum did not meet minimum standards. Heck, the museum even got a retired general involved and the AF said no.

If the Air Force thought the museum was in such good financial shape, ya would have thought they'd have transferred more assets. Until a couple years ago they would have accepted ANYTHING the Air force was willing to transfer to them. There aren't any.

C2j

At the time, the AF Museum was severely restricting artifacts (aircraft) going to any museums. The leadership at the time felt that there were too many airplanes that had been given/loaned to museums and airparks around the country that were not being properly taken care of. Many museums closed over the years leaving the Air Force stuck with disposing of the aircraft left behind...especially the large ones.
Getting the EC-130E to CAM was a struggle due to this policy.
The AF Museum actually offered an ABCCC Capsule but the CAM turned it down due to lack of display space...and ther logistics of retrieving it from AMARG...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:06 pm 

OH! The irony!

The AF was worried about giving a "large aircraft" to a museum that couldn't take care of it? And they gave a C-130 to a muesum that by that point had gutted its' volunteer staff (the people that actually cared about the airplanes)! :rofl:

I guess after that fumble the AF hasn't given an aircraft to anybody. They'll be on the hook to dispose of this one too.

Oh, my!

C2j