Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:12 pm 
S/N Geek

Col. Rohr wrote:
Question on another thread we have been trying to ID the Stearman used in Tora Tora Tora, I know the plane is still on the Island do you know who owns it. Also when I was there last their was a guy with a L-13 has he got it flying yet.

Thanks for raising that point Rob! I know it had nothing to do with the actualy 7 December 1941 events, but I would still like to know the ID of the airframe used in Tora Tora Tora.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:53 pm 

Aloha All,
The task to list the American aircraft airborne DURING the Pearl Harbor Attack is not easy. Few have done enough reading to accomplish this. Fewer still have comprehended the totals, unless prodded.

The average person on the street will say, "none"...those who saw Ben Afflected fly at star-wars speed will get up to two. Those who viewed TORA [times three] may get upwards of five or six. General readers may get upwards of a dozen or two. General Pearl Harbor readers may get thirty or so. Die hard Pearl Harbor researchers came up with upwards of fifty to sixty until the Stan Cohen EAST WIND RAIN roster listed over SEVENTY (roster incomplete).

Where are you in the melting pot?
Cheers,
David Aiken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:32 am 

Hello David,

First - Excellent article on the missing P-36 - My hats off to you for the effort.

Having seen a number of WW2 movies and read some books, my first answer to the question was "2 P40s and a gaggle of B-17s". Till I read this thread and the article, I had no Idea that the P-36s were airborne too.

I only read about George Welch and his wingman.

regards

Jagan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:43 am 

Aloha Jagan,
Glad that the list opened your eyes to MORE than the recent PEARL HARBOR movie...even TORA [times three] had more American aircraft airborne but no where near the SEVENTY plus which have been verified.

Hope that this helps you to begin your own deeper search into the facts behind Pearl Harbor!
Cheers,
David Aiken, a Director: Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc http://pearlharbor-history.org/ the largest WWII URL on the blue marble

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:15 pm 
Andrew Flying Service had 2 Interstate Cadet Model S-1A, NC 37266 and NC37345. Both aircraft sold in 1941 from Interstate Aircraft & Engineering Co., El Secondo, California new to Olen V. Andrew, Andrew Flying Service, John Rogers Field, Honolulu, Territory of Hawiaii. One of these aircraft was the first American aircraft which was the target of the attacking Japaneese. I currently own NC37266 and am restoring it to as new condition with the original vermillion and cream paint as sold from the factory. Anyone who could provide me with information regarding either of these aircraft please forward to me.
George L. Mothershed
P.O. Box 83074
Phoenix, Arizona 85071-3074
Telephone (602) 866-2760

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

While we're on the Pearl Harbor thread, I once read (perhaps in Parade Magazine on the 40th anniversary of Pearl Harbor? I can't recall...) that the superstructures to the Arizona and both of her Kingfisher scout planes are still in the Pearl Harbor area. If my memory serves me correctly, they are located on an uninhabited, inaccessible and restricted patch of land near the harbor. Can anyone confirm or deny my recollection?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:51 pm 
George Mothershed wrote:
Anyone who could provide me with information regarding either of these aircraft please forward to me.
George L. Mothershed
P.O. Box 83074
Phoenix, Arizona 85071-3074
Telephone (602) 866-2760

Aloha George,
My e-mail is PearlHarborHistory@hotmail.com ...write me direct.
Cheers,
David Aiken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:58 pm 
SaxMan wrote:
While we're on the Pearl Harbor thread, I once read (perhaps in Parade Magazine on the 40th anniversary of Pearl Harbor? I can't recall...) that the superstructures to the Arizona and both of her Kingfisher scout planes are still in the Pearl Harbor area. If my memory serves me correctly, they are located on an uninhabited, inaccessible and restricted patch of land near the harbor. Can anyone confirm or deny my recollection?

Aloha Saxman,
The superstructure above the waterline [and below the OLD memorial] was removed for the current memorial and is all that is left. Nothing exists for the rest of what you list. This is located behind a guarded and locked gate, which once was open to some folk who were able to obtain steel shards...and now this material is being donated to select museums and to raise monies for select charities.
Cheers,
David Aiken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:53 am 

I found this forum and thread while researching 2LT John Dains, and just HAD to join. My dad, the late Lt. Col. Stephen W. Prime Sr., was a propeller mechanic with the 47th Pursuit Squadron at PH on 7 Dec 1941. (He was a sergeant at the time, but retired from the USAF in 1963 as an LTC. He died in 1969.) For years I've been intrigued that so little is known about Lt. Dains. If there is anyone here who can steer me to photos, obits, etc., I'd be obliged. Ironically, I live right by Barksdale Air Force Base (and also cover it in my work as a military reporter) and that is where the 47th, now the 47th Fighter Squadron with the Air Force Reserve's 917th Wing, is now based. I'm in touch with their historian, Staff Sgt. John Snowman, and they have very little on Dains. I'd at least like to get a memorial to him placed with the unit. Any help getting info would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone here heard of a B-26 belly-landing in Cross Lake here during World War I? It's supposedly still there, silted over. I know someone who eyed it going in, and the director of the museum at the base has spoken to at least two pilots who remember the silhouette of the plane under the lake surface being visible at times for at least a year or two after the war.

I have access to all my paper's microfilm and will happily (and freely) do lookups for coverage of crashes, etc.

Best to all, John Prime, Shreveport, LA

David_Aiken wrote:
Aloha All,
Here is a trivia question: How many American aircraft were airborne DURING the Pearl Harbor Attack...?

To set some rules...let us state that "airborne" means "wheels off the ground"...area: within say 300 miles of Oahu..."during" means time so let us say: 0755-0955 [tho Japanese forces were over Hawaiian Territory until after 1300 hours!] Hope that solves some questions.

If you are reading this board carefully, that Myers OTW [said to be airborne during the attack] was owned by Marguerite (nee Hunter) Gambo [later known as "Ma" Wood], and often she said that she was flying that plane...her student's logbook confirms that she was actually flying an Aeronca 'tandum'.

So how many US planes? There is a spoiler at: http://www.pearlharborattacked.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard4/ikonboard.cgi?s=40f2f8373dc1ffff;act=ST;f=14;t=413 and in Stan Cohen's EAST WIND RAIN [Missoula, MT: Pictorial Histories Pub; 1994 and later editions] page 96-97.

Good luck,
David Aiken, dai toa senso kokan senshi: Shinjuwan Sakusen sensei

(800) 462-6436, ext. 250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:23 am 

Aloha John,
Happy New Year!
Glad that you have an interest in John Dains! I am working on a memorial plaque for John, too. Yet, it is hopefully to be set up at or near his crash site. I have a thin file on John, thanks to John's 1941 roommate, and later to John's brother and nephew.

Follow the above URL "spoiler" about American aircraft airborne during the attack and find a LOT more about the attack. Write me direct at:
PearlHarborHistory (at) Hotmail (dot) com, too.
Cheers,
David Aiken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:46 am 

japrime wrote:

Also, has anyone here heard of a B-26 belly-landing in Cross Lake here during World War I? It's supposedly still there, silted over. I know someone who eyed it going in, and the director of the museum at the base has spoken to at least two pilots who remember the silhouette of the plane under the lake surface being visible at times for at least a year or two after the war.

I have access to all my paper's microfilm and will happily (and freely) do lookups for coverage of crashes, etc.

See:
http://www.b-26marauderarchive.org/NL/T ... 1/V1N2.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:15 pm 

I have this information. Actually, we had many airplanes go in the lake, but all (that we know of) burned save for the tail and were on the shore or in the shallows. In the early 1940s, the lake had an in-channel depth of some 40 feet. It has since silted to where it is no deeper than 10 feet anywhere. I have it from a police diver that a stolen car ditched in parts of the lake, at least in the '60s, could be swallowed up by the muck over a weekend. So....

Our paper was quite spotty on coverage of military crashes in World War II. Our editor-publisher at the time was a World War I veteran and one of the original American Legion founders. A prime mover in the effort to get Barksdale here, he would have erred on the side of security and need-to-know at the time, so only about one in three crashes saw coverage, particularly if there was no loss of life.

There were a lot of crashes prior to 1943, and for early 1944 the official memory at the base was that there were few if no crashes .... until I started to look up stories we'd written. In one 42-day period there were eight crashes (including two mid-air collisions) that took the lives of 43 fliers -- better than one a day, on average. It was one of the bloodiest periods in Barksdale history.

I'm collecting all the stories on these, hope to get the reports, and some day would like to see a memorial to all those who died here in training.

This is starting to get off thread, and that could bother folks. Is there a more appropriate thread to post this in, or can we digress?

paulmcmillan wrote:
japrime wrote:

See:
http://www.b-26marauderarchive.org/NL/T ... 1/V1N2.pdf

(800) 462-6436, ext. 250

Post subject: Cross Lake, LA birds
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:30 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

May I suggest you start a new thread? Your knowledge and dedication to
this history has the "legs" to stand on it's own. Fascinating potential :wink:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF