Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Pratt & Whitney Airworthy J75-P-17 F-106 Delta Dart

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:15 am

Is anyone restoring to flight or currently operating the F-106?

Re: Pratt & Whitney Airworthy J75-P-17 F-106 Delta Dart

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:05 am

SpairParts wrote:Is anyone restoring to flight or currently operating the F-106?

Good question. The ones stored in El Paso have all been trucked away to destinations unknown to me. Those were the most viable airframes.

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Perhaps the closest to a flying 106?

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquir ... 6&PageNo=1
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N816NA.html
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/mul ... _desc.html

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:38 am

Clifford Bossie wrote:
SpairParts wrote:Is anyone restoring to flight or currently operating the F-106?

Good question. The ones stored in El Paso have all been trucked away to destinations unknown to me. Those were the most viable airframes.

This link has the six F-106's that were in El Paso going to the following places:

1.F-106B 57-2509 SOLD Private purchase in Dec 2016 to Palm Springs Air Museum
2.F-106B 57-2453 SOLD Private purchase in Dec 2016 to Excelsior High School, Victorville, CA
3.F-106B 57-2545 SOLD Private purchase in Jul 2013 by Dan Bissell owner of 'Bissell Auto Body', St. Louis, MO and now sits in his lot
4.F-106A 59-0047 SOLD Private purchase in Jul 2013 by Dan Bissell owner of 'Bissell Auto Body', St. Louis, MO and now sits in his lot
5.F-106A 58-0786 SOLD Oct 2015, prep for static display at California Science Center. Moved to Victorville CA for temp storage until can be displayed in new facility at California Science Center
6.F-106B 57-2517 SOLD 20 Jan 2003 - Stripped and sold for scrap

https://www.f-106deltadart.com/piwigo/i ... ategory/71
Last edited by sandiego89 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:39 am

Clifford Bossie wrote:

you can see some F-106 bits (and a F-105, a few helos, etc) at the St Louis automotive shop:

https://goo.gl/maps/JC3xtWAjvU62

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:39 am

And a MiG-23!

As to Century Series Jets in Airworthy and regularly flying condition we only have a few survivors...

F-100F - Collings Foundation, Cutshall Collection and perhaps one other. No current D models flying though some stored.

F-101- no flying examples, and no chance of any...

F-102. - none...and no chance of any. Perhaps a good thing considering the runway and safety requirements of the Delta Dart!

F-104 - healthy small population in Florida....the ultimate airplane ride. TF-104 variants mostly.

F-105. Sadly none. The most historic of the fighters from a warbird point of view. There was a chance till rouge elements from the USAFM or USAF had all the engines “spiked” to prevent this from ever happening. Ever.

F-106 - no more after the Texas population was dispersed. The fastest production single engined aircraft ever I think...

F-107. - all state owned. No

Technical mention:

F-110. - just one...the Collings Foundation in the USA. JASDF takes them out of service I believe this year. Possibly Turkey and Greece still fly them too...

Stretching the boundary of the century series...

F-111....all finished.

F-117. Secretly several flying at the Groom Lake facility...

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:56 pm

Joe Scheil wrote:And a MiG-23!

As to Century Series Jets in Airworthy and regularly flying condition we only have a few survivors...

F-100F - Collings Foundation, Cutshall Collection and perhaps one other. No current D models flying though some stored.

F-102. - none...and no chance of any. Perhaps a good thing considering the runway and safety requirements of the Delta Dart!

F-104 - healthy small population in Florida....the ultimate airplane ride. TF-104 variants mostly.

F-105. Sadly none. The most historic of the fighters from a warbird point of view. There was a chance till rouge elements from the USAFM or USAF had all the engines “spiked” to prevent this from ever happening. Ever.

F-106 - no more after the Texas population was dispersed. The fastest production single engined aircraft ever I think...

Technical mention:

F-110. - just one...the Collings Foundation in the USA. JASDF takes them out of service I believe this year. Possibly Turkey and Greece still fly them too...

F-111....all finished.

As for the F-110, better known as the F-4, add Iran. Somewhat ironically I would not be surprised to see Iran as the last military operator of the F-4 Phantom.

There is an early F-4H project that was for sale! https://www.platinumfighters.com/phantom2

F-117 more likely operating from Tonapah, not too far from Groom.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 pm

sandiego89 wrote:
Joe Scheil wrote:And a MiG-23!

Technical mention:

F-111....all finished.

As for the F-110, better known as the F-4, add Iran. Somewhat ironically I would not be surprised to see Iran as the last military operator of the F-4 Phantom.

There is an early F-4H project that was for sale! https://www.platinumfighters.com/phantom2

F-117 more likely operating from Tonapah, not too far from Groom.

Greece, Iran, Japan, South Korea, and Turkey still operate the F-4 in their Air Forces. Japan wraps up in 2019, and I believe Greece is not far behind. I have not heard of time table for South Korea or Turkey. Iran will fly them until they get tired of making parts I suppose.

The F-117 is definitely operating from Tonapah, and not very secretively either. At least one airframe was filmed in Death Valley in broad daylight a couple of days in a row, just two weeks ago.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Posted before, but appropriate to the conversation
bisselautoyard.jpg

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Ryan Harris wrote:The F-117 is definitely operating from Tonapah, and not very secretively either. At least one airframe was filmed in Death Valley in broad daylight a couple of days in a row, just two weeks ago.

For anyone curious

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:08 pm

What is really sad is the disappearance of the US Navy F-4 Phantom fleet, with perhaps only 35 examples remaining worldwide. Seems they are rarer than many of the WW2 types now! Have not censused the USMC RF-4 fleet, but few USN phantoms are around...and sadly most are condemned to rot outside for the next 40 years as static’s before being quietly scrapped.
Attachments
A37DBB9F-6E01-40B0-ACB4-9DAB7532126F.jpeg

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 pm

Joe Scheil wrote:F-106 - no more after the Texas population was dispersed. The fastest production single engined aircraft ever I think...

Too bad - every home should have one :mrgreen: .

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:54 pm

https://www.f-106deltadart.com/lineages.htm

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Joe Scheil wrote:As to Century Series Jets in Airworthy and regularly flying condition we only have a few survivors...

Plus the airworthy TF-104 in Europe, restored at and operated out of Bodo, Norway.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:38 pm

I thought the Collins Foundation had / has an F-105 that they were trying to get permission to return to flight. . . ?

Tom P.
Post a reply