Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Jeep with B-17 greenhouse...

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:47 am

The Hemmings car publications website just posted a Facebook link to this 398th BG Jeep with a clever addition...

See it here:
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/02/1 ... heelcover/

Or here on FB:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/WWIIG503/ ... _tn__=CH-R

Anyone know more?

As an aside, I would have thought a B-17 cockpit would have been wider than MB/GPW.
Last edited by JohnB on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Jeep with B-17 greenhouse...

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:50 am

Can't see the pic but suspect it's a runway control vehicle: a number were locally converted using various turrets etc.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:01 am

Not a mobile control vehicle. If you go to the first link and scroll about half way down you'll see it. It's a Jeep with a B-17 greenhouse (aka cockpit) grafted to it. According to the G503 page, it was the 398th BG's "runabout" at Nuthampstead.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:48 am

Ha! Very interesting.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Neat. The B-17 cockpit is rather cosy.....says me who's flown them...

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:27 pm

You know you're winning the war when...

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:50 pm

Kyleb wrote:You know you're winning the war when...

...you have the time and material to customize a Jeep. :)

I'm always amazed at the ingenuity of WWII GIs, some of which started the post-war custom car and hot rod movement.

In the other hand, I'd bet there were a few donors for the cockpit enclosure...given the likelihood of "war weary" and battle damaged machines.

It would be interesting to for someone to make a replica...either an actual b-17 part (are there any out there that aren't being used as part of a project?) or a new build section..either from an airframe component maker (I shudder to think of the cost) or a non-airworthy component like the guys in the UK who build cockpit sections.

Failing that, a 1/48 scale model.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm

I'd love to see a side view of this as you can't tell how high up the roof of the B-17 parts is in relation to the driver. It almost looks like there'd be no head room as the steering wheel looks like it's only a foot or so from the roof.
I sure couldn't drive a Jeep with a roof that low, no matter how cool it'd be!
But as for finding a Jeep like this, you'd never be able to display it without people constantly demanding you sell the upper part to them!

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:12 pm

One way to escape the English winters.
Post a reply