Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

New "Right Stuff" limited TV series

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 am

It's hard to imagine how they hope to top Philip Kaufman's 1983 feature, but National Geographic Television and Leo DiCaprio's production company are set to try. It seems they intend a more "grounded" approach and will use the longer format to expand the story beyond the test pilots and Mercury astronauts profiled in the classic Tom Wolfe book.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/nat-geo-the-right-stuff-1202554009/

Re: New "Right Stuff" limited TV series

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:05 am

Can't see how they'll top the original movie either, but if it's something that's going to be a little different anyway, then bring it on.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:18 am

And now with CGI, they can fill up those empty ramps at Edwards this time... Wonder if XB-47 46-066 will be displayable when filming starts?

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 pm

James D wrote:Can't see how they'll top the original movie either, but if it's something that's going to be a little different anyway, then bring it on.

The movie and book are very different from each other, a fact I didn't realize until I read the book many years after seeing the movie.
The movie is more like a dark comedy in many ways. The book isn't like that at all.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:57 pm

The late Paul Garner didn't like the film because of the way it played with the timeline and minor facts...Yeager was not ejecting from the NF-104 when the astronauts were being honored, stuff like that.

But I found the film to be very faithful to the spirit or tone of the book, and a great example of portraying history without going to the semi-documentary route like Tora, Tora, Tora or the Battle of Britain, both of which are pretty boring if you aren't a airplane or history buff.

I was looking forward to the film so much, I went on opening day right after work, I may have worn my uniform (though I probably took along a chance of clothes). I do recall having dinner at the theater...the only time I've had movie theater hotdogs. The theater, a neat art deco place from the 30s was saved from the wrecking ball and restored, it's now the home of the symphony.
Every time I go there, I think of the film and the hot dogs.
As much as I enjoy their performances, it still can't top the excitement I had in seeing the film for the first time.
Last edited by JohnB on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:06 pm

The book has a lot on Pete Conrad (a true character, even among characters, in the space program at that time), which is totally ignored in the movie.
JohnB wrote:The late Paul Garner didn't like the film because of the way it played with the timeline and minor facts...Yeager was not ejecting from the NF-104 when the astronauts were being honored, stuff like that.

He also didn't randomly decide to just take her for a spin, either. :roll:

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 pm

The book and movie are different, but are both very well done.

The only thing I hate about the movie is the synthesizer based soundtrack. It sounds very 1984.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 pm

1984 was the best... :supz:

Phil

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 am

Kyleb wrote:The only thing I hate about the movie is the synthesizer based soundtrack. It sounds very 1984.

You are forgetting the clever (and dramatic) use of Holst's The Planets. Unless I am mistaken,b it was a symphonic arrangement used in the production.

By coincidence, I was listening to it today and was reminded of its use in the film.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:45 am

p51 wrote:
James D wrote:Can't see how they'll top the original movie either, but if it's something that's going to be a little different anyway, then bring it on.

The movie and book are very different from each other, a fact I didn't realize until I read the book many years after seeing the movie.
The movie is more like a dark comedy in many ways. The book isn't like that at all.

You think? I've read the book too and was of the opinion that the film hoves pretty close to it in terms of tone.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 am

I first saw it in an old fashioned movie palace, too. A full-sized screen really does it justice.

They carved that theater up to make a cineplex with 3 little screens, years ago. Might as well watch all movies at home now.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:09 am

Eh. The movie "The Right Stuff" was bad.

The book was fantastic hilarious and informative. But to be fair to the movie script writers, this was a book that would be very difficult to transfer to the screen. The clearest example of that - and the most egregious, fingernails-on-the-blackboard example is:

The Military Compact.

Wolfe could and did describe it clearly in prose. It was an important part of the narrative. But there's no way you can get that on the screen in anything but a hamfisted way. Every time I see the movie and one of the astro-wives pipes up with "But what about the Military Compact?!?!?!?!" I wince with pain.

No one ever talked like that even if they were aware of the concept - which I assume they were.

There were good parts of the movie and some pretty good performances. But it wasn't a very good movie.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Bill Conti's soundtrack is simply awe inspiring. Love it. For several years the National Memorial Day Concert, used "The Right Stuff" theme as the opening music.

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:39 am

Agree 100% on the Bill Conti score.
Especially the final scene with Yeager walking across the desert and the ambulance driver asks Ridley "Is that a man?"
The theme swells...
It's like seeing John Wayne whip the bad guys or Rocky winning his fight.
A classic bit of cinema...cowboy meets astronaut.

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 am

JohnB wrote: Yeager walking across the desert and the ambulance driver asks Ridley "Is that a man?"

Yeah, you're dam right it is ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1x-bSkAZI
Post a reply