Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: F6F Hellcat projects
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the WIX. I asked the same question a few weeks ago about this Hellcat project. Someone responded saying the US Navy possibly has it. What they would do with it, I do not know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:10 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Planes of Fame might have what was left of the F6F post crash. I heard not much. There is also the one on outside display as a weather vane at Andrews .
By the way, I've met a half dozen present or former military pilots that had served at Andrews. No one ever recalls or has a clue about the F6F. It's probably time for the Navy to put a replica out there and bring the real one inside or even update it with a type recognizable in the 21st Century. Maybe a T-34C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

marine air wrote:
The Planes of Fame might have what was left of the F6F post crash.
I believe they do have the wreckage of their F6F-5 in storage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 pm 
a.k.a. TBDude

matthew.e.woods wrote:
Has anyone heard of what happened to the Hellcat that was at Quonset Air Museum?

In a thread titled "The Quonset Air Museum's Collection," WIX member Quonset (who I believe is one of the museum owners) responded on 22 November 2017 to say that the F6F-5 Hellcat wreck was going to NNAM [National Naval Aviation Museum].
Quonset wrote:
F6f5 wreck Hellcat: NNAM

So it would seem the answer is Pensacola. What's been done with it since then, I don't know. There's a lot of cool things in storage down there awaiting loans to good homes with space and interest to display them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:19 pm 

Does POF still have the remains of their Hellcat ? It would be a nice Tribute Rebuild to Art Vance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 am 

Kermit has one but don't think it's in the queue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:33 am 

Yanks has been posting a bit about theirs. I remember reading awhile back that they had some planes they were restoring to potentially fly, is the Hellcat one of them??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:39 am 

Heard a rumour that The Fighter Collection / Stephen Grey has a Hellcat project. I saw there is a nose section currently in their hangar at Duxford. Any idea if there is an airframe to go with it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

TBM Tony wrote:
Does POF still have the remains of their Hellcat ? It would be a nice Tribute Rebuild to Art Vance.

The plane would not be needing to be rebuilt if he had not been in a hurry and flew it into IMC conditions. If it is a tribute rebuild, then it should be for those who fought and serviced them, not for someone who made a poor decision and destroyed the plane.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

pop2
Lon Moer wrote:
Well, I saw on TV that you could just go and find Hellcats at random desert airports, tow them home and with a few grinder sparks you can have them flying again.
:D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thought the same thing. My thought was that a representation of the F6F could eventually be put together from bits and pieces collected from around the world to A) The vets that flew them in battle and their maintainers and B) Specifically to Mr. Maloney and his extended family for his vision and the family's vision to collect, fly and keep these special aircraft going.
Mr. Vance's P-51 "Speedball Alice" is still out there in his paint and flown by his son.That's a pretty nice tribute to him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Matt Gunsch wrote:
TBM Tony wrote:

The plane would not be needing to be rebuilt if he had not been in a hurry and flew it into IMC conditions. If it is a tribute rebuild, then it should be for those who fought and serviced them, not for someone who made a poor decision and destroyed the plane.

Well put, Matt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

TBM Tony wrote:

Really this seems as likely as putting the Super Corsair back together. I’m sure it was destroyed and burned also. There’s nothing to rebuild.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Super Corsair was on fire going 300 kits. And went straight down. The F6F Hellcat was following I-40 through a supposed pass through the Cumberland mountains. It hit not one but two sets of power lines. The second set took it down. It would’ve been flying a lot slower. The Engine was torn loose and went down a cliff. It was retrieved by tow truck with the drivers grandpa , a WW II veteran showing him how to retrieve it from its location.
Every piece to the smallest item was put in a U-Haul truck and taken off. Mr Hinton the crew to pick up every single snippet . He said “ we don’t want to see anything from our buddy’s accident showing up on EBay.” Very classy. I wasn’t there. This was told to me second hand.

So, its not so much of a rebuild. One starts wth a data plate, logbooks and any useable items from the crash. Then any surplus parts that were back at Chino. Then any other spare parts that can be sourced from other museums, crash sites, and individuals. It’s a matter of collecting parts until you have a “ basis for a project airplane.”
Many people won’t start a restoration and plunk millions into it until they know its possible for it to be completed. This is as how I understand it works.