Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:08 pm 

Good evening gents. I recently came upon some interesting WW2 pics that came from a local thrift store. I have them all framed up and hanging in the “museum” and am trying to find out more of the story. The B-29 shown in the pcs is named “thunderbird”. I believe that the aircraft in question is SN 42-63454 which was assigned to the 58th BW, 462nd BG, 770th BS. If this is indeed the correct A/C (there was another b-29 but it was thunder bird with a space in the name) then it started out in India and then transferred to the pacific. The name SSgt Nogradi is visible on the nose gear door. I believe that it is possible this aircraft started out with a pilot named William B Dunn.

I am looking for any info anyone can shed any more info than what I have found. I always try to identify as much of a picture as I can. These men did amazing things and I really would like to put any names or fate with them that I can.

I posted this up on another forum and someone found another pic of the same plane but taken a short while after the pics I bought. If anyone can identify the marks on the nose gear door that would be appreciated as well.

https://imgur.com/a/f60uQSD

Thanks in advance

Merry Christmas

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:26 pm 

That particular Thunderbird was 42-63570, assigned to the 29th Bomb Group. I used a photo of it in Saga of the Superfortress.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is all I have and all I know.

Bell-Atlanta B-29-30-BA Superfortress "Thunderbird" 42-63570.
Delivered to USAAF 18 Jan 1945.
Assigned to 6th Bomb Squadron, 29th Bomb Group.
Named ‘City of Williamsport’.
Named ‘Thunderbird’.
Assigned to 459th Bomb Squadron, 330th Bomb Group
Named ‘City of Miami Beach’. Returned to USA. Reclaimed.

Photo taken August 22, 1945.
Top row L-R: Lt. Raymond E. Bletha-Airplane Commander. Lt. John McCarville-Pilot. Lt Raymond McHenry-Navigator. Lt. Calvin Lyons-Bombardier. Lt. William Law-Radar. F/O John Wray-Flight Engineer.
Bottom row L-R: Sgt William Tamulovic-Radio. Sgt Charles Nuhler-CFC. Sgt Hilliard Martin-Left Gunner. Sgt Charles McAllister-Right Gunner. Sgt Victor Rose-Tail Gunner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:57 pm 

Thanks for the information and the corrections. Any ideas as to the markings on the nose gear door?

On a personal note, apparently the 6th bs was assigned to north field, Guam. My grandfather was a Seabee working on airfields on Guam from oct 44 till well after the war.

Last edited by croftonaviation on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Milk Run ?

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:24 pm 

Steve Birdsall wrote:
That particular Thunderbird was 42-63570, assigned to the 29th Bomb Group. I used a photo of it in Saga of the Superfortress.

I see a book purchase in my future, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:46 am 

Hello Tom

I just happened upon this post today. Amazing. My grandfather was the CFC gunner on the Thunderbird and is in the photos. Would you be willing to part with the photos? Or if not would you please scan the photos and email them to me? I would very much appreciate it. My email is ant20619@yahoo.com.

Ant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:13 pm 

AnthonyFerraro wrote:
Hello Tom

I just happened upon this post today. Amazing. My grandfather was the CFC gunner on the Thunderbird and is in the photos. Would you be willing to part with the photos? Or if not would you please scan the photos and email them to me? I would very much appreciate it. My email is ant20619@yahoo.com.

Ant

Thanks you for getting in contact with me. I will get an email over to you and we will get you copies of all the photos. Of course I would love to have your grandfathers name and tell me which person he is so I can add it to the picture.

Tom