Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:02 pm 

phil65 wrote:
Mark Allen M wrote:
What a shame. First it was the historical paint scheme accuracy nuts that were upset. Now it’s going to be all the fitness models who are pissed. That bomber can’t win.

Yuppers...... :lol:
Phil[/quote]

Yep, nothing screams historical accuracy more than a vinyl decal of a "modern" pinup model (on the bright side, vinyl transfers such as this can be removed fairly easily).

But then again, not my plane, not my money.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Given my long association with and deep love for the B-17G we knew as Chuckie, it rips my heart out to hear that she may get hacked up and turned into an "F" model. To do it right would be a huge and costly undertaking. To do anything less than a full conversion would just be a joke. As Zane pointed out, 44-8543 is the only remaining documented Pathfinder ship. That's a pretty significant historical tale that this airframe could tell, and I'm sure there were some wartime Pathfinder ships and crews worth honoring today. That's not to belittle the story of Ye Olde Pub by any means (that's a heck of a story, for sure).

Chuckie (the lady for whom '8543 was named) and I were talking about this whole thing today. She looked like she wanted to cry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:07 pm 

I find it ironic that in this thread is much complaining about the current scheme and the one proposed one while in one thread about FiFi are all the reasons that she must keep her current identity. As I have no skin in the game, am not paying for paint and do not have to maintain either one my opinion is inconsequential. However, I don't care if they paint them purple with green and orange spots, I will be happy to see and hear them fly.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Clifford Bossie wrote:
I find it ironic that in this thread is much complaining about the current scheme and the one proposed one while in one thread about FiFi are all the reasons that she must keep her current identity.

Now, don't start talking' logical on us! :)

Last week I learned here that Fifi was the wife of the guy who bankrolled the B-29, apparently so was "Chuckie"...and "Sally B" in the UK for that matter.
And no one complains about those names or their paint schemes (including the checkered cowl on Sally B's #3 engine).

So what we have here is a owner wanting to change the aircraft from a non-historic theme into one, and convert a "common" G into a seldom seen F...
also aren't the "Movie Memphis Belle" and "Sally B" faux Fs?
And no one complains...

some of you guys are hollering like the new guy wants to scrap it...or take it off flying status and pickle it in a museum.

We all have opinions, but let's try to be fair and consistent.

BTW: Where did the P-51 owner get a photo of my wife?
She won't be happy when she see's it, she usually isn't overdressed like that.

Last edited by JohnB on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My consistency has always been the same. If you can do it, do it right. If you can’t do it, do your best. MM was not a best effort, but since it’s someone else’s airplane, it is what it is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:33 am 

Ztex wrote:
My 2 cents worth.....

Chuckie is a pathfinder airplane...the only one left. She was a G model with radar installed in the ball turret position.

I wasn't real happy when they put the ball turret thing on her...and I'm not real excited about turning her into an F model.

The airplane could tell her own unique story about WWII and the advancement of radar technology that few outside this gaggle of warbirdgeeks know about.

But that's just me...and I don't have the cash to buy the airplane and make it right... so...

> rant over <

K5DH wrote:
Given my long association with and deep love for the B-17G we knew as Chuckie, it rips my heart out to hear that she may get hacked up and turned into an "F" model. To do it right would be a huge and costly undertaking. To do anything less than a full conversion would just be a joke. As Zane pointed out, 44-8543 is the only remaining documented Pathfinder ship.

44-8543 is the only flying Pathfinder B-17 left, with 44-8846 currently grounded in France being the only other surviving PFF Fort as well as being a combat veteran. That neither of them is representative of their original fitment is truly a shame.

401BG Association Historian & Honorary Life Member
401BG Historical Society (UK) Member
1st Air Division HQ Historical Society (UK) Founder Member
Director of Archives & Collections, Airfield Research Group Archive, Alconbury
RAF Alconbury Base Historian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Please reserve criticism or judgement until the driving force/great reason behind this change is revealed (though that may not be for a while yet). Nothing is being done to the airframe that is irreversible - no cutting, no airframe surgery, etc. Simply some things are being swapped in/out for others (bolt on/bolt off) to help produce a flying likeness of a B-17F, and quite well at that, for the time being, specifically depicting 'Ye Olde Pub' (- "A Higher Call" -).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Considering that the conversion doesn't sound too in-depth, I'd say its an interesting chance to honor a really interesting event that took place in WWII. Not to mention that Erickson has an authentic looking 109 that could be repainted into Franz Stigler's scheme, I can see this as a very interesting airshow act if both aircraft are flown together in some act with great music and some narration.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Considering the book was a best seller, no doubt read by people who normally wouldn't care about warbirds, it might be a way for our interest to attract new fans/audience.I
A good thing for everyone.

Let's try to look at it from a positive perspective.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:20 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
Please reserve criticism or judgement until the driving force/great reason behind this change is revealed (though that may not be for a while yet). Nothing is being done to the airframe that is irreversible - no cutting, no airframe surgery, etc. Simply some things are being swapped in/out for others (bolt on/bolt off) to help produce a flying likeness of a B-17F, and quite well at that, for the time being, specifically depicting 'Ye Olde Pub' (- "A Higher Call" -).

Sounds like a movie deal to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:

BTW: Where did the P-51 owner get a photo of my wife?
She won't be happy when she see's it, she usually isn't overdressed like that.

:D :D Now that is classic!

Tom P.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:43 am 

Work has already begun on her conversion.

The chin turret has been deleted, and the tail gun has been swapped out for an earlier model stinger tail gun. The top turret dome has also been replaced with an earlier model. Work is commencing on deleting the G-style cheek gun stations. She also already has OD/NG control surfaces in the rear.

According to the poster on Facebook, they do not plan to un-stagger the waist gun positions, which is disappointing if you're going to these other lengths to represent a historic B-17F.

Sorry I'm not able to post the photos here, can't seem to get it to work from my tablet. For those on Facebook, head over to the page "Fans of the B-17 Flying Fortress" to see the original post by Glenn Parker yesterday.

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:51 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the update... pop2

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:00 pm 

...yippee ki yay ! ....? ( sorry folks, couldn't find any thing new that wasn't already said ) ....now, to which P-40 makes a better restored 2 seater ?, an "E", or an "N" ? hmmmmm. geek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:50 pm 

Here's those photos posted on Facebook the other day that I wasn't able to show here. Photo credit to Glenn Parker and Glenn Parker only, who appears to be associated with the Liberty Foundation:

Image49172708_740606139656444_8620939187815710720_n by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

Image49151045_740606166323108_5021438950871400448_n by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

Image48956035_740606152989776_7332949882396737536_n by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

Image48908449_740606172989774_3596400997133451264_n by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

Photos posted here for topic reflection only, not intended for anything else.

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next