Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: ANY CHANCE OF SEEING THESE TYPE OF WARBIRDS FLYING?

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Here, a couple of shots of the JU88 at the Bodø Museum in Norway, taken 25 January 2015.

PeterA

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:32 pm

DaveM2 wrote:The Belgian Ju 88 example is owned by Chris Vanhee, I stayed with him back in 2000 for several days. He had major sections and almost everything to fit it out, but he will never get it to airworthy, he is one man with limited funds. IIRC he has been looking to sell what he has in recent years, but am not sure how that is progressing.

AFAIK, no examples in Europe are being rebuilt to airworthy, but there are several static museum restorations, mostly in Norway.

Thanks for the info Dave M2.

So, we now have deduced there are two separate Belgian Ju-88's. So, that begs the question - what is the status of Eric Vormezeele's Ju-88?

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:47 pm

DaveM2 wrote:The Belgian Ju 88 example is owned by Chris Vanhee, I stayed with him back in 2000 for several days. He had major sections and almost everything to fit it out, but he will never get it to airworthy, he is one man with limited funds. IIRC he has been looking to sell what he has in recent years, but am not sure how that is progressing.

AFAIK, no examples in Europe are being rebuilt to airworthy, but there are several static museum restorations, mostly in Norway.

Wow. It's a surprise. Never heard from about this project. Thanks for the information.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:50 pm

OD/NG wrote:

So, we now have deduced there are two separate Belgian Ju-88's. So, that begs the question - what is the status of Eric Vormezeele's Ju-88?

I don't believe EV has a Ju 88, Vanhee is the only one in Belgium.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 pm

DaveM2 wrote:
OD/NG wrote:

I don't believe EV has a Ju 88, Vanhee is the only one in Belgium.

O.K., thanks for the info. I could have sworn that Vormezeele had a Ju-88 at one time a while back.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:02 am

There is probably one at the bottom of the Black Sea, along with a whole lot of other types, in anerobic conditions.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 am

Dave Hadfield wrote:There is probably one at the bottom of the Black Sea, along with a whole lot of other types, in anerobic conditions.

There are several more various types at the bottom of Lake Jonsvatnet, Norway if I recall. Now if they will allow salvage and export.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:56 pm

While never abundant, we did have some B-26 Marauder flyers in previous decades. Would love to see one fly.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Please, correct me because very likely I am wrong.

BUT, I seem to recall an F9F brought back from Argentina, and I was told -never saw it- that it was flyable, and based at the Brazoria County airport.

I know that I have photos of it being removed from the shipping crate...

Saludos,

Tulio

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:28 pm

A long time ago during a tour stop in Arlington Washington we were given a tour of Paul Allen's storage hangar. There was a complete Panther project that came from South America and there was a claim that it had been flown by Ted Williams. Kermit Weeks also has a complete Panther but that airplane will probably never fly again.

Jim

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 am

I remember an article that appeared in one of the Warbird mags a few years back, about a lake in Europe that was drained due to too many fishing nets getting caught in junk, and they found a ton of stuff that included a complete B-17!

But, this was after the war and nothing was worth saving, thus it was all scrapped.

Anyone remember this article?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 pm

These are three of the photos I have of the F9F ex-Argentinean Navy. All photos used with permission from E-M.

Saludos,

Tulio
Attachments
Arg Cougar 02.JPG
Arg Cougar 02.JPG (315.61 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Arg Cougar 05.JPG
Arg Cougar 05.JPG (252.78 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Arg Cougar 06.JPG
Arg Cougar 06.JPG (307.52 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Jesse C. wrote:I remember an article that appeared in one of the Warbird mags a few years back, about a lake in Europe that was drained due to too many fishing nets getting caught in junk, and they found a ton of stuff that included a complete B-17!

But, this was after the war and nothing was worth saving, thus it was all scrapped.

Ah yes, the infamous Zuiderzee! There was a great article about this in Air Classics magazine in the early 1970's. I have that issue, but haven't read it in a really long time. There were entire complete airframes recovered from that body of water, but I believe everything was scrapped. I don't believe anything other than a few small pieces have survived from the recoveries.

Here is a an old VHS video about the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpAXE4WIJM

Also, a map with crash locations:

https://www.backtonormandy.org/themes/3 ... erzee.html

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:51 pm

OD/NG wrote:
Jesse C. wrote:I remember an article that appeared in one of the Warbird mags a few years back, about a lake in Europe that was drained due to too many fishing nets getting caught in junk, and they found a ton of stuff that included a complete B-17!

Ah yes, the infamous Zuiderzee! There was a great article about this in Air Classics magazine in the early 1970's. I have that issue, but haven't read it in a really long time. There were entire complete airframes recovered from that body of water, but I believe everything was scrapped. I don't believe anything other than a few small pieces have survived from the recoveries.

Here is a an old VHS video about the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpAXE4WIJM

Also, a map with crash locations:

https://www.backtonormandy.org/themes/3 ... erzee.html

As I recall the article was titled "Harvesting the Zuiderzee".

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Here's the Cavanaugh F9F as seen in October:
DSC_2769_resize by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

And here's Kermit Weeks' F9F. This photo is from 2002 but it wouldn't surprise me if it is still in the same condition.
IM000856_crop by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

Might as well include Cavanaugh's Casa 2111:
DSC_2782_resize by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr
Post a reply