Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

OT but relivant to the site. Flickr users beware!

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 pm

Public Service Annoucement...

Flicker users beware...

Free members with more than (a combination of) 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8th, 2019 to upgrade to Pro or download content over that limit. After January 8th, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5th, 2019, for free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos and/or videos, we will begin actively deleting content from your account starting from oldest to newest date uploaded to meet the new limit.

This means I need to find a new home for about 13123 images, and all of the ones posted on here and any other forum will be gone. Epic Fail.

Will

Re: OT but relivant to the site. Flickr users beware!

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Yeah, they are definitely changing things up. I don't have as many as you do, but I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:38 am

At this point I wouldn't trust any hosting service. At least Flickr doesn't seem to be trying hold your images hostage or charge ridiculous fees like photobucket did.

My suggestion. Register a domain name and get a basic hosting plan. This allows you to host your own pictures. You can keep it simple or go nuts. The point of this path is that it future proofs your image location. You don't like your host, move. Because you have a domain name of your own the links will stay the same. I use this method for WIX (http://warbirdsresourcegroup.org/pix_for_wix/

If there is interest I can go into further details.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:41 am

Scott WRG Editor wrote:At this point I wouldn't trust any hosting service. At least Flickr doesn't seem to be trying hold your images hostage or charge ridiculous fees like photobucket did.

If you do a few quick searches in Google you can find several options to view your ransomed embedded Photobucket images that are being blocked. (search: photobucket embedded image fix).

Also there is another Mozilla or chrome cheap browser plugin that will allow you to download all of your photos & albums to your desktop from Photobucket without having to pay for a premium Photobucket account. (search: Photobucket Album Downloader or something in that ballpark).

These worked for me but it's been a little while since I attempted them. The download feature I believe should look like the below image borrowed from Google.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Scott WRG Editor wrote:At this point I wouldn't trust any hosting service. At least Flickr doesn't seem to be trying hold your images hostage or charge ridiculous fees like photobucket did.

My suggestion. Register a domain name and get a basic hosting plan. This allows you to host your own pictures. You can keep it simple or go nuts. The point of this path is that it future proofs your image location. You don't like your host, move. Because you have a domain name of your own the links will stay the same. I use this method for WIX (http://warbirdsresourcegroup.org/pix_for_wix/

As a Pro Flickr user, I am relieved that a more sustainable model is being attempted, rather than an unworkable one meaning the platform is abandoned. Regardless I am interested in the details you mention. My home will have a fibre connection in a few months (it's being laid in/over the street now) which will make a full cloud backup practical. And I had identified your approach as the best long-term solution.
Do you use a tool to manage and present the photos? For instance, I've seen a recommendation for http://piwigo.org/ but not by someone that shares embeds to forums.
Last edited by ErrolC on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 pm

Crap-O. Got over 4500 pictures in Flickr, so I went ahead with Pro - got too many images on WIX to have 'em get pulled; plus (o/t) I really want to keep my Aztec photos available as a historic resource.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Have you gents got links to your flickr profiles?

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Brenden S wrote:Have you gents got links to your flickr profiles?

Link in my WIX profile

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:19 am

Brenden S wrote:Have you gents got links to your flickr profiles?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47309961@N03/albums

Get it while its hot, because its going to be gone in the near future. I cannot justify paying for a site to park my pics when I can pay the same amount to have a real website where I can sell some of them.

Will

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:17 am

This was the route I took. I had enough of the endless popups and delays/slow response and then finally extortion of the photo hosting services.

I registered a domain and once I get going I'll put my photos there.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I just moved to Flickr to post photos of a model airplane contest Just a few over 300 images at present so I guess I'm OK for now.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Just curious, what do you think would be a fair monthly rate for hosting images?

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:32 am

Some great images there.
Personally I would just make some extra Flickr pages to keep going. Stuff them to be honest.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Brenden S wrote:Some great images there.
Personally I would just make some extra Flickr pages to keep going. Stuff them to be honest.

The trouble there is keeping track of them. That said, my Oshkosh album would still be 700+ pics short.

Does anyone know of a Wordpress format that would work like flickr allowing huge batch uploads rather than having to program each and every shot? I have a wordpress page, but I haven't found a good format to build the page from.

As for what do I think is fare to host pics? I'm not sure. Does the site have ads on it? If its got a bunch of ads that aren't in my control, I'd say free because I'm bringing the site business when people look at my stuff. No ads? Not sure. Honestly, I don't care if there are ads as long as I can upload a full resolution pic and be able to share it elsewhere. Paying to host pics and nothing more seems kinda silly if I can pay to have my own site that will pay for itself. I just need to figure out how to build such a site.

Will
Post a reply