Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:32 pm 

Dennis7423 wrote:
I too hope that they do something different and put her in a winter camo. However, I think it would provide some more awesome visuals if every winter, when the temperature drops up in Washington, that they "white wash" all of their appropriate aircraft to reflect those winter camo colors they would wear during WWII (Il-2, Storch, Fw-190, I-16, Po-2, and eventually the Stuka). It would be very pleasing to the eye!

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

Interesting idea to use a washable top coat to whitewash those aircraft for some winter photo shoots, provided it doesn't degrade the expensive original paint.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dennis7423 wrote:
I think it would provide some more awesome visuals if every winter, when the temperature drops up in Washington ...

When the temperature drops from 75F to 65F, you mean? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. I agree that a temporary white coat is a great idea, and would look awesome over Mt. Rainier.

August

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:17 pm 
KiwiZac

Dan K wrote:
Shall we assume that she's being rebuilt as an R-4 based on the best-available powerplant?

I assume she's being rebuilt as an R-4 as the display board next to it - and the website - say it's an R-4. geek

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

KiwiZac wrote:
Dan K wrote:
Shall we assume that she's being rebuilt as an R-4 based on the best-available powerplant?

I assume she's being rebuilt as an R-4 as the display board next to it - and the website - say it's an R-4. geek

Question: Aren't you even the least-bit curious why every source of info on Werknummer 0875709 identified the craft as an R-2, up until the appearance of your linked website?

Is it possible that during the restoration process, it was determined that the most-viable powerplant for restoration was a Jumo 211J, rather than her original 211D?

I await your researched answer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Soooo... we're on page 4 already. Did anyone actually go take pictures? pop2

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 am 

RyanShort1 wrote:
Soooo... we're on page 4 already. Did anyone actually go take pictures? pop2

Here is a good walk-around video Lots of work to do if they want to fly in two years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7aDqVkK3Ag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:34 pm 
KiwiZac

Dan K wrote:
Question: Aren't you even the least-bit curious why every source of info on Werknummer 0875709 identified the craft as an R-2, up until the appearance of your linked website?

Is it possible that during the restoration process, it was determined that the most-viable powerplant for restoration was a Jumo 211J, rather than her original 211D?

I await your researched answer.

I'm incredibly curious! And confused! You've seen the sum total of my amateur research I'm afraid, I'm eagerly awaiting those more "in the know" to be able to chime in with more information. My guess is that the so-far-unknown second wreck is an R-4, but I've no clue as to the WkNr or origin of it.

It's all part of what makes this project so fascinating to me!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:18 pm 

KiwiZac wrote:
I'm incredibly curious! And confused! You've seen the sum total of my amateur research I'm afraid, I'm eagerly awaiting those more "in the know" to be able to chime in with more information. My guess is that the so-far-unknown second wreck is an R-4, but I've no clue as to the WkNr or origin of it.

It's all part of what makes this project so fascinating to me!

The only Ju-87B/R-4 variant I can find is Wk.Nr. 1394 5./St.G.1, which is partial wreck that was in the UK. Listed as partial cockpit, aft fuselage and landing gear parts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

FHCAM have confirmed the majority of the air frame is based on Ju 87R-4 wk.nr. 6234. Minor parts were supplied from wk.nr. 5709

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:55 am 

Quote:
Ju 87R

Belgium

SD

Wreck and parts recovered for Belgium 1998/1999 includes parts from several aircraft including Ju 87R W.Nr 5820 of SG 102

Phil Mertons collection?Gone to......?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DaveM2 wrote:
FHCAM have confirmed the majority of the air frame is based on Ju 87R-4 wk.nr. 6234. Minor parts were supplied from wk.nr. 5709

It's a fair cop.

I blame society.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:38 am 
KiwiZac

Thanks Dave! Very exciting to know that 6234 will fly again after a couple of false starts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I wouldn’t call it a data plate restoration. That could be taken the wrong way. There just aren’t any intact Stukas sitting in a playground, on a stick , or anywhere for that matter. In the case of such a difficult restoration, no doubt they were thrilled to use original material as much as possible.
However, it reminds me of one of the Flug Werk FW-190 kits. So much has been accomplished but I don’t see any wiring, avionics, landing gear, etc. Lots of work remains to be done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm 

Now getting her paint on..
https://www.facebook.com/flyingheritage ... =2&theater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 pm 
KiwiZac

Cool. A tantalising teaser of a clip, but still very cool to see! Thanks so much for the link.

I was hoping for a more green camo, but I'm not going to complain. It's a flying Stuka!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next