Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

My pleasure Joe. I continue to process my photos and will post other things that struck my fancy as I come across them.

I checked my files for old pics of Air Camper 13691, but the oldest slides I have of it are only from 1978. Practically last week!

Disappointed not to run across Baldeagle's Travel Air. I spent enough time in the antique area where it must have been, but somehow missed it. :|

August

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:44 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 pm 

All I have from the XP-82:

And the H-model:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:02 pm 

Here's just a few of the Heritage flights - they had them almost every day:

This was from the Wednesday Evening show IIRC:

And how about the best view of Doc's take off?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:37 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Although it isn’t as flawlessly shiny as it was before it lost it’s hangar space ten years ago, Doc is much shinier this year than last. It’s looking great.
Also, would love to see a photo of the P-82 and P-51H in formation for comparison. Would also like to see th P-51H in formation with a TF -51 or any P-51 with the Cavalier high vertical fin. I bet their design is noticeably different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:02 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Some pics of this have been posted before, but it's worth a second look. Moth NC431 is the latest out of the shop of Mike Maniatis. He is best known for the DH71 Tiger Moth monoplane racer that he built in his New York City apartment in the 1990s. He has also turned out a couple of DH82 Tiger Moths, a Moth Major (I'm told a replica based on a Tiger Moth fuselage with scratch built unswept wings), and acquired DH-60M CF-AAJ a few years ago. I understand he bases his collection at the Old Orchard Airpark in Modena, NY. I've seen his DH71 and Moth Major, they're both very nice, but this might be his best work yet, and won a well deserved Bronze Lindy.

I didn't see any Tiger Moths at OSH this year, for the second year running (except for EAA's static one last year). What is up with this? Are numbers of the type dwindling, or are they just not making the trek to OSH any more? Come to think of it, there seem to be fewer Stearmans than in the old days as well.

August

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:23 am 

marine air wrote:
Although it isn’t as flawlessly shiny as it was before it lost it’s hangar space ten years ago, Doc is much shinier this year than last. It’s looking great.
Also, would love to see a photo of the P-82 and P-51H in formation for comparison. Would also like to see th P-51H in formation with a TF -51 or any P-51 with the Cavalier high vertical fin. I bet their design is noticeably different.

The H-model took off and flew as a solo during the Mustang mass flight. Never saw it form up on anyone else nor do I remember seeing it again after that evening. The XP took off with Doc as highlighted earlier and flew again as a solo on Saturday near the end of the show. Someone’s going to have to Photoshop them together, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

One small parking area at OSH was for the "Oshkosh 1970 Showplane Reunion" featuring antiques and homebuilts (now also antiques!) that had been at Oshkosh #1 (ignoring 1956 as noted by Baldeagle - click here for info and a cool map of the different layout of the airport at that time) and returned for #50. There were some nice planes there.

Bowers Fly Baby N608X was unusual in having come in 1970, then skipped 48 consecutive Oshkoshes and returned for 2019. It was built in 1968 and seems to be owned by the same Pennsylvania family that owned it in 1970. The web article EAA wrote on the plane said that this was its longest cross-country since Oshkosh 1970. Old photos in that article also show that it had the same paint scheme in 1970, although it looks so good that I doubt it's the same paint.

1940 J-3C N30369 came in from Michigan.

This pretty 1965-built Cassutt II makes me think there must be a lot of nice vintage homebuilts like this, scattered among all the RVs in homebuilt parking. Some year when I'm there for more than a couple of days, I really must go through that area more closely.

Another nice vintage sport racer, this is the one-off 1959 Hoffman X-1, "Sweet Potootie."

Sorry no warbirds in this post. The EAA P-64 was parked in this area for part of the week, which I guess was appropriate.

August

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am 

Great posts August!

I believe this Ryan ST was also part of the Showplane reunion.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks, I think you're right! I didn't take any photos of that beauty only because I had shot it before.

While we're talking Ryans, here are a couple more from around the field.

The EAA pulled out its own STM from the museum and positioned it, oddly, near the homebuilder forums. I only noticed it because it was on a direct line between the warbird area and my car in the main parking lot. The markings are from Guatemala. This plane was built up from parts of several supplied to Guatemala prewar.

And here's just a nice PT-22 that happened to taxi by me.

August

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21