Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Restorations
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:46 am 

I don't think I saw it posted here..? The FW at Gosshawk 8)

And POF's Buchon..?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 am 

marine air wrote:
I visited the CWH last week. The Fairey Firefly is having that crucial wing bolt fabricated at great cost. It had a big crack in the left wing pivot pin. That’s the only thing keeping it from flying again. The Harvard was being worked on after it landed gear up and will fly in 2019.
The we’re working on the TBM “Turkey” and it’s had a ton of work accomplished but to me looks like it will be 2020. The B-25 has a ton of work to go as does the Blenheim. The Fleet Fawn is airworthy but not being flown as it’s original brakes are “grabby” thus making it difficult to fly and it’s underpowered. Maybe one day it can receive disc brakes and be flown more.

The Avenger restoration in basically complete - the propeller still needs to be assembled and hung, some engine test runs and system checks are required plus we are still waiting for Transport Canada paperwork approval. Once it is test flown, it will be painted in the two tone grey Royal Canadian Navy scheme similar to our Firefly.

Initially, the Firefly was kept on the ground for propeller maintenance issues. Those were fixed and the propeller is back waiting to be hung. While this was happening, we discovered a hairline crack in one of the wing folding mechanism pieces. We had them custom made and decided to do both wings. So far, one wing has been reinstalled.

Our second Dakota, FZ692, a World War II veteran that flew in D-Day with the RAF and then spent the balance of WWII with 437 RCAF Squadron will be painted shortly in the Canadian scheme after some engine work is completed.

All of the above three aircraft mentioned are expected to fly in 2019.

The B-25 had engine work completed this summer and is currently in flying condition. The Fleet Fawn mentioned is actually a Fleet Finch and is currently not maintained in our flying program.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 pm 

Great to hear about all the Hard work going on at CWH, they SURE have their hands full !, But, I have to ask ;Any news on the Lysander ? Maybe not for 2019 ?, Thanks geek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:05 pm 

TBM Tony wrote:
Great to hear about all the Hard work going on at CWH, they SURE have their hands full !, But, I have to ask ;Any news on the Lysander ? Maybe not for 2019 ?, Thanks geek

Thanks Tony.

Regarding the Lysander - we have read online that the fuselage is bent which is not the case. We have obtained a replacement landing gear (one piece) and the engine is at the overhaul shop. Unfortunately, the Lysander has not been slotted into the restoration schedule yet but at some point, we do plan on returning our Lizzie to the skies once again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for all of that first hand info CWH.
May I ask where, one sends a Bristol Mercury, for care and attention these days?
I happened to be at the Shuttleworth collection in the U.K. shortly after the Lysander went down.
They had an undercarriage beam propped against the wall.
I commented to my friend that this was key to bringing a Lizzie back together. Glad to hear you have sourced one.

I also enjoyed seeing the progress on your DH82C this summer. C-GCWT is the first Tiger Moth I ever flew in.

Regards

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I was at the Planes of Fame museum last month. There's absolutely nothing going on with the Buchon. It's still sitting in the same shape with the same parts laying around as it was when they figured out they couldn't get it done in time for filming for the movie "Dunkirk."
The P-59 Airacomet is in the same exact state as three years ago. The nose wheel is still laying where is has been in fromt of the nose gear door. Engine nacelles open and lots of zinc chromate, no paint job as of yet.
The North American O-47A is still in the same shape as when I visited it ten years ago. Tons of work completed but nothing done in the last ten years. The Betty is gone as is the Duck that was there last visit. There were a couple guys working on small bits of what I was told was a P-40 but nothing bigger than what you could throw in the back seat of your car.
The B-25 looked like it was holding it's own and the Dauntless looked terrific in it's newer paint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I was at the Planes of Fame museum last month. There's absolutely nothing going on with the Buchon. It's still sitting in the same shape with the same parts laying around as it was when they figured out they couldn't get it done in time for filming for the movie "Dunkirk."
The P-59 Airacomet is in the same exact state as three years ago. The nose wheel is still laying where is has been in fromt of the nose gear door. Engine nacelles open and lots of zinc chromate, no paint job as of yet.
The North American O-47A is still in the same shape as when I visited it ten years ago. Tons of work completed but nothing done in the last ten years. The Betty is gone as is the Duck that was there last visit. There were a couple guys working on small bits of what I was told was a P-40 but nothing bigger than what you could throw in the back seat of your car.
The B-25 looked like it was holding it's own and the Dauntless looked terrific in it's newer paint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I saw the Lysander landing gear laying on the floor between the B-25 and T-6. It appeared to be in excellent condition,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:28 pm 

luft109 wrote:
Collings Foundation's F6F Hellcat?

From the American Aero Services Facebook page

Quote:
Fantastic job guys, Wings will be on soon ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the updates on projects at CWH! Loved visiting there for the Flyfest event back in 2014 and getting to see the Firefly, TBM, Tracker, Bolingbroke and others being worked on. There never seems to be a shortage of interesting activity taking place in Hamilton. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Avenger when it's completed and I'd love to see the Firefly in the air again, which I've only seen fly once.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:08 pm 

Thomas_Mac wrote:
luft109 wrote:
Collings Foundation's F6F Hellcat?

From the American Aero Services Facebook page

Quote:
Fantastic job guys, Wings will be on soon ?

Hopefully the hellcat makes a stop in LI where she was made

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:36 pm 

Also of interest, the Scottish rotec-powered 1 1/2 Strutter replica.
https://warbirdtails.net/2018/11/01/war ... ompletion/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 pm 

ErrolC wrote:
-MAM P-39 at Ardmore, NZ.

Hoped to fly at NZ Warbirds Open Day on November 18th. If not, will be on static (taxi?).
Quote:
In probably it’s only public viewing in New Zealand the Bell P-39 AIRACOBRA that has been beautifully rebuilt at Pioneer Aero Ltd will be on DISPLAY at the New Zealand Warbirds Armistice Day Open Day Sunday 18th November.
IF it is signed off in time and approved to fly - we may see it fly, but it will definitely be here on static display - Don't miss it !!
Once it is ready, it will be containerised and sent to the States to it's new owner.

Made presentable for the Open Day, still being worked on. Doesn't appear to be on the NZ or US register yet.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/errolgc/a ... 401094834/

Quote:
-Lewis Air Legends Mosquito at Avspecs, NZ.

Currently being painted. I'll be taking my camera to work during December, as I'm about 25 minutes from Ardmore. May be on static on the 18th (AvSpecs have done so with other nearly-complete projects).
https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/videos ... =3&theater

Mossie ready to fly, but test pilot not expected to be available in December 2018.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/errolgc/a ... 127567475/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm 

If all goes to plan, there should be some more yellow in the skies over Tillsonburg in 2019 :D

This past spring, CHAA returned Harvard Mk II AJ583 to the skies with a complete firewall-forward restoration.
She has flown almost 60 hours this season, including a trip to Oshkosh to take part in the 80th Anniversary of the T-6/Harvard and the RAF 100 celebrations.

We are currently doing the same firewall-forward restoration to Harvard Mk II 3830, which hasn't flown since mid 2016.
Her engine is currently being overhauled by Covington's, and she should be ready to fly by April or so.

Also, there's a good chance that our long-term Harvard Mk 4 project (20304/C-FBZT) should be taking to the skies (for the first time since she left the RCAF in 1964!) by the end of 2019.
Here's how she looked back in 2010 before we started her restoration:

....and here's a more recent view:

She will return to the same markings she wore when she was retired from the RCAF in 1964 (complete with Dayglo).
I took hundreds and hundreds of photos before the paint was stripped, so she will have the exact same stencils, markings, etc that she was wearing since her service days.

:partyman:

Last edited by rcaf_100 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:57 pm 

ErrolC wrote:
ErrolC wrote:
-MAM P-39 at Ardmore, NZ.

Hoped to fly at NZ Warbirds Open Day on November 18th. If not, will be on static (taxi?).
Quote:
In probably it’s only public viewing in New Zealand the Bell P-39 AIRACOBRA that has been beautifully rebuilt at Pioneer Aero Ltd will be on DISPLAY at the New Zealand Warbirds Armistice Day Open Day Sunday 18th November.
IF it is signed off in time and approved to fly - we may see it fly, but it will definitely be here on static display - Don't miss it !!
Once it is ready, it will be containerised and sent to the States to it's new owner.

Made presentable for the Open Day, still being worked on. Doesn't appear to be on the NZ or US register yet.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/errolgc/a ... 401094834/

Registered ZK-COB on 14th Dec as a P-39F. Will be N39FF. Has had engine runs.
So just possible that it will be 2018, but likely 2019

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next