Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Don'tcha' Wanna' Rata?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://courtesyaircraft.com/aircraft/n3 ... v-i-16-24/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

375K seems like it would be a relative bargain, although the engine needs to be rebuilt... no idea how much that might cost on an Ash 62.

It would be great to see one of these airborne; I don't know that Jerry Yagen has ever flown any of his Polikarpovs outside of the Po 2. And now he's got that gorgeous MiG-3 which, last I heard, is awaiting a repair to some landing gear component to make it airworthy.

Lynn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The one for sale is of course the one which the Commemorative Air Force has had since being donated in about 2001, but I don't think it has flown since the early 2000's. The last one flying in the US was the Paul Allen/FHC/Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum's I-16, though as far as I know the last time it flew was in 2011. The only guy that would fly it is Carter Teeters, who was also one of the few pilots to fly the CAF I-16 when it was operational.

Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Musuem owns the full compliment of an I-16, I-153 and an I-15 - all of which were airworthy/flying before being acquired but haven't been flown since joining the collection. I recall it was said on this forum some years back, from someone involved with the MAM, that the situation simply is that none of the Museum's pilots have any interest in flying them. They do have a bit of a reputation for being rather squirrely (there's been at least a couple ground loops with the Russian-based I-16/I-15/I-153 types over the years), and they also have very short endurance.

The I-16's to have been flown most recently/still active at this time are based in Germany, Spain and Russia - those being D-EPRN, EC-JRK, and RA-1561G.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I think that's a very fair price. The word I heard from one of Fagen's volunteer pilot was that his aircraft are airworthy but no one has the ballz to fly them. My suggestion would be to get on the phone and talk to everyone that has flown one in the last 20 years and get their input. Second, maybe hire Delmar Benjamin to flight test it and come up with some suitable techniques to fly it safely. Delmar flew the Gee Bee replica and performed aerobatics for a number of years . I always thought the RATA was inspired by the GEE BEE series of aircraft.
Last thoughts, the Russians operate in a much colder environment, with much more dense air . Maybe take it to Minnesota or somewhere in the winter and operate off a muddy high grass runway like they would have. A lot of people have commented that the YAK-3's etc. have a really small wing, however again. the Russians were typically operating in frigid air.

Last, as primitive, and short coupled as it is, it will require someone with excellent intuitive tailwheel skills. Airline captain skills not needed. Those of us with a lot of tailwheel instructor experience know what I'm talking about. Sometimes you have to act quickly and instinctively to regain control. There's no time for mechanical inputs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Would be nice to have one back here in NZ. Fond memories of seeing five Ratas and three Chaikas in the air together at WOW 1998 (Red Stars Rising).

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Perhaps a PIREP from one who has flown this example?

http://www.ksql.com/myriad/warbirds_poly.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I enjoyed seeing it flying at the CAF 2005 airshow. It was quite a surprise; one of several (good and bad) at that rather strange show. I guess maybe it has not flown, at least not for the public, since then?

August

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I remember on this site the Rata CAF pilot sharing his flight experience. Am I out to lunch??????

Stating that the fuel range and immersive environment made it a tough to plan AC to get around in general.

It was close in time to the last display flight the Shack had before in was ground bound and send to Pima many years afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The sound difference at takeoff is really cool....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xXzG1CRxo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:00 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Michel Lemieux wrote:
I remember on this site the Rata CAF pilot sharing his flight experience. Am I out to lunch??????

Probably not out to lunch, Michel. The WIX had 2 or 3(IIRC) major crashes starting about the mid-2000's. Months of stuff was lost each time. Thanks for the video! As mentioned the "short coupledness" of the Rata was one of the reasons it's pilots didn't favor it. I heard similar about the Grumman F3F we had here locally.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:05 pm 

I tend to agree with most of what has been said. From the pilots that I've talked to that have flown the Rata, they tell me that it is not an airplane for the novice or low-time taildragger pilot. It requires very specialized, highly tuned and advanced, experienced taildragger skills. One former modern Rata pilot who I talked to way back when told me that he had a TON of taildragger experience in lots of so-called "squirrely and short-coupled" aircraft such as Pitts, etc. He didn't seem to think it was any problem to fly, but based on his background and experience, that's what I would expect him to say.

The fact that 3 flyable Rata's in the United States haven't flown any in recent years is very telling of the demands of that aircraft.

Does anybody else think it is very unusual for the FHCAM's Rata to not have flown in about 7 years despite having virtually unlimited resources (Paul Allen), as well as access to the best warbird pilots in the world (The Hintons, Kevin Eldridge, Carter Teeters, etc.)? Hhhmm, there must be more to this story!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:25 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yes, I recall those magazine pieces where there were, what, 5 or 6 I-16/I-15/I-153s flying in formation in NZ? So I guess that's half a dozen pilots down there willing to fly one.

Here in the U.S., I'm sure there are any number of pilots willing and eager to fly the plane. The trick is to find one who's willing, eager, and also has the requisite experience and demonstrated proficiency to trust him with it. It might be no coincidence if there's no overlap on that Venn diagram.

August

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This guy seems to have a handle on it. The dual snap rolls at the top of a loop at about 4:30 were quite impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayGgWHfEqQ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

C VEICH wrote:
This guy seems to have a handle on it. The dual snap rolls at the top of a loop at about 4:30 were quite impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayGgWHfEqQ

Unfortunately this one is modified with the much lamented "airshow commentator supercharger".... :vom:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF