Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've been working on a Sporcle quiz of aircraft firsts and been doing some online research to determine the answers. Via a discussion on a Wikipedia talk page, I came across a biography of Jackie Cochran from the Air Force that states:
As a test pilot, she flew and tested the first turbo-supercharger ever installed on an aircraft engine in 1934. During the following two years, she became the first person to fly and test the forerunner to the Pratt & Whitney 1340 and 1535 engines. In 1938, she flew and tested the first wet wing ever installed on an aircraft. With Dr. Randolph Lovelace, she helped design the first oxygen mask, and then became the first person to fly above 20,000 feet wearing one.

Does anyone know what these two aircraft would have been?

I found another Air Force story on Cochrane that states she flew the Seversky AP-7 in the 1938 Bendix Race. Would this be the second aircraft mentioned?

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am 

Noha307 wrote:
During the following two years, she became the first person to fly and test the forerunner to the Pratt & Whitney 1340 and 1535 engines.

Well, there is clearly a mistake here. The R-1340 was initially designed in 1926, and in full production by 1928. So, a "few years later (after 1934)" would most certainly NOT have been a forerunner to the R-1340.

Since they clearly don't have their facts right, I think it is a guessing game as to what the "right" answer would be.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm 

Noha307 wrote:
I've been working on a Sporcle quiz of aircraft firsts and been doing some online research to determine the answers. Via a discussion on a Wikipedia talk page, I came across a biography of Jackie Cochran from the Air Force that states:
As a test pilot, she flew and tested the first turbo-supercharger ever installed on an aircraft engine in 1934. During the following two years, she became the first person to fly and test the forerunner to the Pratt & Whitney 1340 and 1535 engines. In 1938, she flew and tested the first wet wing ever installed on an aircraft. With Dr. Randolph Lovelace, she helped design the first oxygen mask, and then became the first person to fly above 20,000 feet wearing one.

Does anyone know what these two aircraft would have been?

I found another Air Force story on Cochrane that states she flew the Seversky AP-7 in the 1938 Bendix Race. Would this be the second aircraft mentioned?

Howard Hughes was testing/developing an oxygen mask for use in the H-1 long before Cochran and Dr. Lovelace.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:15 pm 

Noha307 wrote:

The first aircraft with a turbocharger was long before 1934. The Napier Lion had an option for a turbo in 1922 and I am sure there were others on both sides of the Atlantic.

Without a doubt Jackie Cochran was a pioneer and a competent pilot, but it seems someone is trying to embellish the story.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
Without a doubt Jackie Cochran was a pioneer and a competent pilot, but it seems someone is trying to embellish the story.

Thank god she did not vanish leaving no trace.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:13 am 

In doing some looking I found this and was amazed! Into the flight levels during the Civil War....and lived!

From Wiki: on 5 September 1862 an altitude record of 11.887 km (39,000 ft)-Henry Coxwell and James Glaisher in a balloon filled with coal gas. Glaisher lost consciousness during the ascent due to the low air pressure and cold temperature of −11 °C (12 °F).

Jackie Cochran was an amazing pilot and accomplished many of her personal goals throughout her life. Trying to find out exactly what turbo she had on what engine. Her beautiful Red Beech Staggerwing had a special R-985 that was supercharged..special scoops on the cowl, ect. A brilliant plane.

Edit: the article might be talking about this D-17W Staggerwing. Number 164 was built as NX18562 with a special test Wasp Jr. SC-G that made 600hp and had higher RPM limits than the standard engine. They only made one engine and it wasn’t successful enough for production.

Attachments:
ABB196DD-F378-4CDC-99C2-BC5163E6A118.jpeg
ABB196DD-F378-4CDC-99C2-BC5163E6A118.jpeg [ 190.48 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:09 am 

Both aircraft and pilot are lookers!