Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Hurricane Florence and the Spirit of NC

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:20 pm

There's a more than reasonable chance that it will be a cat.-astrophe when it makes landfall. The folks in the way of that thing just get out of there. Just get out. Don't worry about airplanes now. They can be fixed, you can't once your fished out of water or debris.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Lynn Allen wrote:
hurricane_yank wrote:
marine air wrote:Read an article this summer that talked about all these "100 year floods" and "worst disaster ever" events that keep happening far more frequently.

Isn't it supposed to be a Cat. 2 when it makes landfall?

A 4+ pop2

Yup...and as per a few minutes ago, it's a Cat. 3 and has altered course southerly from its previous track. Having been thru many of these things it's best to think the worst and get out of the way based on its size. Weathermen don't get smarter when a hurricane is imminent. It's all educated guessing. They can stall and wonder around and build or weaken...ya just don't know. Good luck folks...

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:50 pm

IF they are tracking a straight line and decelerating then they are gaining strength. If they weaken then they are accelerating towards the coast and will get here more quickly than estimated. They can change a category overnight. What People and myself forget sometimes is that the tidal surge, position of the moon (full moon) and the sheer quantity of rain can be devastating. You can survive the overall storm only to have your house or airplane hit by one of the dozens of tornadoes that pop up around the eye of the tornado.
After the storm, you have heat, humidity, mosquitos, live powerlines (or not) laying around, telephone poles and trees lying on the road. Your refrigerated beef goes bad in a day or two. there's no law and order and in some cases looting and thieves out and about. Walls can cave in or roofs fall into the house. I was in the Virgin Islands for Hurricane Hugo in September 1989. It got pretty bad after the storm and a person is crazy not to leave for a while.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:46 pm

CAT 2 is still a pretty strong crosswind

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:52 pm

therealJR wrote:CAT 2 is still a pretty strong crosswind

Called a light breeze on the plains.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 pm

105 mph gusts have been recorded in Wilmington so far.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:55 pm

marine air wrote:IF they are tracking a straight line and decelerating then they are gaining strength. If they weaken then they are accelerating towards the coast and will get here more quickly than estimated. They can change a category overnight. What People and myself forget sometimes is that the tidal surge, position of the moon (full moon) and the sheer quantity of rain can be devastating. You can survive the overall storm only to have your house or airplane hit by one of the dozens of tornadoes that pop up around the eye of the tornado.
After the storm, you have heat, humidity, mosquitos, live powerlines (or not) laying around, telephone poles and trees lying on the road. Your refrigerated beef goes bad in a day or two. there's no law and order and in some cases looting and thieves out and about. Walls can cave in or roofs fall into the house. I was in the Virgin Islands for Hurricane Hugo in September 1989. It got pretty bad after the storm and a person is crazy not to leave for a while.

Are you saying the moons gravitational effect on tides varies according to how much of the moons surface is in sunlight when viewed from Earth?

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Has anyone had "eyes on" of the OS2U aboard USS North Carolina?

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:56 pm

JOMiller wrote:Has anyone had "eyes on" of the OS2U aboard USS North Carolina?

Nope, but I was reading a short clumsy comment on a Wilmington news site suggesting, "a plane appeared to be running" on the USS NC deck, but noted it was high winds that fueled it.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:54 pm

So is the DC-7 okay? Anyother aircraft related news from there?

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:20 am

I know that several USMC KC-130J's are perfectly safe because they're parked on various ramps and taxiways at Fort Worth Meacham Airport, including one that's backed into a taxiway in front of the VFM complex. I was hoping that we'd gotten a cool new donation, but, alas, that wasn't the case. :cry:

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:09 am

I believe this news photo shows the Spirit of NC survived:

https://apnews.com/7b65f460a82244d182e0 ... Wilmington

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:22 pm

800.jpg

Nose high with a big puddle underneath - is it full of water?

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Chris Brame wrote:
800.jpg

Nose high with a big puddle underneath - is it full of water?

Might just be sitting nose high because it doesn't have the weight of the props on it...
Post a reply