Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Snoopy is for sale

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:52 pm

I was reading the fall issue of Mustangs International and notice that Clay Lacy is selling his purple P-51! A chance for someone to own some history...

Re: Snoopy is for sale

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Yep, sad end of a legacy. Since Mr. Lacy doesn't fly any more, I guess it's time to find the next caretaker for this piece of history.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:53 pm

It will be interesting to see if the next owner keeps it in its civil scheme....or become another warbird with an assumed identity.

Back when Lacy first had the Mustang, few had military paint schemes (or if they did they were inauthentic), today it's rare to see a civil scheme.

I met Lacy a few years ago, seemed a nice guy. I hope he gets around to doing a biography. In case you don't know, his flying time is among the highest off any pilot in the world.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 am

An offer of $2M and its yours!.

Bob Hannah selling it for Clay...

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:40 pm

... Reno '68 ...

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Is there a picture of it in warbird colors when Clay first brought it? Maybe Dick Phillips can chime in, please...

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm hoping that sledge might have a picture of the "Banzai Mustang" paint version?
:D

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:18 pm

I have my own RC version! I saw her in real life when I was a kid at the Cape May NJ air races, I think she finished second.
Attachments
B0C3AB97-85FB-4A13-A950-2A094D568DBC.jpeg

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:54 am

Lon Moer wrote:I'm hoping that sledge might have a picture of the "Banzai Mustang" paint version?
:D

... Reno '64 ...

... is it "Banzai" or "Bonzai" ?

Sledge

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Did Clay enter the cross country race in 1964? The reason I ask is that big tank (looks like, anyway) behind the pilot's seat in these great photos. I don't think either spray bars or ADI were common at that point so a tank would seemingly have to be for fuel.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:30 pm

sledge39 wrote:... Reno '64 ...

... is it "Banzai" or "Bonzai" ?

Sledge

<>

Awesome! Thanks for the picture.
Attachments
P51-006.jpg

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 pm

It'll be interesting to see where it goes and what they do with it. A lot depends on if the buyer likes or dislikes the color chartreuse or whatever it is. It's cool for a few reasones, 1) It's a classic civvy scheme, 2) It has the race numbers, 3) It is reminiscent of Hoover's all yellow Mustangs and Clay Is famous in his own right.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 pm

It'll be interesting to see where it goes and what they do with it. A lot depends on if the buyer likes or dislikes the color chartreuse or whatever it is. It's cool for a few reasones, 1) It's a classic civvy scheme, 2) It has the race numbers, 3) It is reminiscent of Hoover's all yellow Mustangs and Clay Is famous in his own right.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:20 am

FYI, chartreuse is a green/yellow blend...had a pair of dayglo socks that color in grammar school in the 60's. As noted in Sledge's photo, Snoopy is Orchid, #da70d6 in the RGB color model...more commonly referred to as a "fuchsia" shade.
Post a reply