Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: The old CAF B-26 ...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not sure when or where this photo was taken. No info on it.
Looks like the nose wheel collapsed and pranged the props? Could the nose wheel be retracted solely and perhaps while parked with engines running?
Never-the-less still a tragic loss of this aircraft and crew. Very sad.

Post subject: Re: The old CAF B-26 ...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It collapsed on rollout after landing at airsho 85 in Harlingen. It was back in the Air a few months later.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:13 am 

Which begs the question- where is it now? In my ignorance, I thought that Kermit Weeks had the only flyable example.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:19 am 

Mark Sampson wrote:
Which begs the question- where is it now? In my ignorance, I thought that Kermit Weeks had the only flyable example.

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_ ... 406&akey=1

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=40623

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:34 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I saw what was left of the B-26, and there was not much you could identify as a B-26

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I saw it once...it was being painted in San Angelo circa 1985.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:05 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mark Sampson wrote:

"Begs the question" does not mean, "which leads me to wonder..."

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/too ... e-Question

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Randy Haskin wrote:
Mark Sampson wrote:

"Begs the question" does not mean, "which leads me to wonder..."

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/too ... e-Question

Randy, all I can say is that Mudge the Cunning Linguist would've been proud. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:32 pm 

This picture has special resonance for me, as my father and mother both worked at Martin, building B-26's. In fact, that's how they met - she was a "Rosie The Riveter" (actually a Quality Inspector), and he was her boss. I believe they saw "Carolyn" after it was restored to flying condition, when it was flown to visit a group of "Marauder Men" in the early 90's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:12 pm 

I was there & saw it happened, as the sun was setting & as I & others ran towards the runway as it was still sliding, I remember as I passed by Howard Pardue, standing there with an unlit cigar in hand & sunglasses and pointing to the '26 and telling his friend next to him, "Look at that S**T ! :shock: :? :cry: I'll NEVER forget that, it 's one of those things that I can recall as clear as day ! :?Thanks for posting that Pic., Mark A. !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:35 pm 

At the time of the fatal accident I was in the back seat of an AT-6 on a TraRon formation training flight not far from the accident site near Odessa. We were on discreet frequencies from normal traffic until returning to the airport in Odessa. As soon as we landed I was told I needed to call HQ in Midland. It was quite a shock as I was in the left seat of the B-26 the day or two before (it has been a few years), running up the engines and trying to get things ready for the flight crew when they arrived. Very sad event.

Randy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:50 pm 

The accident that still to this day reminds me that even really good pilots can get trapped into a corner. And Vernon, Tom, and Walter were all very experienced pilots. Speed is life in a multi-engine plane.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:31 pm 

Speedy wrote:
The accident that still to this day reminds me that even really good pilots can get trapped into a corner. And Vernon, Tom, and Walter were all very experienced pilots. Speed is life in a multi-engine plane.
Yes, quite true. Not a single pilot on this earth is immune from getting into bad situations, whether self-induced or not, no matter their experience level. Even Chuck Yeager destroyed his friends' T-6 due to his own pilot error shortly before he stopped flying high performance warbirds. Just a poignant reminder that nobody is immune from complacency!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:53 pm 

I spent many days over a couple of years helping restore her at Harlingen. Walter became a good friend. RIP chaps..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:04 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Randy Wilson wrote:
At the time of the fatal accident I was in the back seat of an AT-6 on a TraRon formation training flight not far from the accident site near Odessa. We were on discreet frequencies from normal traffic until returning to the airport in Odessa. As soon as we landed I was told I needed to call HQ in Midland. It was quite a shock as I was in the left seat of the B-26 the day or two before (it has been a few years), running up the engines and trying to get things ready for the flight crew when they arrived. Very sad event.

Randy

Carl and I arrived the next morning in his T-6, landing at about 2am, then was back out at the field at 7, Carl led a T-6 Flight. A couple hours later I had to deal with some over eager FAA types who were on Carl's plane, they had opened the front canopy and were in the process of removing the chute, saying they wanted to make sure the pack was current. I told them to get off the plane which they refused, Carl showed up and he told them to get off the plane and for me to go get a cop to arrest them. That got their attention, we got their cards and Carl promptly called the head FED, who he just happened to have his direct number. Last I heard, those 3 FAA types got a free trip to OK city for some "additional" training.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook