Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Volitan Aircraft Services and the T-6G

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:17 am

I am researching the history of a T-6G which was once 7726 with the SAAF and now resides in Turkey.

It isn't your normal T-6G as it seems it was built from a kit produced by the Volitan Aircraft Services Limited in the 1950s. Prior to creating a batch of 30 T-6Gs they also produced for the South Africans a batch of 65 airframes to AT-6D standard. These primarily consisted of AT-6A and Cs, SNJ-3 and 4s and included a few Venezuelan aircraft too.

But the T-6Gs were a different kettle of fish. None had 182- serials and all were given company SA prefixes by Volitan. 7726 was SA079. The only known matchup was SAAF7723 which was SA076 and originally 41-16857. These unusual construction numbers ranged from SA052 to about SA080. The majority of the T-6Gs were later sold to Paraguay, whilst 7726 was one of six sold in Chile in March 1993, first becoming N26WR and now N726KM.

So does anyone know anything about Volitan. I also believe that they worked on DC-3/C-47s too and if anyone has any more information on 7726/N726KM, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Martin Pengelly

Re: Volitan Aircraft Services and the T-6G

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:28 pm

On Geoff Goodall's website, Aviation History Site, a caption used is as follows;

Mosquito FB.VI N9909F (ex NZ2384) was photographed by Eddie Coates in 1958 at Pacoima, California,
where it was serviced by Volitan Inc for owner California Air Charter. Previous NZ registration ZK-BCV
is readable on the fuselage. Volitan later produced the Volpar range of Beech 18 modifications.

(My use of Red to highlight!)
Post a reply