Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Texas Flying Legends
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:42 am 

Been hearing rumours these aeroplanes are in the process of being sold on. I believe the P-40K, Corsair and Avenger have got to the Mid-America Flight Museum. I've also heard the Zero has been sold on and the B-25 will be if it isn't already. Has anyone heard anymore on this?

Post subject: Re: Texas Flying Legends
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:52 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I've only seen that the TFL P-40K and Avenger have recently been acquired by Mid America (though not the Corsair - Mid America already owns/operates the Corsair "Marines Dream", which they acquired from Tom Duffy a few years ago). Mid America also just recently acquired the ex-Tom Camp Wildcat.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:00 am 

JohnTerrell wrote:
I've only seen that the TFL P-40K and Avenger have recently been acquired by Mid America (though not the Corsair - Mid America already owns/operates the Corsair "Marines Dream", which they acquired from Tom Duffy a few years ago). Mid America also just recently acquired the ex-Tom Camp Wildcat.

Crossed wires then perhaps about the Corsair. Is there any indication as to where the other aircraft in the TFL fleet such as the Spitfire, P-40E, P-51's and Wildcat will go? What does this also mean for their restorations?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, particularly with projects underway (P-47 at Air Corps) or nearing completion (Bearcat at Ezell). It's always a shame to see a major collection like this broken up if that is indeed what is happening.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:21 pm 

I was wondering about TFL as I had checked their website (yeah, quaint, I know...) for 2018 appearances and only the 2017 stuff was listed.

I heard from a chap at the Breckenridge show that there was a divorce involved in the situation.

As Matt said, it will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.

I'm ever willing to do some relationship counseling for wealthy warbird owners - maybe in exchange for rides or air2air shoots? Just putting it out there - for the good of the community, of course. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:54 pm 

Vagabond wrote:
I was wondering about TFL as I had checked their website (yeah, quaint, I know...) for 2018 appearances and only the 2017 stuff was listed.

I heard from a chap at the Breckenridge show that there was a divorce involved in the situation.

As Matt said, it will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.

I'm ever willing to do some relationship counseling for wealthy warbird owners - maybe in exchange for rides or air2air shoots? Just putting it out there - for the good of the community, of course. :lol:

I heard the same thing, 2nd hand source, so don't count it as gospel. My impression (which could be wrong) is that the collection is not breaking up, but rather, just a "redistribution of resources" due to a divorce.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:12 pm 

I don't think this is a bad thing either. At most they usually take 6 or so planes to an event to do the "routine". They already had a pretty big collection that added Lopes, soon to be the Bearcat, and then the P-47. It's nice to see their sold planes going to a museum that is already flying them a ton! I could see them getting rid of one of the D Mustangs too and keeping a nice fleet with P-51C, P-51D, P-40, P-47, Corsair, Bearcat, Zero, Wildcat, Spitfire. I wouldn't mind seeing the Zero, Wildcat, and Spitfire heading to another museum.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

kalamazookid wrote:
It's always a shame to see a major collection like this broken up if that is indeed what is happening.

I'm not so sure I agree either. There is always the chance of an Evergreen or Kalamazoo so I think I would prefer if they weren't all concentrated in large collections.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:50 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Another group suffering for the effects of AIDS. Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:21 pm 

I have heard through the grapevine that the Bearcat will be for sale following Oshkosh. Its my understanding that the owners of the museum are kinda done with the whole thing. Time will tell.

Will

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:41 pm 

RIP Texas Flying Legends! Although this isn't official, I have now heard from at least 3 people "in the know" that the TFL is finished, breaking up, and all aircraft will be sold on. Some evidence that validates this includes the following:

1) The official Texas Flying Legends website has not been updated in some time, with no 2018 schedule posted at all. There are no events currently scheduled for 2018.

2) There hasn't been a single update on any of TFL's official social media sites including facebook, instagram, vimeo or youtube since last year.

3) Numerous TFL aircraft have been sold with the latest being the P-47 that just got sold.

So sad to see this collection being broken up as they were really starting to acquire some really cool stuff. At least they were around for a few years and gave us some good enjoyment while it lasted. I have no doubt that all aircraft will be going to good homes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought it was always cool how they would travel to the same locations every year. Especially their annual trek up to Maine. I tried multiple years to get them to stop over in Stratford when they were flying back down south. But to no avail unfortunately.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:53 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sad to see TFL go. I can't imagine it was a money maker, just an expensive hobby multiplied across many aircraft.

It was cool while it lasted! Glad they got to share the aircraft with so many veterans and the public.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:59 am 

I'm sad to hear about this. A great collection that I always enjoyed seeing. Plus, they seemed to keep their planes in mostly authentic livery. Here's hoping they all wind up in good homes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:05 am 

OD/NG wrote:
RIP Texas Flying Legends! Although this isn't official, I have now heard from at least 3 people "in the know" that the TFL is finished, breaking up, and all aircraft will be sold on. Some evidence that validates this includes the following:

1) The official Texas Flying Legends website has not been updated in some time, with no 2018 schedule posted at all. There are no events currently scheduled for 2018.

2) There hasn't been a single update on any of TFL's official social media sites including facebook, instagram, vimeo or youtube since last year.

3) Numerous TFL aircraft have been sold with the latest being the P-47 that just got sold.

So sad to see this collection being broken up as they were really starting to acquire some really cool stuff. At least they were around for a few years and gave us some good enjoyment while it lasted. I have no doubt that all aircraft will be going to good homes.

Where is the P-47 going to? Last I heard the B-25 and Corsair were still for sale and the P-51C and Spitfire were staying with the organisation.