Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Anyone own a vintage Warbird N-number?

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:16 am

Noha307 wrote:
JohnB wrote:I agree, the feds wouldn't care.
However I believe they did freeze Earhart's Electras N-number....don't really know why. Hardly a federal concern.
And perhaps they have also blocked N(X)211?

You weren't kidding. N[R]16020 is "permanently reserved" to Amelia Earhart. Fascinating, I've never seen anything like that. It was reserved on 19 February 1988, so if any commemorations or other events related to her happened around that date, they are probably the cause. Also, it has an assigned mode S code. Seems like someone should have checked for her transponder during the search... :lol:

Also, N[X]211 is registered to the EAA's replica Spirit of St. Louis.

As a further small note regarding NX211, this number was retained by Lindbergh after the retirement of the Ryan NYP and was assigned to his personal Monocoupe 90, which today is displayed at Lambert Airport in St. Louis.

Also, NX211 has been assigned to both of the EAA replicas, the one built in the 1970s and the one built in the 1990s. So all together, at least 4 aircraft have been registered NX211.

August
Attachments
IMG_4493-800x.jpg

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:56 pm

In case anyone was wondering, "I went ahead and did it..." :wink:
B-18A 39-025 N62477.jpg

Reading about the history of this plane and B-18s in general, when I was a kid, was one of the things that started my interest in Warbirds. I should have confirmation in a couple weeks. :D

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:42 am

Not precisely a warbird, but years ago I managed to get the N-number of the NASA M2-F1 Lifting Body demonstrator. I might assign it to a glider someday. :-)

Post a reply