Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here's an interesting old flick about Lady Be Good. At about the 28 minute mark the officer that took and used the B-24's radio explains how that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8RM-gf0OI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Michel Lemieux wrote:
For me it was the armrest in the Otter....why!!!!

I agree, even as a kid when I heard these stories the first time., it made no sense to me.
That said, in the Army I knew a TC for an M1A1 tank who had a Sherman tank seat installed in the place of the issued seat. His grandfather had commanded a Sherman and he just wanted the seat in there. A lot of work went into that and I never understood how he got that work done without someone just swapping the correct seat back into the turret.
When he PCS'd for his next assignment, the seat went with him.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Michel Lemieux wrote:

Quote:
For me it was the armrest in the Otter....why!!!!

I have a similar question: how would they recognize an armrest washed ashore from a crashed airplane as THE SAME armrest from the LBG? I mean, the Otter had more than one armrest, and one can assume the documentation was so-so at best.

This has all the markings of an urban myth. These things can come up soon after the incident and get oft-repeated, even after investigators have knocked down / discredited and published on the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There is some truth to some parts of the "Lady's" story, and some parts of the legend, are false. One day the person who holds a key to the legend will speak out!
As for me, I was told told to....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks again there Gary for all the help getting that ring cowl and stuff a couple years ago. It all made it home safe and sound. I really enjoyed the talk.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:11 pm 

Just a couple of general observations.

I was a Detective/Criminal Investigator for 12 years. In that time I found that the vast majority of people really, really, really, don't want to believe anything out of the ordinary. Sure there are that small group that get all the press who believe in Bigfoot rescueing Amelia Earhard in a UFO. However; they really are the small, but well seen, minority.

In my time I have seen a few really strange coincidences.

We had a man shot in a park in front of over a hundred witnesses. A man less than 15 feet from the victim heard the shot and drew a firearm that he had concealed on his person. We had over a hundred witness statements that said that that person was the shooter..100 percent! I had ONE witness who told me that she heard a shot from a parking garage. To make a long story somewhat short, I was able to find the place that the real shooter had shot from. I found the shell casing and was able to eventually make an arrest. Yet to this day there are people who refuse to believe that the first man was not the shooter.

The second was a call we got that a helicopter was flying around very low in our Downtown area ( San Francisco). The public took up a stance that generally ridiculed anyone who saw such and "impossible" thing. The problem? The Army at the Presidio had contacted us and requested that we not investigate or comment on it, as it was an unauthorized flight from Hamilton AAF in Novato and they were handling it....

Lastly a personal experiance. I was in the Army and was in Phoenix during the famous Phoenix light event. My buddy, who I was helping move and watched it for a long time. At the end I asked him what he thought it was. His reply? "I don't know what it is, but it's NOT a UFO ( though it is technically exactly that)" The other people who were out there with us watching it, said almost exactly the same thing. Now I'm not saying what it was, or what it was not; other than it was not flares as the Air Force reported. 39 years in the Army I know what flares look like, and so does my buddy, who also laughed when he read that. I'm just saying that no one there knew what it was but they were dead set against it being of off world origin. As an investigator I can't deny anything other than the impossible. It's this attitude of having a closed mind that frustrates me.

Coincidence do happen. That is why the word exist.