Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm 

Nathan wrote:
I stay away from remakes.

I haven't even seen any of the new star wars films! :shock:

hollywierd can't make anything original. Show of the times.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:34 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

leo wrote:
As one of the hosts on TCM laments, these movies were made before they knew how to blow up buildings and do extravagant chases.

Seriously? :wink:

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:51 am 

bdk wrote:
Richard W. wrote:
Something tells me they're not making this to celebrate our involvement in WWII. :)

I'm sure that wasn't the intent with the original either.

Sure, of course not.

I remember reading a profile of Joseph Heller a long time ago (I think it was the NYT Magazine) where the author went to a 340th BG reunion and interviewed men who had served with him during the war. Not sure if the article's author tried to represent both sides or not, but the guys he quoted hated the book, hated the movie, and all but said they hated Heller. The feeling was that he had smeared the character of their service, even if the book was fiction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:35 am 

I'll give you that there were some great stunts and special effects back in the day, but todays movies are nothing if they are not blowing things up and destroying whole planets as an integral part of the story. Just more story and dialogue back then as a rule.
My uncle claimed to have served in the same group as Heller and always said the book was very loosely about them. He left the service with a great deal of pride in his missions, his service, the men he served with, but with very little love for the military "machine".
I did notice that in his later years his stories got more dramatic so some of the historical facts I took with a grain of salt...
He was an unofficial group photographer and had albums full of photos. He also went to all the reunions as long as health allowed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just like the 8th AF project HBO says they're in eternal pre-production, it was always a given that CGI would create most of the needed airplanes.
"Unbroken" did a very good job with a mockup and CGI, I thought. As long as the production is done like that, it should be okay.
I just get so tired of CGI prop planes acting like F-16s at an airshow. Pilots react quick, planes don't react nearly as fast as CGI likes to show.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:40 am 

Nathan wrote:
I stay away from remakes.

I haven't even seen any of the new star wars films! :shock:

hollywierd can't make anything original. Show of the times.

Speaking of Star Wars, I just got around to seeing EP#8 The Last Jedi. The opening battle feature the Rebel's attack on a first order "Dreadnought". After Poe in his X-wing takes out the guns (AKA Flak Towers ?) they send in the "Bombers". I thought it was pretty cool and a nod to the WW2 movies. The bombers featured bomb bay doors, racks and bombs marked up with sayings. Also the crewmen in the bomb bay walking around wearing an O2 mask and full pressure get up. Nice touch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

CH2Tdriver wrote:
Speaking of Star Wars, I just got around to seeing EP#8 The Last Jedi. The opening battle feature the Rebel's attack on a first order "Dreadnought". After Poe in his X-wing takes out the guns (AKA Flak Towers ?) they send in the "Bombers". I thought it was pretty cool and a nod to the WW2 movies. The bombers featured bomb bay doors, racks and bombs marked up with sayings. Also the crewmen in the bomb bay walking around wearing an O2 mask and full pressure get up. Nice touch.

Yeah, but it was annoying to me as well. Gravity issues notwithstanding in regards to the bomb loads (I get artificial gravity on the ships, but why did gravity work outside that, as if they were dropping on a planet?), it was the insanely slow speed with which they approached. :shock:

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

p51 wrote:
Yeah, but it was annoying to me as well. Gravity issues notwithstanding in regards to the bomb loads (I get artificial gravity on the ships, but why did gravity work outside that, as if they were dropping on a planet?), it was the insanely slow speed with which they approached. :shock:

According to the Official Guidebook for TLJ, the bombs are released using “sequenced electromagnetic plates" and rely on magnetism to speed towards the target.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:01 pm 

Quote:
According to the Official Guidebook for TLJ, the bombs are released using “sequenced electromagnetic plates" and rely on magnetism to speed towards the target.

The truth is, it just looked cool. pop1

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:01 pm 

raconnel wrote:
Quote:

The truth is, it just looked cool. pop1

Richard

For those who don't know what we're talking about....The bomber attack begins at 2:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9seFVJuzRSM